I'm going with fired within the week.

Re: Lavin
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 09:25:23 AM »
I'm going with fired within the week.

I bet on Monday

Pete88

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 09:35:03 AM »
No idea what they will do.  But somehow I think they will screw it up, regardless of decision

paultzman

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 09:37:38 AM »
No idea what they will do.  But somehow I think they will screw it up, regardless of decision
A SJU tradition. :)

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 09:46:16 AM »

A different President and now (hopefully) common sense.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 09:49:00 AM »
Could see him simply resigning for optics. Or a "mutual" parting of ways

derk

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 10:00:07 AM »

A different President and now (hopefully) common sense.
thata the key. Who really knowa anything about this new president.

mkras99

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 10:05:58 AM »
Waiting on what Baldi's sources say, then betting the opposite.

TONYD3

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 10:06:46 AM »
At this point I can't really understand how anyone could be totally happy with the job he did. But I also can't understand how anyone would be so upset with him to Fire him without realizing what that will do to the program. If he is fired I think no Samson, no Jordan, no Obekpa, no Lovett.

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 10:08:03 AM »

How original

paultzman

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 10:14:40 AM »
Could see him simply resigning for optics. Or a "mutual" parting of ways
Yup

mkras99

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2015, 10:20:45 AM »
Thanks.

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2015, 10:32:44 AM »
Back or not, there is no way i want co back.

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2015, 10:36:35 AM »
Back or not, there is no way i want co back.
.Definitely do not want Chris back really selfish

TheVig

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2015, 10:43:30 AM »
I have no idea what the university will do but I know what I would do. He should be fired immediately. I Never would of thought that this program would have turned into the circus it has under Lavin. He came off as a polished professional who was receiving a second chance to prove himself and was going to do just that. Ever since the 2011 class his recruiting has fallen off a cliff and I don't want to even get into his coaching.

I've had season tickets the past two years because I wanted to believe he could get it done with the talent that remained. Like everything else with the program, it turned out to be a major disappointment. Now, I will never attend another game so long as he is the coach.

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2015, 10:43:34 AM »
We gave Norm 5 years, and we got a CBI invite. I'm not saying Lavin hasn't been somewhat of a disappointment but he has moved us in the right direction, and five years we have two NCAAs and two NITs (I know we only have the NIT win vs ST Joes) and one year he was out fighting cancer. I think this is a rare case where all options from all sides (fired, walks away, extension) have merit. Either way I'm still rooting like hell for them.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 10:43:53 AM by erickthered »

cjfish

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2015, 10:44:51 AM »
Probably best move is to keep Lavin....potential for next year is decent if ADR is eligible and he can get a couple of bigs...I am thinking short term...hate to sacrifice the next 2-4 years if we get a new guy....getting too old to be patient.  Re CO, pull his scholarship if possible, he has had enough chances.

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2015, 11:36:44 AM »

"Sources"  :2funny:

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2015, 11:41:36 AM »
Do you trust Lavin in the long term? SJU invested in Lavin and he brought in better players  (a herald top three...sort of) and the result was one post season win...In the NIT.  Lavin may bring in an even better class and most likely they will leave even sooner then the players from his first five years.  Do people on this board have faith that he learned his lesson and won't stop recruiting or at least change his strategy and stop swinging for the fences for every recruit and go for players that have character and are more of a guaranteed to stay three or four years and will not have as many off the court issue.

Even if Lavin is offered a three extension he still has an out after two years because he will need an extension soon after to continue to recruit, or he just leaves and we have to bring in a new coach that is stuck with a roster full of players that are not his.

If a new coach comes in he can recruit his own players right away and rebuild the program in his image. Is it better to suffer in the short term to build a better program in the long term.

I'm not saying fire Lavin, I will say I don't trust him at all. Something has to change in that atheltic department regardless of what happens to Lavin. Either new AD, new coach, change out assistance, new infrastructure, all the above, or some changes.

There is a new President that is already changing SJU (for the better) and some kind of change in the BBall program is a must to advance to the next level of actually winning games, rather then just being invited to them.
Cougar O' Malley

desco80

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2015, 11:51:10 AM »
If the school is to fire Lavin though, they'll still have to buyout his final season.
That isn't an insignificant amount of money to pay someone not to coach.  It could pay for several professors' salaries, or many scholarships.