Lavin

• 705 replies

Tha Kid

Re: Lavin
« Reply #200 on: March 24, 2015, 01:22:05 PM »
Normally I'd be hesitant about a candidate who has no prior head coaching experience, but Sacaramento was so impressed with Mullin they wanted him to coach BEFORE they went out and got George Karl.  Mullin would be the exception.  I assume Terrence would be an assistant?

I kind of hope it's not a SJU only staff

He would need an X/O guy
He would need a recruiter like Chiles, Kimani Young, Slice, or Rasheen Davis
Third assistant would be OK to go to a Terrance Mullin or Steve Shurina type

DOBO I would want a local SJU guy like Hamilton or Ty Grant   

Agree with you. Terrance can fill one spot but other 2 should be known recruiting and X/O commodities, respectively.    And I think those are great choices for DOBO - what about Felipe as well, he's involved locally in the Bronx isn't he?  But something like that would be great.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #201 on: March 24, 2015, 01:27:25 PM »
Normally I'd be hesitant about a candidate who has no prior head coaching experience, but Sacaramento was so impressed with Mullin they wanted him to coach BEFORE they went out and got George Karl.  Mullin would be the exception.  I assume Terrence would be an assistant?

He would need an X/O guy

Would you like to tell him where to have lunch?

sju89tr

« Reply #202 on: March 24, 2015, 01:27:48 PM »

He would need an X/O guy

Agree with you. Terrance can fill one spot but other 2 should be known recruiting and X/O commodities, respectively.    And I think those are great choices for DOBO - what about Felipe as well, he's involved locally in the Bronx isn't he?  But something like that would be great.

Felipe would be fine LOL I just forgot to list him. I am kind of getting excited if Mullin is a possibility. At leastr we know he wouldn't take the job for granted, 

Also wouldn't be shocked if Marcus Hatten's name came up as a staff member . He said within the last year that he would like to coach at St Johns 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 01:29:37 PM by sju89tr »

« Reply #203 on: March 24, 2015, 01:29:48 PM »
How dare Lavin gets cancer and puts us in such a position.

QuanMan

« Reply #204 on: March 24, 2015, 01:32:54 PM »
Sergio Rodriguez ‏@SRod021  32m32 minutes ago
I love how all these local media guys have the Lavin haters thinking Steve is on his way out.  Only discussion is 5 year or 3 year extension

D. ‏@_redmen  26m26 minutes ago
@SRod021 My guess is the same. Zagaorias source sounds like it's the disgruntled brown noser, Sam Albano.

Sergio Rodriguez ‏@SRod021  16m16 minutes ago
@_redmen That Albano clown had a run-in with Lavin where he was told to go scratch his ass so now he has become a pain in the ass
Section 3
Section 116

goredmen

« Reply #205 on: March 24, 2015, 01:34:10 PM »
This whole thing is a mess. Typical St. John's.

St. John's should just give Lavin a 2 year extension which would put him on the books for 3 seasons. Stress to Lavin he needs to show X results over next season on court + recruiting otherwise he'd be bought out.

This would put the team in better position for next coach or Lavin could have things rolling.

If you fire Lavin now, you bring in any coach it will take 2 seasons to reshape the team and by year 3 or 4 people may be calling for his head too.

If you let Lavin just play out his contract he's a lame duck and won't be able to recruit and you're just shooting yourself in the foot.

So essentially Lavin benefits from taking the recruiting year off. Giving him an extension just because a new coach probably won't succeed in year 1 or 2 (because of Lavin's lack of recruiting) is nothing more than rewarding Lavin for his incompetence

sju89tr

« Reply #206 on: March 24, 2015, 01:35:39 PM »
I love how all these local media guys have the Lavin haters thinking Steve is on his way out.  Only discussion is 5 year or 3 year extension

@SRod021 My guess is the same. Zagaorias source sounds like it's the disgruntled brown noser, Sam Albano.

@_redmen That Albano clown had a run-in with Lavin where he was told to go scratch his ass so now he has become a pain in the ass

If that were the case then SJU would leak (to Roger) that they are working on an extension. I am certain that an extension may still be in the cards but I would think that it is doubtful at this point   

goredmen

« Reply #207 on: March 24, 2015, 01:37:10 PM »

Sergio was the guy that said the Greek kid was going to commit in a couple days a few months ago

boo3

« Reply #208 on: March 24, 2015, 01:40:59 PM »

Sergio was the guy that said the Greek kid was going to commit in a couple days a few months ago

and Jay_On1 said that Briscoe was coming.....  Everyone is full of shit until their not.

« Reply #209 on: March 24, 2015, 01:41:59 PM »

If that were the case then SJU would leak (to Roger) that they are working on an extension. I am certain that an extension may still be in the cards but I would think that it is doubtful at this point   

albano, baldi, and Jay also said Lavin to ASU....

given the misinformation spewed about more player suspension after obekpa, i wouldn't doubt someone at sju is passing on false guidance.

Poison

« Reply #210 on: March 24, 2015, 01:42:10 PM »

He would need an X/O guy

Felipe would be fine LOL I just forgot to list him. I am kind of getting excited if Mullin is a possibility. At leastr we know he wouldn't take the job for granted, 

Also wouldn't be shocked if Marcus Hatten's name came up as a staff member . He said within the last year that he would like to coach at St Johns 

Hatten as a coach?

Okay Felix, here's what you do: Split the double team in the half court set, then throw it down, but make sure you wait until you get fouled first, because you don't want to waste a chance at a 3 point play. After that, steal the ball in the in-bounds play, and dunk it again. After that the other team will call a TO. When play resumes, hit a few three pointers, block some shots, and throw some alley-oops. Then go get some water.

Poison

« Reply #211 on: March 24, 2015, 01:43:09 PM »
How dare Lavin gets cancer and puts us in such a position.

His year off is understood by everyone I know. But why did he not recruit last year?

sju89tr

« Reply #212 on: March 24, 2015, 01:46:01 PM »

He would need an X/O guy

Hatten as a coach?

Okay Felix, here's what you do: Split the double team in the half court set, then throw it down, but make sure you wait until you get fouled first, because you don't want to waste a chance at a 3 point play. After that, steal the ball in the in-bounds play, and dunk it again. After that the other team will call a TO. When play resumes, hit a few three pointers, block some shots, and throw some alley-oops. Then go get some water.

The DOBO spot should reward a player from the program,

« Reply #213 on: March 24, 2015, 01:48:10 PM »
Whole staff needs replacing

boo3

« Reply #214 on: March 24, 2015, 01:48:24 PM »
 Isn't the idea to move the program forward and ahead?   Bringing in 5 players from over the last 20 years, where we absolutely sucked, seems to be counterproductive.

« Reply #215 on: March 24, 2015, 01:49:46 PM »
It's called The Miracle of St. Anthony. It's been out for a long time now. I got it for my Dad about 6-7 years ago. Great read.

Hurley Sr. will never send another St. Ant's player here after Roshown McLeod and Ingram. Talk about burning a bridge. The most famous HS hoops coach in America and the Johnnies are on his shit list when it comes to recruiting his players. Never gonna change. The Johnnies sure could've used a Markus McDuffie in this recruiting cycle. Because they surely don't have enough 6'4 guards and wings. Sad.

But we shouldn't feel bad. Hurley Sr. has yet to send a player to his own son Danny.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #216 on: March 24, 2015, 01:50:14 PM »
It's a perfect "red storm" of issues. Besides we go after SJU leadership keep in mind that this is the 3rd President in 3 years...The first one "retired" after all the scandal broke, the second one was here to keep the boat afloat, and the 3rd one was brought here to fix all the issues left by the first one, and he's hasn't been here a full year left.

SJU will have to be remade from top to bottom (even bring back SJU). This is Gempenshaw first really huge decision and it's also a HUGE finicial one. Let's see what happens first before we say typical SJU, because this is a new administration for the first time in a quarter of a century and there is a reason they pick an academic over just naming a Priest for tradition sake.

Lavin put himself into this positions by his own up and down tenure. If this team was properly stacked this year the tournament and season migh have been different. If the next season we were reloading with 4 and 5 star recruits The decision would probably an easy one in favor of Lavin.

After five years there is still a lot if think and hopes that this team is on the right track...Somebody please tell me what Lavin's plans is for this recruiting class and next year?

Not saying he should be Fire, I'm just saying he made the choice a difficult one by his actions against a new President who didn't pick him. I just want what's beat for SJU with or without Lavin.
Cougar O' Malley

goredmen

« Reply #217 on: March 24, 2015, 01:52:01 PM »

and Jay_On1 said that Briscoe was coming.....  Everyone is full of shit until their not.

I do not take anything Jay says as gospel either

« Reply #218 on: March 24, 2015, 01:52:18 PM »
This needs to happen asap. So many openings, trickle down might hurt the situation

Tha Kid

« Reply #219 on: March 24, 2015, 01:54:41 PM »
This needs to happen asap. So many openings, trickle down might hurt the situation

Early bird gets the worm. 
"I drink and I know things"