Lavin

• 705 replies
Re: Lavin
« Reply #220 on: March 24, 2015, 01:56:30 PM »
This needs to happen asap. So many openings, trickle down might hurt the situation

Early bird gets the worm. 

Ben Howland proved himself too desperate

QuanMan

« Reply #221 on: March 24, 2015, 01:57:44 PM »
Lavin's going to be coaching in Queens through his 60's.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #222 on: March 24, 2015, 02:09:37 PM »
It's called The Miracle of St. Anthony. It's been out for a long time now. I got it for my Dad about 6-7 years ago. Great read.

Hurley Sr. will never send another St. Ant's player here after Roshown McLeod and Ingram. Talk about burning a bridge. The most famous HS hoops coach in America and the Johnnies are on his shit list when it comes to recruiting his players. Never gonna change. The Johnnies sure could've used a Markus McDuffie in this recruiting cycle. Because they surely don't have enough 6'4 guards and wings. Sad.

But we shouldn't feel bad. Hurley Sr. has yet to send a player to his own son Danny.

Who would he have sent?

He tried to push Tarin Smith to URI but Danny didn't think he was better than the guards he had or could get. Both are going to do what's best for player + team.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #223 on: March 24, 2015, 02:10:52 PM »
Sergio Rodriguez ‏@SRod021  32m32 minutes ago
I love how all these local media guys have the Lavin haters thinking Steve is on his way out.  Only discussion is 5 year or 3 year extension

D. ‏@_redmen  26m26 minutes ago
@SRod021 My guess is the same. Zagaorias source sounds like it's the disgruntled brown noser, Sam Albano.

Sergio Rodriguez ‏@SRod021  16m16 minutes ago
@_redmen That Albano clown had a run-in with Lavin where he was told to go scratch his ass so now he has become a pain in the ass

Sergio was the guy that said the Greek kid was going to commit in a couple days a few months ago

and Jay_On1 said that Briscoe was coming.....  Everyone is full of shit until their not.

At the time he was. He pulled a complete 180 last second.

« Reply #224 on: March 24, 2015, 02:11:32 PM »
Going to end up being Mas and Hurley v. Mullin

Repole is also huge fan of Richard Pitino

That is who I was told last week is #1 target

« Reply #225 on: March 24, 2015, 02:11:57 PM »
Normally I'd be hesitant about a candidate who has no prior head coaching experience, but Sacaramento was so impressed with Mullin they wanted him to coach BEFORE they went out and got George Karl.  Mullin would be the exception.  I assume Terrence would be an assistant?

I kind of hope it's not a SJU only staff

He would need an X/O guy
He would need a recruiter like Chiles, Kimani Young, Slice, or Rasheen Davis
Third assistant would be OK to go to a Terrance Mullin or Steve Shurina type

DOBO I would want a local SJU guy like Hamilton or Ty Grant   

Good names and agree an all SJU staff would not be good dynamic.

sju89tr

« Reply #226 on: March 24, 2015, 02:12:45 PM »

His name has been out there, it would be very risky IMHO

That is who I was told last week is #1 target

« Reply #227 on: March 24, 2015, 02:12:55 PM »
I love how all these local media guys have the Lavin haters thinking Steve is on his way out.  Only discussion is 5 year or 3 year extension

@SRod021 My guess is the same. Zagaorias source sounds like it's the disgruntled brown noser, Sam Albano.

@_redmen That Albano clown had a run-in with Lavin where he was told to go scratch his ass so now he has become a pain in the ass

Sergio was the guy that said the Greek kid was going to commit in a couple days a few months ago

and Jay_On1 said that Briscoe was coming.....  Everyone is full of shit until their not.

At the time he was. He pulled a complete 180 last second.

Same time Briscoe did.

« Reply #228 on: March 24, 2015, 02:17:01 PM »

I think Richard is a better coach than people realize. I trust his ability to recruit too. I wouldn't be mad at it but not sold he can do better than Lavin.

sju89tr

« Reply #229 on: March 24, 2015, 02:18:09 PM »

I think Richard is a better coach than people realize. I trust his ability to recruit too. I wouldn't be mad at it but not sold he can do better than Lavin.

That's what I think too

« Reply #230 on: March 24, 2015, 02:19:24 PM »
So you guys are fine with once a 4 year Ncaa appearance?

« Reply #231 on: March 24, 2015, 02:22:46 PM »

You're going to need a bigger hook with all the bait you've been putting out lately.

What if St. John's made tournament last year? If they made 3 in 5 would we even be talking about this at all?

« Reply #232 on: March 24, 2015, 02:23:15 PM »
IF Lavin goes.......I would be surprised to see us hire Masiello.  Image is still tarnished from last year.  There needs to be more distance.  Bobby Hurley (should be easy to get), Archie Miller (tough get but great choice), Mark Jackson (unlikely due to estranged relationship w sju).  Do NOT want Richard Pittino.

Crazy long shot - Is Billy Donovan ready to come home after tough year = highly unlikely.

Just some thoughts.

« Reply #233 on: March 24, 2015, 02:25:41 PM »

You're going to need a bigger hook with all the bait you've been putting out lately.

What if St. John's made tournament last year? If they made 3 in 5 would we even be talking about this at all?

you think he's done Dave?

goredmen

« Reply #234 on: March 24, 2015, 02:26:09 PM »

What? What if we won the national championship the last four years? What if we went 40-0 in every season Lavin has been here? If all that happened we wouldn't be talking about this

Sure, if we made the tournament last year we probably wouldn't be talking about this. But we didn't and that's a huge part of the problem

sju89tr

« Reply #235 on: March 24, 2015, 02:26:35 PM »
IF Lavin goes.......I would be surprised to see us hire Masiello.  Image is still tarnished from last year.  There needs to be more distance.  Bobby Hurley (should be easy to get), Archie Miller (tough get but great choice), Mark Jackson (unlikely due to estranged relationship w sju).  Do NOT want Richard Pittino.

Crazy long shot - Is Billy Donovan ready to come home after tough year = highly unlikely.

Just some thoughts.

We threw the kitchen sink at Donovan in 2010 and he didn't consider us. His parents have moved to Florida. Although he would be my #1  choice it just aint happening

goredmen

« Reply #236 on: March 24, 2015, 02:27:42 PM »

Just some thoughts.

Add Bob Mckillop to the list. What he did at Davidson this year was almost miraculous. He's a really really good coach and would not turn us down. Not saying he's my first choice or even top 3, but I'd take him over Lavin or Pitino in a heartbeat

« Reply #237 on: March 24, 2015, 02:29:57 PM »

you think he's done Dave?

Don't know. As I've said previously if it were my choice I'd bring him back without question. Starting fresh would be major set back.

« Reply #238 on: March 24, 2015, 02:30:02 PM »

Just some thoughts.

Add Bob Mckillop to the list. What he did at Davidson this year was almost miraculous. He's a really really good coach and would not turn us down. Not saying he's my first choice or even top 3, but I'd take him over Lavin or Pitino in a heartbeat

Based on what do you say McKillop wouldn't turn us down?

Pete88

« Reply #239 on: March 24, 2015, 02:30:11 PM »

We should know that better than anyone, we have Baldi and his predictions to prove that!!!