Lavin

• 705 replies

desco80

Re: Lavin
« Reply #180 on: March 24, 2015, 12:30:36 PM »
This calls for a liquid lunch

« Reply #181 on: March 24, 2015, 12:34:29 PM »
This whole thing is a mess. Typical St. John's.

St. John's should just give Lavin a 2 year extension which would put him on the books for 3 seasons. Stress to Lavin he needs to show X results over next season on court + recruiting otherwise he'd be bought out.

This would put the team in better position for next coach or Lavin could have things rolling.

If you fire Lavin now, you bring in any coach it will take 2 seasons to reshape the team and by year 3 or 4 people may be calling for his head too.

If you let Lavin just play out his contract he's a lame duck and won't be able to recruit and you're just shooting yourself in the foot.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #182 on: March 24, 2015, 12:34:39 PM »
Question

Would Mark Jackson be interested?
Would he be able to coach in college with his personality and the time on the road recruiting?

Good question.  I think some of the circumstances with the NBA job and heirarchy that seemed to bring out major paranoia and inconsistent actions/behavior by Mark at Golden State would not be applicable at all at St. John's where he is a living legend.  So I think it could work, if he gets experienced assistants and is ready to roll up his sleeves.

He wouldnt be my first choice but I do think he COULD work out extremely well...just a risk.

his name would carry us for maybe 1 or 2 years, but that would quickly wear out.  i honestly don't think he's that great of a coach. he got very lucky by going to GS and having Curry there. 

we need a coach.  plain and simple.  a guy that has the pedigree, fire, and who's only ambition is to be the very best coach.  "celebrity" coaches ala Lavin, Jackson, are flashes of false hope.   

« Reply #183 on: March 24, 2015, 12:36:45 PM »
Question

Would he be able to coach in college with his personality and the time on the road recruiting?

Very risky.  I feel like if he comes here it will be like an Eddie Jordan situation. Great nba success but doesn't mean college success.

sju89tr

« Reply #184 on: March 24, 2015, 12:37:14 PM »
Question

Good question.  I think some of the circumstances with the NBA job and heirarchy that seemed to bring out major paranoia and inconsistent actions/behavior by Mark at Golden State would not be applicable at all at St. John's where he is a living legend.  So I think it could work, if he gets experienced assistants and is ready to roll up his sleeves.

He wouldnt be my first choice but I do think he COULD work out extremely well...just a risk.

I don't really believe in the legend returning to coach his alma mater thing but the Zags article brought this to mind. I don't think Mullin does it so they must mean Mark Jackson. Mullin is living again in Bay area and seems more like an AD type than a coach to me.

« Reply #185 on: March 24, 2015, 12:40:47 PM »
Chris Mullin has been on the tongue of administration since early last year. I believe there is some mutual interest.

Jackson has been brought up but I don't think too highly of him after talking to a few of his former players.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

sju89tr

« Reply #186 on: March 24, 2015, 12:43:52 PM »
Chris Mullin has been on the tongue of administration since early last year. I believe there is some mutual interest.

Jackson has been brought up but I don't think too highly of him after talking to a few of his former players.

I don;t think anyone knows the game of basketball like Mullin. If he could recruit he would be an excellent choice.

desco80

« Reply #187 on: March 24, 2015, 12:49:46 PM »
Going to end up being Mas and Hurley v. Mullin

sju89tr

« Reply #188 on: March 24, 2015, 12:56:22 PM »

As I said in the Jackson post, I am really skeptical on the legend returning to coach but in Mullin's case he doesn't have any baggage and LOVES the school. It may work but can he handle the workload of recruiting and what would his staff look like.   

desco80

« Reply #189 on: March 24, 2015, 12:58:48 PM »

As I said in the Jackson post, I am really skeptical on the legend returning to coach but in Mullin's case he doesn't have any baggage and LOVES the school. It may work but can he handle the workload of recruiting and what would his staff look like.

I agree with your concerns ted.  I'd be very hesitant to hire any legend without recruiting experience. 
But it does appear that the powers that be are split amongst potential candidates.  And those seem to be the two camps.

desco80

« Reply #190 on: March 24, 2015, 01:00:08 PM »
Also fwiw, you need a public story to get the ball rolling.
Now people's phones will start lighting up and things will start moving.  Hopefully the post or dn have a follow up story about Lavin on his way out.

Poison

« Reply #191 on: March 24, 2015, 01:05:22 PM »
Hope?  CO and RJ stay.  Diallo comes.   We have a good team next year.  Now that's a hope.  And it's still possible.

Actually, that's not even an NIT team.

Rysheed, Sampson, Obekpa and Diallo is not even an NIT team.  What world are you on Poison?  That's a bubble team minimum, even with Lavin coaching.

And who else?

Just those 4, because we killed this year with 6.

pmg911

« Reply #192 on: March 24, 2015, 01:09:35 PM »

Repole is also huge fan of Richard Pitino

desco80

« Reply #193 on: March 24, 2015, 01:15:48 PM »

Repole is also huge fan of Richard Pitino

Didn't know that, thank you.

Add him to the list then, which isn't a bad thing in my opinion.

Tha Kid

« Reply #194 on: March 24, 2015, 01:16:01 PM »
Normally I'd be hesitant about a candidate who has no prior head coaching experience, but Sacaramento was so impressed with Mullin they wanted him to coach BEFORE they went out and got George Karl.  Mullin would be the exception.  I assume Terrence would be an assistant?
"I drink and I know things"

boo3

« Reply #195 on: March 24, 2015, 01:17:00 PM »
So he's taking the USC job?  Wow.  :)

Arizona st

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 53s54 seconds ago

Arizona State has fired head coach Herb Sendek, source told @CBSSports.

« Reply #196 on: March 24, 2015, 01:18:19 PM »
So he's taking the USC job?  Wow.  :)

Arizona st

ok....

Evan Daniels @EvanDaniels
Scout Source: Arizona State contacts, targets Duke assistant Jeff Capel | Story: foxs.pt/1CmDKo1 pic.twitter.com/TptKGXO5Ye

SunDevilSource.com @SunDevilSource
We have confirmed reporting by @EvanDaniels and @scoutrecruiting that Duke assistant Jeff Capel is ASU’s top target via a program source.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 01:30:23 PM by redmen4life »

boo3

« Reply #197 on: March 24, 2015, 01:18:26 PM »
This whole thing is a mess. Typical St. John's.

St. John's should just give Lavin a 2 year extension which would put him on the books for 3 seasons. Stress to Lavin he needs to show X results over next season on court + recruiting otherwise he'd be bought out.

This would put the team in better position for next coach or Lavin could have things rolling.

If you fire Lavin now, you bring in any coach it will take 2 seasons to reshape the team and by year 3 or 4 people may be calling for his head too.

If you let Lavin just play out his contract he's a lame duck and won't be able to recruit and you're just shooting yourself in the foot.

^^^ This...   This whole board will be crying in 3 years when we aren't in the Sweet 16 with the new coach.

sju89tr

« Reply #198 on: March 24, 2015, 01:19:22 PM »
Normally I'd be hesitant about a candidate who has no prior head coaching experience, but Sacaramento was so impressed with Mullin they wanted him to coach BEFORE they went out and got George Karl.  Mullin would be the exception.  I assume Terrence would be an assistant?

I kind of hope it's not a SJU only staff

He would need an X/O guy
He would need a recruiter like Chiles, Kimani Young, Slice, or Rasheen Davis
Third assistant would be OK to go to a Terrance Mullin or Steve Shurina type

DOBO I would want a local SJU guy like Hamilton or Ty Grant   

« Reply #199 on: March 24, 2015, 01:20:54 PM »

I kind of hope it's not a SJU only staff

He would need an X/O guy
He would need a recruiter like Chiles, Kimani Young, Slice, or Rasheen Davis
Third assistant would be OK to go to a Terrance Mullin or Steve Shurina type

DOBO I would want a local SJU guy like Hamilton or Ty Grant   

i would say Zendon takes a greater role...