Lavin

• 705 replies

derk

Re: Lavin
« Reply #120 on: March 23, 2015, 09:59:56 AM »
The real question is a new president going to rock the boat in his first decision about the basketball program. With Louie whispering in his ear. I think not.

You're misinterpreting my comment. A new president is not likely to fire a coach who at worst has improved the program and got it going in the right direction. And if he should consult Louie, what do you think Louie would recommend.
Wasn't Louie the one who advised against hiring Calipari? How'd that workout?

derk

« Reply #121 on: March 23, 2015, 10:04:20 AM »
The real question is a new president going to rock the boat in his first decision about the basketball program. With Louie whispering in his ear. I think not.
What is Louie whispering this time?

Keep Lavin. He's got the program going in the right direction ( that's Louie, not me )

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #122 on: March 23, 2015, 06:11:26 PM »

You're misinterpreting my comment. A new president is not likely to fire a coach who at worst has improved the program and got it going in the right direction. And if he should consult Louie, what do you think Louie would recommend.
Wasn't Louie the one who advised against hiring Calipari? How'd that workout?

Was Calipari befor of after Memphis...Still can't blame the school for that pass even now. Probably nothing fishy is going on in Kentucky (except for the one and done program, which is impressive), but SJU doesn't have the resources Kentucky has. what would Calipari have to do at SJUbto get them rolling?
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #123 on: March 23, 2015, 08:40:17 PM »
For the record, there is no way Miller or Hurley are coming here.   

So now what? 

How do you know that? Archie Miller is so in love with Ohio? Bobby Hurley is happy with lake effect winters? I don't buy that either wouldn't strongly consider St.John's.

The only thing that might have stood in the way of Hurley coming is Father Harrington, because of what he did to senior's former player Elijah Ingram. And for that, I'd agree with him. You don't go anywhere near that SOB.
The Millers are from Pa, right? Location is in his wheelhouse.  He'll have to see eye to eye with Prez and AD, and have a 6 year, 15MIL deal to even consider here.  He's more likely to sit tight, have another good year next year, and go to Indiana or some other big school program. 

Poison

« Reply #124 on: March 23, 2015, 09:10:28 PM »
For the record, there is no way Miller or Hurley are coming here.   

So now what? 

How do you know that? Archie Miller is so in love with Ohio? Bobby Hurley is happy with lake effect winters? I don't buy that either wouldn't strongly consider St.John's.

The only thing that might have stood in the way of Hurley coming is Father Harrington, because of what he did to senior's former player Elijah Ingram. And for that, I'd agree with him. You don't go anywhere near that SOB.
The Millers are from Pa, right? Location is in his wheelhouse.  He'll have to see eye to eye with Prez and AD, and have a 6 year, 15MIL deal to even consider here.  He's more likely to sit tight, have another good year next year, and go to Indiana or some other big school program. 

Indiana is no walk in the park either. Tom Crean has had some very good teams. Miller would be taking on a lot going there. Like UCLA, you better win, and you better win every year.

« Reply #125 on: March 23, 2015, 09:49:38 PM »
I recently read a great book about Hurley Sr. and St. Anthony's.  The book discusses the rumor that circulated when Jarvis was canned about Hurley Sr. taking the St. John's gig.  Senior chose not to pursue the opening - I have no idea if he was a real candidate - because of his devotion to St. Anthony's (which is why he has turned down countless other coaching opportunities at the college and pro ranks).    What is interesting is that in the book, both Hurley boys are quoted as pushing Senior to take the St. John's gig (they basically say you take this, and we will help you get players).  They describe the opportunity as perfect for him because of its proximity to Jersey City and the general makeup of the school (smaller, Catholic, rich in basketball tradition, games at MSG, great conference recruiting ties to the area, etc).  Danny Hurley is cited as being especially supportive, and comes off as being one who views the St. John's job in a favorable manner.   Now we know that Hurley Sr. isn't taking the job, but based on the book, I do think the Hurley family in general, and Danny/Bobby, view the situation as an attractive one.

Poison

« Reply #126 on: March 23, 2015, 10:01:31 PM »
I recently read a great book about Hurley Sr. and St. Anthony's.  The book discusses the rumor that circulated when Jarvis was canned about Hurley Sr. taking the St. John's gig.  Senior chose not to pursue the opening - I have no idea if he was a real candidate - because of his devotion to St. Anthony's (which is why he has turned down countless other coaching opportunities at the college and pro ranks).    What is interesting is that in the book, both Hurley boys are quoted as pushing Senior to take the St. John's gig (they basically say you take this, and we will help you get players).  They describe the opportunity as perfect for him because of its proximity to Jersey City and the general makeup of the school (smaller, Catholic, rich in basketball tradition, games at MSG, great conference recruiting ties to the area, etc).  Danny Hurley is cited as being especially supportive, and comes off as being one who views the St. John's job in a favorable manner.   Now we know that Hurley Sr. isn't taking the job, but based on the book, I do think the Hurley family in general, and Danny/Bobby, view the situation as an attractive one.

This was before Harrington expelled his former McDonald's AA point guard. If I remember correctly, he was pretty angry with St.John's for doing that. This is yet another reason why the new president is so important to the program,

TONYD3

« Reply #127 on: March 23, 2015, 10:15:02 PM »
I read the book also. I really enjoyed it. The father is a great HS coach. The older brother was a great PG at DUKE. The younger brother was an ok player at seton hall, a very good prep school coach, and has improved Rhode Island. None of the 3 are slam dunk big east coaches. As much I liked the book. Stories don't win games in the big east.

« Reply #128 on: March 24, 2015, 12:28:43 AM »
What was the name of the book?

Johnny23

« Reply #129 on: March 24, 2015, 07:38:54 AM »
It's called The Miracle of St. Anthony. It's been out for a long time now. I got it for my Dad about 6-7 years ago. Great read.

Hurley Sr. will never send another St. Ant's player here after Roshown McLeod and Ingram. Talk about burning a bridge. The most famous HS hoops coach in America and the Johnnies are on his shit list when it comes to recruiting his players. Never gonna change. The Johnnies sure could've used a Markus McDuffie in this recruiting cycle. Because they surely don't have enough 6'4 guards and wings. Sad.

« Reply #130 on: March 24, 2015, 09:27:44 AM »
back to Lavin.  this from Albano:

Sammy Albano @SammyAlbano
So I understand its out w/ the old & in w/ the new!

« Reply #131 on: March 24, 2015, 09:28:20 AM »
and from JayOn_1

S.Dot @JayOn_1
@dR3ws3r yes I think there will be a change from what I see and hear on campus but I do know that the ppl in charge are split on it

« Reply #132 on: March 24, 2015, 09:30:44 AM »
I don't know anything about bobby's coaching.  I saw two URI games -- don't want danny. Would bobby be a big time recruiter?

« Reply #133 on: March 24, 2015, 09:31:14 AM »
Matthew Steinbrink @MattSteinbrink
Another seat on the coaching carousel should open tomorrow. (Today)

Matthew Steinbrink
@MattSteinbrink
 @jmattera83 Lavin is out. We will see.

Poison

« Reply #134 on: March 24, 2015, 09:46:32 AM »
Take it all in with the biggest grain of salt you can find.

Johnny23

« Reply #135 on: March 24, 2015, 10:00:35 AM »
I don't know anything about bobby's coaching.  I saw two URI games -- don't want danny. Would bobby be a big time recruiter?

Big East. His backyard. Legendary college pg. You better believe that all these local kids will at least take a look at the Johnnies when they weren't previously. The Hurley name carries a ton of clout, especially in these parts. I'm sure Bobby can even get his Dad turned around on SJU lol.

The only unknown is his actual coaching but from what he's done in a short time at Buffalo, I'd say he's already better than Lavin in that dept. I think Bobby would be a vast improvement over Lav.

Poison

« Reply #136 on: March 24, 2015, 10:07:15 AM »

Big East. His backyard. Legendary college pg. You better believe that all these local kids will at least take a look at the Johnnies when they weren't previously. The Hurley name carries a ton of clout, especially in these parts. I'm sure Bobby can even get his Dad turned around on SJU lol.

The only unknown is his actual coaching but from what he's done in a short time at Buffalo, I'd say he's already better than Lavin in that dept. I think Bobby would be a vast improvement over Lav.

Hurley would be a risk, but one that I think St.John's should take. He's done more than just get Buffalo to the tourney for the first time. He's got that program set for the future. Lots of coaches have only been able to put one run together on a lucky recruiting situation or two. Like Pecora, for example, but Buffalo is a player now. He's brought kids. Really good ones, and if he stays, they are set for the future.

« Reply #137 on: March 24, 2015, 10:29:09 AM »
Sooo this really could happen?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

sju89tr

« Reply #138 on: March 24, 2015, 10:47:34 AM »
The cupboard is basically clean at this point, if you get trid of Lavin you also most likely lose Sampson and any chance of Diallo. i don't care if they fire him but they better have a good idea of who they can hire to at least get this program back on it's feet in 3 years.       

Foad

« Reply #139 on: March 24, 2015, 10:50:22 AM »
Sooo this really could happen?

Imagine. Norm inherits a team that won six games and leaves one that goes to the tournament. Lavin inherits a team that goes to the tournament and leaves one that wins six games.