Lavin

• 705 replies

goredmen

Re: Lavin
« Reply #240 on: March 24, 2015, 02:32:59 PM »
IF Lavin goes.......I would be surprised to see us hire Masiello.  Image is still tarnished from last year.  There needs to be more distance.  Bobby Hurley (should be easy to get), Archie Miller (tough get but great choice), Mark Jackson (unlikely due to estranged relationship w sju).  Do NOT want Richard Pittino.

Crazy long shot - Is Billy Donovan ready to come home after tough year = highly unlikely.

Just some thoughts.

Add Bob Mckillop to the list. What he did at Davidson this year was almost miraculous. He's a really really good coach and would not turn us down. Not saying he's my first choice or even top 3, but I'd take him over Lavin or Pitino in a heartbeat

Based on what do you say McKillop wouldn't turn us down?

McKillop is from and loves NY and still lives on Long Island in the offseason. He wouldn't turn down the only NY school thats an upgrade over his current school for one run at it before he retires

« Reply #241 on: March 24, 2015, 02:35:36 PM »
LOL  Boo is making me laugh on this thread. 

Seriously, the "powers that be" better have their ducks in a row, if they're gonna move on from Lavin. 

IMO, No Mas, Amaker, or (Mark) Jackson!  I'm not particularly sold on or sure about the Hurleys, Pitino, Jr., or Mullin. 

Give me the Marshall's, Miller's, Smart's (doubt that seriously happen with Smart) and the likes.   

If we bring in the "right" person, per se', then I do feel Brandon Sampson and the other recruits would probably stay put.  You could also see Jordan and Obekpa return.

Some of you folks who would be happy just to see Lavin go better be careful what you wish for.  Hopefully, there is a sound plan in place, if Lavin is actually let go.

Poison

« Reply #242 on: March 24, 2015, 02:37:19 PM »
Normally I'd be hesitant about a candidate who has no prior head coaching experience, but Sacaramento was so impressed with Mullin they wanted him to coach BEFORE they went out and got George Karl.  Mullin would be the exception.  I assume Terrence would be an assistant?

I kind of hope it's not a SJU only staff

He would need an X/O guy
He would need a recruiter like Chiles, Kimani Young, Slice, or Rasheen Davis
Third assistant would be OK to go to a Terrance Mullin or Steve Shurina type

DOBO I would want a local SJU guy like Hamilton or Ty Grant   

Agree with you. Terrance can fill one spot but other 2 should be known recruiting and X/O commodities, respectively.    And I think those are great choices for DOBO - what about Felipe as well, he's involved locally in the Bronx isn't he?  But something like that would be great.

Felipe would be fine LOL I just forgot to list him. I am kind of getting excited if Mullin is a possibility. At leastr we know he wouldn't take the job for granted, 

Also wouldn't be shocked if Marcus Hatten's name came up as a staff member . He said within the last year that he would like to coach at St Johns 

Hatten as a coach?

Okay Felix, here's what you do: Split the double team in the half court set, then throw it down, but make sure you wait until you get fouled first, because you don't want to waste a chance at a 3 point play. After that, steal the ball in the in-bounds play, and dunk it again. After that the other team will call a TO. When play resumes, hit a few three pointers, block some shots, and throw some alley-oops. Then go get some water.

The DOBO spot should reward a player from the program,

The DOB should be Hatten. I was just making a joke, or trying to.

« Reply #243 on: March 24, 2015, 02:37:20 PM »
IF Lavin goes.......I would be surprised to see us hire Masiello.  Image is still tarnished from last year.  There needs to be more distance.  Bobby Hurley (should be easy to get), Archie Miller (tough get but great choice), Mark Jackson (unlikely due to estranged relationship w sju).  Do NOT want Richard Pittino.

Crazy long shot - Is Billy Donovan ready to come home after tough year = highly unlikely.

Just some thoughts.

Add Bob Mckillop to the list. What he did at Davidson this year was almost miraculous. He's a really really good coach and would not turn us down. Not saying he's my first choice or even top 3, but I'd take him over Lavin or Pitino in a heartbeat

Based on what do you say McKillop wouldn't turn us down?

McKillop is from and loves NY and still lives on Long Island in the offseason. He wouldn't turn down the only NY school thats an upgrade over his current school for one run at it before he retires

"No" to McKillop, as well.  IMO, he would've been good for us at one point, but not at this juncture.

sju89tr

« Reply #244 on: March 24, 2015, 02:37:42 PM »

Seriously, the "powers that be" better have their ducks in a row, if they're gonna move on from Lavin. 

IMO, No Mas, Amaker, or (Mark) Jackson!  I'm not particularly sold on or sure about the Hurleys, Pitino, Jr., or Mullin. 

Give me the Marshall's, Miller's, Smart's (doubt that seriously happen with Smart) and the likes.   

If we bring in the "right" person, per se', then I do feel Brandon Sampson and the other recruits would probably stay put.  You could also see Jordan and Obekpa return.

Some of you folks who would be happy just to see Lavin go better be careful what you wish for.  Hopefully, there is a sound plan in place, if Lavin is actually let go.

Great post

« Reply #245 on: March 24, 2015, 02:38:24 PM »
So you guys are fine with once a 4 year Ncaa appearance?

You're going to need a bigger hook with all the bait you've been putting out lately.

What if St. John's made tournament last year? If they made 3 in 5 would we even be talking about this at all?

you think he's done Dave?

Don't know. As I've said previously if it were my choice I'd bring him back without question. Starting fresh would be major set back.

yup.  complete alignment with you. 

desco80

« Reply #246 on: March 24, 2015, 02:39:56 PM »
Sergio Rodriguez ‏@SRod021  32m32 minutes ago
I love how all these local media guys have the Lavin haters thinking Steve is on his way out.  Only discussion is 5 year or 3 year extension

D. ‏@_redmen  26m26 minutes ago
@SRod021 My guess is the same. Zagaorias source sounds like it's the disgruntled brown noser, Sam Albano.

Sergio Rodriguez ‏@SRod021  16m16 minutes ago
@_redmen That Albano clown had a run-in with Lavin where he was told to go scratch his ass so now he has become a pain in the ass

Sergio was the guy that said the Greek kid was going to commit in a couple days a few months ago

and Jay_On1 said that Briscoe was coming.....  Everyone is full of shit until their not.

At the time he was. He pulled a complete 180 last second.

Same time Briscoe did.

Simplyred, dave is saying that when jay on tweeted it, Briscoe was coming here.  Then he pulled a 180

« Reply #247 on: March 24, 2015, 02:40:47 PM »

+1000

Once again, Dinkins showing that he is almost as smart as me.   ;)

« Reply #248 on: March 24, 2015, 02:42:56 PM »
I love how all these local media guys have the Lavin haters thinking Steve is on his way out.  Only discussion is 5 year or 3 year extension

@SRod021 My guess is the same. Zagaorias source sounds like it's the disgruntled brown noser, Sam Albano.

@_redmen That Albano clown had a run-in with Lavin where he was told to go scratch his ass so now he has become a pain in the ass

Sergio was the guy that said the Greek kid was going to commit in a couple days a few months ago

and Jay_On1 said that Briscoe was coming.....  Everyone is full of shit until their not.

Same time Briscoe did.

Simplyred, dave is saying that when jay on tweeted it, Briscoe was coming here.  Then he pulled a 180

I understand.  And my point was that Jay_on's 180 came at the last minute just like Briscoe's 180 (from SJU to Uk) came at the last minute.

« Reply #249 on: March 24, 2015, 02:45:24 PM »

You're going to need a bigger hook with all the bait you've been putting out lately.

What if St. John's made tournament last year? If they made 3 in 5 would we even be talking about this at all?

What? What if we won the national championship the last four years? What if we went 40-0 in every season Lavin has been here? If all that happened we wouldn't be talking about this

Sure, if we made the tournament last year we probably wouldn't be talking about this. But we didn't and that's a huge part of the problem

The difference is they were not that far from making the Tourney last year considering they were a no. 1 seed in the NIT.  A game here or a bounce here might have been the difference.  They lost to Nova last year on the road after giving up a banked 3 pointer by Ryan A late.  They then lost on a last second 3 to Creigton on the road to Dougie Mcbuckets.

At the end of course you are right they did not get it done.  But you can't compare potentially making it last year to winning a NC. That is an valid analogy.  They were close to making it last year, let's not act like they went 11-20 last year.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 02:47:05 PM by fordham96 »

desco80

« Reply #250 on: March 24, 2015, 02:45:32 PM »

Solid post dinkins.  It should be acknowledged that the next coach could perform below Lavin levels for a few years.

But the opposite side of the coin is that I think Lavin's next two seasons (if he's here) will be more like 2011 than his recent success. 

Pete88

« Reply #251 on: March 24, 2015, 02:46:53 PM »

+1000

Once again, Dinkins showing that he is almost as smart as me.   ;)

I think most educated SJU fans think along these lines.  It's the others that think change for the sake of change is always best.

desco80

« Reply #252 on: March 24, 2015, 02:46:55 PM »

Same time Briscoe did.

I understand.  And my point was that Jay_on's 180 came at the last minute just like Briscoe's 180 (from SJU to Uk) came at the last minute.

Oh absolutely.  I think Jayons reversal may have been after the fact even.

« Reply #253 on: March 24, 2015, 02:57:01 PM »
Going to end up being Mas and Hurley v. Mullin

Repole is also huge fan of Richard Pitino

I think Richard is a better coach than people realize. I trust his ability to recruit too. I wouldn't be mad at it but not sold he can do better than Lavin.

Lavin beat him this year and had a better record.
Gopher hole fans are up in arms over him. Can't keep fans happy no matter where you are.

« Reply #254 on: March 24, 2015, 03:00:27 PM »

But we didn't.

All this is, is what ifs

Pete88

« Reply #255 on: March 24, 2015, 03:06:05 PM »

But we didn't.

All this is, is what ifs

You like to speak in certainties... As if the new coach will certainly do better than Lavin!!!  Nice crystal ball

« Reply #256 on: March 24, 2015, 03:08:40 PM »

But we didn't.

All this is, is what ifs

You like to speak in certainties... As if the new coach will certainly do better than Lavin!!!  Nice crystal ball

You're doing the same in thinking a new coach couldn't do better

« Reply #257 on: March 24, 2015, 03:19:21 PM »

But we didn't.

All this is, is what ifs

It doesn't work that way guy.  The other is a known quantity.

« Reply #258 on: March 24, 2015, 03:24:35 PM »

But we didn't.

All this is, is what ifs

It doesn't work that way guy.  The other is a known quantity.

Quantity is better than quality?

boo3

« Reply #259 on: March 24, 2015, 03:28:34 PM »
 jeez