Lavin

• 705 replies
Re: Lavin
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2015, 04:24:50 PM »
I voted for the 4yr extension. 2 NCAAs and 2 NITs. Who was the last coach to pull that off? I think they named the court and the building that holds it after him.
Lavin has brought more brand to St Johns. Chicago is the second largest city, and who cares about DePaul? Fox Sports loved us this year, a lot of national exposure. 
Another factor, from the University point of view, will be revenue. Are applications up or down? I know they don't have trouble filling dorm space. Lavin is a brand, he loves the media and the media love him. Norm, Jarvis, Fran, Mahoney; none of them had Lavin's relationship with the national media.
I say give him another four.

jr49

« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2015, 04:26:18 PM »
Touch decision. School must commit for 3 or 4 years on a guess he has more then 2 guards on the way. If he was worth the extension should he already have next year's recruits in the bank. Based on the players he has brought in the last couple of seasons the answer must be no. If the adm. Knows stuff we don't, well, it's their money.

Foad

« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2015, 04:33:52 PM »
I voted for the 4yr extension. 2 NCAAs and 2 NITs. Who was the last coach to pull that off? I think they named the court and the building that holds it after him.

Jarvisecca Arena.

« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2015, 04:39:13 PM »
I hope Lavin brings in some bigs.  The way we faltered down the stretch to bigger teams can't be repeated.

boo3

« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2015, 04:46:02 PM »
I think it's 70/30 in favor of him staying. 

QuanMan

« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2015, 04:47:26 PM »
Section 3
Section 116

Poison

« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2015, 04:51:21 PM »
Lavin has brought more brand to St Johns. Chicago is the second largest city, and who cares about DePaul? Fox Sports loved us this year, a lot of national exposure. 
Another factor, from the University point of view, will be revenue. Are applications up or down? I know they don't have trouble filling dorm space. Lavin is a brand, he loves the media and the media love him. Norm, Jarvis, Fran, Mahoney; none of them had Lavin's relationship with the national media.
I say give him another four.

Mike Jarvis. You are talking about Mike Jarvis. He made the elite eight in his first year after the school graduated two NBA draft picks.

derk

« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2015, 05:10:08 PM »
Seems like hes changing his mind every minute. Obekpa has had too many chances. He should be kicked out. You cant screw your teamates the way he did.
We're in great hands, coach is staying, everyone needs to chill.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/steve-lavin-expects-to-be-extended-at-st-johns-says-theres-pretty-good-chance-obekpa-jordan-return-craig-randall-to-visit-st-johns/

« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2015, 05:11:41 PM »
if money is part of the problem, i suggest they cut keady off.  with all due respect, i honestly don't see his value. 

Poison

« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2015, 05:15:22 PM »
if money is part of the problem, i suggest they cut keady off.  with all due respect, i honestly don't see his value. 

He gives great pre game speeches. Seriously, how can anyone speak to his value without knowing what he's doing?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 05:15:47 PM by Poison »

Marillac

« Reply #91 on: March 21, 2015, 05:59:09 PM »
Bobby Hurley is going to win 30 games next season at Buffalo.  It will be too late.  Look at their roster for next season...insane.  They'd be top 5 in the Big East.  They return everyone but two players who averaged just over a combined 10 ppg.

They bring in the best recruiting class in school history, including a former top 75 recruit, Torian Graham, and a 6'5 juco wing that averaged 15 ppg at Midland. 

They have two outstanding young PGs, 6'1 Shannon Evans from Hargrave Prep, that averaged 15.4 and 4.6, and outstanding freshman, Lamonte Bearden, who averaged 8.3 and 4.4 (2:1 assist to turnover) and was a beast driving against WV. 

« Reply #92 on: March 21, 2015, 06:18:14 PM »
Bobby Hurley is going to win 30 games next season at Buffalo.  It will be too late.  Look at their roster for next season...insane.  They'd be top 5 in the Big East.  They return everyone but two players who averaged just over a combined 10 ppg.

They bring in the best recruiting class in school history, including a former top 75 recruit, Torian Graham, and a 6'5 juco wing that averaged 15 ppg at Midland. 

They have two outstanding young PGs, 6'1 Shannon Evans from Hargrave Prep, that averaged 15.4 and 4.6, and outstanding freshman, Lamonte Bearden, who averaged 8.3 and 4.4 (2:1 assist to turnover) and was a beast driving against WV. 
Even though Father Harry was a clown Bobby Hurley would be a Homerun hire.

« Reply #93 on: March 21, 2015, 06:20:31 PM »

hnk

« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2015, 06:24:13 PM »
" I owe this guy my life"   He should get an extension just for that.

redslope

« Reply #95 on: March 21, 2015, 06:37:39 PM »

Why would he want to leave now?  The scenario above would only enhance his value rather running off this year.

dR3w

« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2015, 06:43:25 PM »
Lavin said he was in extension talks last year
And you said he was gone ... "done deal".   So what's your point?  It's possible to be in negotiations and decide to put them off.

« Reply #97 on: March 21, 2015, 06:54:24 PM »
Lavin said he was in extension talks last year
And you said he was gone ... "done deal".   So what's your point?  It's possible to be in negotiations and decide to put them off.

Who cares what I say, besides my fans here and on redmen. . Funny how Lavin said yesterday he wouldn't be surprised if Obekpa was gone. And today he says he thinks both he and Jordan should be back, right before he says he is getting extension

Marillac

« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2015, 07:01:46 PM »

Why would he want to leave now?  The scenario above would only enhance his value rather running off this year.

Whether he'd come is a different question entirely.  I only laid out why I would go after him now.  If we wait even one more season, he'd be priced out of our market. One thing is for sure, Bobby Hurley's future is very bright.  Why wait for Bobby to improve the 14-win team he inherited from 19 wins to 23 wins to 30+ wins?  Go after him now.

« Reply #99 on: March 21, 2015, 07:14:49 PM »
We're in great hands, coach is staying, everyone needs to chill.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/steve-lavin-expects-to-be-extended-at-st-johns-says-theres-pretty-good-chance-obekpa-jordan-return-craig-randall-to-visit-st-johns/
Randall's father says he would be a good fit NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS. What could he mean other than even if Lavin is not here?