Lavin

• 705 replies

redslope

Re: Lavin
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2015, 01:06:52 PM »
Lavin blamed this loss on everyone else, even Amir Garret. Take some responsibility

I'm half with you. He used so many excuses and its dumb. But he was without a 6-10 dumbass and that wasn't his fault.

The Moe, Jakarr, Amir shit is dumb though.

Anyway I just wanna win, so whatever happens happens, I'm with it as long as it's smart.

Dayton has 6 scholarship players. No bigs. They just won 2 tourney games and did well in the A10 tourney.I don't want to hear how they are playing at home. We played at home in the Big East tourney and lost to the same team they just handled easily
We also BEAT that BE team twice during regular season--how quickly you forget

TONYD3

« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2015, 01:08:13 PM »
Lavin blamed this loss on everyone else, even Amir Garret. Take some responsibility

I'm half with you. He used so many excuses and its dumb. But he was without a 6-10 dumbass and that wasn't his fault.

Anyway I just wanna win, so whatever happens happens, I'm with it as long as it's smart.

Dayton has 6 scholarship players. No bigs. They just won 2 tourney games and did well in the A10 tourney.I don't want to hear how they are playing at home. We played at home in the Big East tourney and lost to the same team they just handled easily
What does Dayton have anything to do with Lavin? I would be fine with Dayton's coach. I dont think that is an option. Lavin is getting paid next year regardless. Either he is paid to coach or paid to stay home and we have to pay a different coach.

« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2015, 01:09:55 PM »

That Dayton/Providence game was a disgrace on so many levels. But again not really disagreeing with you. But Obekpa would have made a difference against SDSU no doubt in my mind.

Ya so would have Harkless, Amir and jakarr. Pointer and Harrison were great at the post game interview. No excuse. Lavin did them dirty

But I'm saying Harkless, Amir and Jakarr is a shitty excuse to use and it's dumb. There should be no excuses, even though there is one. Agreeing Lavin should man up.

redslope

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2015, 01:14:59 PM »
Whatever the school does they must do next week by Wednesday.  If it is an extension, I would do 3 years with an additional one year option of the school so when he recruits he can say he is here for the next 4 years.  You could then extend one year at the end of every year if successful.  If it is not an extension, they he must be bought out and we go back to square one.  I don't want a mid major coach as we see how well that worked for Seton and Rutgers (and even the Friars' coach last night couldn't win last night)  A mid major might be able to teach x's and o's but at the higher levels it is also about the recruiting which is a difference maker.

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2015, 01:19:35 PM »
I like Archie Miller but committee gave them essentially 3 home games

« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2015, 01:29:23 PM »
i think a decision has already been made.  i can't see them  making a decision with major financial ramifications as a result of last night, in just one or two days. lavin will likely have a meeting maybe as early as tomorrow to confirm his fate.

boo3

« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2015, 01:41:17 PM »
For the record, there is no way Miller or Hurley are coming here.   

So now what? 

Poison

« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2015, 01:41:41 PM »
Shaka Smart. Why is he still coaching at VCU? He'd be perfect for St.John's. That's a guy who can bring the program back to where it was. Our full court press was pathetic. Even last night, Branch is pressing in the backcourt and no one else is. Get rid of this pretender. 5 years and zero NCAA tourney wins.

« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2015, 01:42:45 PM »
Shaka is waiting for Roy Williams to retire no?

« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2015, 01:43:03 PM »
Shaka Smart. Why is he still coaching at VCU? He'd be perfect for St.John's. That's a guy who can bring the program back to where it was. Our full court press was pathetic. Even last night, Branch is pressing in the backcourt and no one else is. Get rid of this pretender. 5 years and zero NCAA tourney wins.

he's turned down better jobs.  not us.

boo3

« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2015, 01:44:39 PM »
Shaka said no to Ucl a a few years ago.  He'd laugh at St. John's.

Poison

« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2015, 01:45:45 PM »

So now what? 

How do you know that? Archie Miller is so in love with Ohio? Bobby Hurley is happy with lake effect winters? I don't buy that either wouldn't strongly consider St.John's.

The only thing that might have stood in the way of Hurley coming is Father Harrington, because of what he did to senior's former player Elijah Ingram. And for that, I'd agree with him. You don't go anywhere near that SOB.

boo3

« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2015, 01:48:47 PM »
Yeah, NYC winters are awesome.

Poison

« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2015, 01:48:48 PM »
Shaka said no to Ucl a a few years ago.  He'd laugh at St. John's.

UCLA is completely unreasonable situation. All we want is a consistant winner. It isn't just the school. A coach has to think about where he wants to make a life for his family, and New York is a sell that cannot be matched.

boo3

« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2015, 01:49:57 PM »
People are leaving NY in droves.  This isn't the 80s and 90s. 

« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2015, 01:50:44 PM »

So now what? 

if i'm them, i'm waiting for the Duke & CUSE jobs to open up.  keep winning at their respective schools and will be prime to take over those programs in a few years.

Poison

« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2015, 01:50:53 PM »
Yeah, NYC winters are awesome.

Millions of people pay quite a bit of money to live here. I might be a little harsh on the lesser, shittier places to live, (like anywhere in Ohio) but real estate doesn't lie.

desco80

« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2015, 01:53:25 PM »
People are leaving NY in droves.  This isn't the 80s and 90s.

that's misleading boo.   Nyc and the metro area are growing.   Upstate is losing population fast.   

« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2015, 01:53:47 PM »
This is my very first post of the season, and I post a lot,  that attempts to evaluate the overall performance and job status of coach Lavin.  I'm proud of that.

Hollywood ended a 7 year Ncaa tournament drought when he won with Norm seniors.  The knocks since have been that he only could win here with talent recruited by someone else and that Mike Dunlap was the brains of the operation and the true catalyst for that tournament run.  His second Ncaa run in 5 years disproves both.

2 Ncaa, 2 Nit births, 3 twenty win seasons and one prostate cancer missed season is a heck of an improvement on recent Johnny history.  This is a truly objective measure while recruiting success and failure will always be judged subjectively. 

He is a well known sports personality and a highly sought interview candidate recognized on a national stage. Granted he hasn't turned Sju into a basketball powerhouse but he does bring valued publicity to the program and has at least brought us back from obscurity to relevance.  He recruits Nba level players including back to back Be rookie of the years.

His reign being less than ideal is well documented on this board and is the truth.  Razor thin rosters, suspensions, transfers, early Nba entry, discipline problems, wardrobe issues, annoying coach speak, 0 Be tournament wins , Ncaa and Nit failure, odd starting lineups, untimely timeouts, etc. etc. etc.

Tallying it all up, the improvement in the numbers can not be ignored.  Hollywood's CONTRACT SHOULD BE EXTENDED. 

He may not be perfect...but his replacement could be less perfect.

boo3

« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2015, 01:57:24 PM »
This idea that NYC is the end all, be all, just isn't the case. 

We'll see how many hot coaching candidates can't withstand the allure of NY.