Lavin

• 705 replies

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
Re: Lavin
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2015, 11:55:30 AM »
If the school is to fire Lavin though, they'll still have to buyout his final season.
That isn't an insignificant amount of money to pay someone not to coach.  It could pay for several professors' salaries, or many scholarships. 

This is the catch 22, they have to spend money regardless because they would have to extend him or else he can't recruit and currently there are not enough players to  field a team as of right now...Ripping off the bandaid is going to hurt no matter how fast or slow you do it.
Cougar O' Malley

Dan

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2015, 12:01:11 PM »
Either he gets an extension or is fired...letting him coach a lame duck season is asinine and is what happened with Rex Ryan with the Jets, they basically wasted an entire season.

Just can him, it's clear he's not the guy to get them to the next level.  The next level being consistently receiving at large bids, maybe a win or two in the NCAA tournament.  With his players, he's made the tournament once.

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2015, 12:01:13 PM »
I hope they keep Lavin so all the guys who claim they will never attend another game can put up or shut up.  Also, this board is going to be even more fun.  Can't wait!

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2015, 12:03:17 PM »
Who bought out Norms contract?

TONYD3

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2015, 12:04:48 PM »
If the school is to fire Lavin though, they'll still have to buyout his final season.
That isn't an insignificant amount of money to pay someone not to coach.  It could pay for several professors' salaries, or many scholarships. 
Plus paying a new coach who almost certainly would have an awful  first  few seasons Would kind of be shocked if he was fired.

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2015, 12:08:12 PM »
Amazing how people still want Lavin

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2015, 12:09:50 PM »

Amazing!

Pete88

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2015, 12:27:14 PM »

Amazing how you still wanted Norm

desco80

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2015, 12:32:14 PM »
Plus paying a new coach who almost certainly would have an awful  first  few seasons Would kind of be shocked if he was fired.

I don't think there's much of an impact on Jordan or Sampson whether Lavin or somebody like Miller or Hurley is coaching.
If Rysheed is going to go, he'll go regardless.
And Sampson was drawn by the playing time available.  So he could easily be convinced to stay. 

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2015, 12:37:10 PM »
Lavin blamed this loss on everyone else, even Amir Garret. Take some responsibility

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2015, 12:39:45 PM »
Lavin blamed this loss on everyone else, even Amir Garret. Take some responsibility

I'm half with you. He used so many excuses and its dumb. But he was without a 6-10 dumbass and that wasn't his fault.

The Moe, Jakarr, Amir shit is dumb though.

Anyway I just wanna win, so whatever happens happens, I'm with it as long as it's smart.

TONYD3

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2015, 12:44:19 PM »
No one said they wanted Lavin. With Lavin I think we could ok next year. With someone else I think we are Rutgers. 

QuanMan

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2015, 12:51:26 PM »
He's the man for the job, he's going to get extended.
Section 3
Section 116

Poison

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2015, 12:53:53 PM »
At this point I can't really understand how anyone could be totally happy with the job he did. But I also can't understand how anyone would be so upset with him to Fire him without realizing what that will do to the program. If he is fired I think no Samson, no Jordan, no Obekpa, no Lovett.

You make a valid point, but it's entirely possible, and actually expected that only Sampson will be joining the program. Think about like this: regardless of who comes in, next year is a rebuilding year. But, won't it be a rebuilding year if our starting 5 is Doughty, Sampson, Alibegovic, Balamou and Delarosa?

Seriously I don't think that team is any better than Hill, Jackson, Missere, Hamilton and Gray. It might even be worse.

Poison

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2015, 12:57:07 PM »

Garret has a lot of responsibility on his shoulders. He has to pitch inside, and throw strikes. Plus he has to rebound, make free throws and d up.

TONYD3

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2015, 12:57:35 PM »
I think he will get a few more players to add to that group. Lovett is possible. Add a Juco or 2 and the team isnt that bad.

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2015, 12:59:09 PM »

I'm half with you. He used so many excuses and its dumb. But he was without a 6-10 dumbass and that wasn't his fault.

Anyway I just wanna win, so whatever happens happens, I'm with it as long as it's smart.

Dayton has 6 scholarship players. No bigs. They just won 2 tourney games and did well in the A10 tourney.I don't want to hear how they are playing at home. We played at home in the Big East tourney and lost to the same team they just handled easily

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2015, 01:04:25 PM »

Dayton has 6 scholarship players. No bigs. They just won 2 tourney games and did well in the A10 tourney.I don't want to hear how they are playing at home. We played at home in the Big East tourney and lost to the same team they just handled easily

That Dayton/Providence game was a disgrace on so many levels. But again not really disagreeing with you. But Obekpa would have made a difference against SDSU no doubt in my mind.

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2015, 01:06:20 PM »

That Dayton/Providence game was a disgrace on so many levels. But again not really disagreeing with you. But Obekpa would have made a difference against SDSU no doubt in my mind.

Ya so would have Harkless, Amir and jakarr. Pointer and Harrison were great at the post game interview. No excuse. Lavin did them dirty

goredmen

« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2015, 01:06:50 PM »

Can't believe I actually had an argument a couple months ago about how Lavin would be better for this program than Archie. We missed the Archie boat now though. Might be the hottest name in the country this year