Lavin

• 705 replies

Marillac

Re: Lavin
« Reply #100 on: March 21, 2015, 07:21:37 PM »
We're in great hands, coach is staying, everyone needs to chill.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/steve-lavin-expects-to-be-extended-at-st-johns-says-theres-pretty-good-chance-obekpa-jordan-return-craig-randall-to-visit-st-johns/
Randall's father says he would be a good fit NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS. What could he mean other than even if Lavin is not here?

Rysheed Jordan.

hnk

« Reply #101 on: March 21, 2015, 07:22:14 PM »
Other recruits

« Reply #102 on: March 21, 2015, 07:24:49 PM »
Another SG?

« Reply #103 on: March 21, 2015, 08:42:25 PM »
Good answers guys! Guess my mind goes immediately to replacing Lavin.  :)

« Reply #104 on: March 21, 2015, 08:48:33 PM »
If you are not going to replace him with a definite upgrade like Miller, then just keep him. Too bad Norm didn't make the tourney 2 out of every 5 years, they would have renamed the arena after him.

Poison

« Reply #105 on: March 21, 2015, 09:07:34 PM »
People were asking for Lou to be fired. I really think it comes down to what you're used to. I'm not a fan of this blue collar don't rock the boat attitude. Two first round exits shouldn't be the culmination of Lavin's work. It shouldn't be acceptable to the University, and it shouldn't be acceptable to him-but it is.

Lavin keeps talking about how proud he is of them. He's not their parents. It just comes across like more deflecting on his part. He should he saying that he's proud of them for handling HIS terrible recruiting effort for this year, and last year.

« Reply #106 on: March 21, 2015, 11:13:01 PM »
Bobby Hurley is going to win 30 games next season at Buffalo.   

Ahhhh....no he's not.  The best Suny team, Albany, had a 15 and 1 conference record and didn't come near 30.  Temper down the exaggeration.

Marillac

« Reply #107 on: March 22, 2015, 01:31:08 AM »

Ahhhh....no he's not.  The best Suny team, Albany, had a 15 and 1 conference record and didn't come near 30.  Temper down the exaggeration.

Why do you think Albany's conference v. overall record has any connection to Buffalo's?  Albany plays in one of the worst conferences in all of college basketball.  That is why they can go 15-1 in conference and just 9-8 out of it while losing by 18 to a lousy 8-22 MAAC team like Niagara (who Buffalo beat by 26) and by ten to a NEC team like St. Francis PA.

Conversely, Buffalo went just 12-6 in a much tougher conference but finished with just one less win overall (and had a likely win cancelled due to weather) with a schedule that included games @ #1 Kentucky, @ # 6 Wisconsin, @ 18-win St. Bonaventure, and even @ NEC champ Robert Morris (15 point win).  Only two teams (Stony Brook being the other) had  winning out of conference records from the AEC, while NINE had winning out of conference records from the MAAC.

It's why a team like Eastern Michigan can go 8-10 in the MAAC but finish with 21 wins or a team like Akron can go 9-9 in the MAAC and finish with 21 wins. 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 01:37:46 AM by Marillac »

TONYD3

« Reply #108 on: March 22, 2015, 01:47:06 AM »
Suny Buffalo winning 30 basketball games. WOW!

Johnny23

« Reply #109 on: March 22, 2015, 02:19:33 AM »
This team will have about 7 SG's next year at this rate. Time to recruit some players above 6'9. I almost forgot, Lavin's system can never have enough 6'4 SG's and wings . From all the winning his teams are doing, it's obvious this plan is working...NOT! Seriously, this recruiting strategy is bizarre. Get some friggin bigs!

Of course Lavin should be gone. You don't just keep a coach out of fear that you can't find a better name. You base the coach's future on what his resume shows he's done. His track record at St. John's is decent. Unless you're an SJU fan who actually thinks this team is capable of finding a coach who can make them top 25 in most years. Under Lavin, this team and program sniffs the top 25 for a few weeks every 4 seasons.

Good enough? Depends on what your expectations for this program are.

A lot of young coaches like Andy Toole and big names like Hurley would definitely be interested in SJU. The question is would SJU be interested in them?

derk

« Reply #110 on: March 22, 2015, 10:58:05 AM »
The real question is a new president going to rock the boat in his first decision about the basketball program. With Louie whispering in his ear. I think not.

« Reply #111 on: March 22, 2015, 11:05:08 AM »
The real question is a new president going to rock the boat in his first decision about the basketball program. With Louie whispering in his ear. I think not.

Wasn't Louie the one who advised against hiring Calipari? How'd that workout?

TONYD3

« Reply #112 on: March 22, 2015, 11:14:14 AM »
Andy Toole may be a better coach. His practices may be better, his subs at games may be better, his in game coaching may be better. If he called Brandon Samspon, would Brandon even answer the phone? Plenty of crazy moments over the last 5 years. Plenty of disappointment. Sadly more excitement in a long time. If you take out Lavin's second year, which is reasonable. He had cancer and they were all freshman. HIs record the other 4 years which were so awful are not much different then- Georgetown, Xavier, Providence, Notre Dame or even Florida with Billy Donavan. Sometimes they had better records, sometimes we did.
A young coach moving up mulitlple levels with no players. How could that be a good idea?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 11:17:53 AM by TONYD3 »

« Reply #113 on: March 22, 2015, 11:34:17 AM »
Agree 100% Tony

« Reply #114 on: March 22, 2015, 11:37:49 AM »
What is Louie whispering this time?

« Reply #115 on: March 22, 2015, 10:10:04 PM »

Why do you think Albany's conference v. overall record has any connection to Buffalo's?  Albany plays in one of the worst conferences in all of college basketball.  That is why they can go 15-1 in conference and just 9-8 out of it while losing by 18 to a lousy 8-22 MAAC team like Niagara (who Buffalo beat by 26) and by ten to a NEC team like St. Francis PA.

Conversely, Buffalo went just 12-6 in a much tougher conference but finished with just one less win overall (and had a likely win cancelled due to weather) with a schedule that included games @ #1 Kentucky, @ # 6 Wisconsin, @ 18-win St. Bonaventure, and even @ NEC champ Robert Morris (15 point win).  Only two teams (Stony Brook being the other) had  winning out of conference records from the AEC, while NINE had winning out of conference records from the MAAC.

It's why a team like Eastern Michigan can go 8-10 in the MAAC but finish with 21 wins or a team like Akron can go 9-9 in the MAAC and finish with 21 wins. 

I don't have a problem with you saying Suny Buffalo is a good team that is going to be very good next year.  In fact,  I was darned impressed by your intimate knowledge of their recruiting. 

I'm just calling you out on your 30 win bullsh*t.  They went 12 and 6 in conference and had 23 wins total.  Even if they take a quantum leap to 16 and 2 next season,  that puts them at about 27 wins.

Albany has won 3 conference tournaments in a row and danced 3 times running.  That's not a successful program...that's a dynasty!  When they get there they play competitively with teams you might have heard of like Uconn, Duke and Florida.  Granted the bottom of the America East with Maine, Binghamton and UMBC is putrid.  But the Danes, Vermont and Stony brook are good every year and one other team is always decent.  Typically it's Hartford but this year New Hampshire.

Mid-American is a one bid league same as AEast.  They have no business looking down there noses even though they have so many household name basketball powers like Akron,  Toledo,  Ball State and Bowling Greene.

Albany hung tough and lost by 9 to a 4 seed.  The Bulls hung tough and lost by 5 to a 5 seed.  It's a tie.

The Danes are going to be great again next season.  Losing Sam Rowley will hurt, but an experienced 6' 11" 270 lb center like Richard Peters in the Aeast will do damage and  brother Mike Rowley will be better as well.  The backcourt of Hooley, Singletary and Sanders will be down right nasty.

Suny Buffalo and their Puke scum coach have a lot of work to do before they can compete to be "New York's Team",  as Suny Albany is!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 11:34:18 PM by carmineabbatiello »

Marillac

« Reply #116 on: March 23, 2015, 12:12:04 AM »

I don't have a problem with you saying Suny Buffalo is a good team that is going to be very good next year.  In fact,  I was darned impressed by your intimate knowledge of their recruiting. 

I'm just calling you out on your 30 win bullsh*t.  They went 12 and 6 in conference and had 23 wins total.  Even if they take a quantum leap to 16 and 2 next season,  that puts them at about 27 wins.

Albany has won 3 conference tournaments in a row and danced 3 times running.  That's not a successful program...that's a dynasty!  When they get there they play competitively with teams you might have heard of like Uconn, Duke and Florida.  Granted the bottom of the America East with Maine, Binghamton and UMBC is putrid.  But the Danes, Vermont and Stony brook are good every year and one other team is always decent.  Typically it's Hartford but this year New Hampshire.

Mid-American is a one bid league same as AEast.  They have no business looking down there noses even though they have so many household name basketball powers like Akron,  Toledo,  Ball State and Bowling Greene.

Albany hung tough and lost by 9 to a 4 seed.  The Bulls hung tough and lost by 5 to a 5 seed.  It's a tie.

The Danes are going to be great again next season.  Losing Sam Rowley will hurt, but an experienced 6' 11" 270 lb center like Richard Peters in the Aeast will do damage and  brother Mike Rowley will be better as well.  The backcourt of Hooley, Singletary and Sanders will be down right nasty.

Suny Buffalo and their Puke scum coach have a lot of work to do before they can compete to be "New York's Team",  as Suny Albany is!

If Buffalo improves from 12-6 to 15-3 in conference, plays the cancelled game against Montana State., and picks up three more wins out of conference, that is 30 wins right there...plus the tournament.  If Hurley remains, I'd be shocked if that squad didn't win a game or two in the tourney next year.  If they fall short, it won't be by much.  That is why I don't want to wait around for Hurley to "prove himself" any further.  Somebody will offer him either this year or next.  Next year will be too late for us.  Bobby has had 20 years to wash off that "Duke scum."

Chilleb

« Reply #117 on: March 23, 2015, 03:44:27 AM »
honestly i think we just miss on guys, why do christian jones and felix blamou have scholarships? when i see guys like scoochie smith, Cleanthony early (last year), hassan martin, isaiah cousins etc. the list goes on who are in other places and have openly said they would have loved to play in NYC ( Cleanthony said it in first knicks interview about finally being able to play at home). We miss on a lot of guys. coaching at SJU should be awesome with the whole tristate and near inner cities to recruit from.

« Reply #118 on: March 23, 2015, 03:49:21 AM »
Of course there will be the kid that wants to stay home like Moe, but can't blame most of these kids wanting to get away from some of the places they grew up. Look at Sheed.

Poison

« Reply #119 on: March 23, 2015, 07:54:44 AM »
honestly i think we just miss on guys, why do christian jones and felix blamou have scholarships? when i see guys like scoochie smith, Cleanthony early (last year), hassan martin, isaiah cousins etc. the list goes on who are in other places and have openly said they would have loved to play in NYC ( Cleanthony said it in first knicks interview about finally being able to play at home). We miss on a lot of guys. coaching at SJU should be awesome with the whole tristate and near inner cities to recruit from.

Staff doesn't evaluate talent very well. They picked a lot of overrated stars, and not one of their sleepers looks like a Big East player let alone a D1 player. Get out and work. Or don't because you're going to be fired.