Lavin

• 705 replies
Re: Lavin
« Reply #260 on: March 24, 2015, 03:34:08 PM »

boo3

« Reply #261 on: March 24, 2015, 03:34:20 PM »
2 million to buy Lavin out according to Zach Braziller.  Lot of cake for cheapo STJ to pony-up for someone to leave.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 03:34:39 PM by boo3 »

jr49

« Reply #262 on: March 24, 2015, 03:36:16 PM »
So you guys are fine with once a 4 year Ncaa appearance?

You're going to need a bigger hook with all the bait you've been putting out lately.

What if St. John's made tournament last year? If they made 3 in 5 would we even be talking about this at all?

What? What if we won the national championship the last four years? What if we went 40-0 in every season Lavin has been here? If all that happened we wouldn't be talking about this

Sure, if we made the tournament last year we probably wouldn't be talking about this. But we didn't and that's a huge part of the problem

The difference is they were not that far from making the Tourney last year considering they were a no. 1 seed in the NIT.  A game here or a bounce here might have been the difference.  They lost to Nova last year on the road after giving up a banked 3 pointer by Ryan A late.  They then lost on a last second 3 to Creigton on the road to Dougie Mcbuckets.

At the end of course you are right they did not get it done.  But you can't compare potentially making it last year to winning a NC. That is an valid analogy.  They were close to making it last year, let's not act like they went 11-20 last year.
Had coach brought in guys who could play instead of wasting spots on Borgo and Hooper maybe good things happen last year and this year too. Can't do the math but guessing coach had about 40 open spots to bring in real players and he has brought in maybe 8 guys who can play. 

« Reply #263 on: March 24, 2015, 03:42:03 PM »
2 million to buy Lavin out according to Zach Braziller.  Lot of cake for cheapo STJ to pony-up for someone to leave.

The school has been paying a lot of employees to leave

« Reply #264 on: March 24, 2015, 03:43:46 PM »

The school has been paying a lot of employees to leave

True but most aren't being replaced or are being replaced at a much cheaper rate. Hope they don't do that with the coach of the basketball team.

« Reply #265 on: March 24, 2015, 03:45:46 PM »
Not if they then hire cheap replacement like they did with Norm. That is the type of coach I would expect BTW
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 03:57:05 PM by we are sju »

Tha Kid

« Reply #266 on: March 24, 2015, 03:49:08 PM »
Whatever happens this needs to be handled in an expedient manner.  Of course since St. John's is running this there will be smoke for weeks and then if there is fire at all this year, it will happen after all the best candidates are taken and all recruits are snatched up.  Unreal.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 03:49:37 PM by Tha Kid »
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #267 on: March 24, 2015, 03:56:35 PM »

You're going to need a bigger hook with all the bait you've been putting out lately.

What if St. John's made tournament last year? If they made 3 in 5 would we even be talking about this at all?

you think he's done Dave?

Don't know. As I've said previously if it were my choice I'd bring him back without question. Starting fresh would be major set back.

To be fair, I don't think this is all about on court performance.  A few key players last year all explored transferring out.  Fans have to repeatedly hear about academic ineligibles and suspensions on a yearly basis.

I'm not saying that it's all his fault.  But there's way too much drama around this program.

« Reply #268 on: March 24, 2015, 03:59:35 PM »
Wasn't there rumors of the staff and administration differing on Dominic Artis also?

And now our 2nd biggest target remaining for next year is a huge academic question mark (Lovett)...

It's just a #$%^ing circus  with this staff.

« Reply #269 on: March 24, 2015, 04:10:09 PM »

Don't know. As I've said previously if it were my choice I'd bring him back without question. Starting fresh would be major set back.

To be fair, I don't think this is all about on court performance.  A few key players last year all explored transferring out.  Fans have to repeatedly hear about academic ineligibles and suspensions on a yearly basis.

I'm not saying that it's all his fault.  But there's way too much drama around this program.

but at the same time, you can't ignore his off-courts success: graduating srs, 2 rookies of the year, nba players, etc.

not an easy decision by any stretch.

goredmen

« Reply #270 on: March 24, 2015, 04:18:29 PM »

but at the same time, you can't ignore his off-courts success: graduating srs, 2 rookies of the year, nba players, etc.

not an easy decision by any stretch.

How about his off court failures? The numerous ineligibles, Rysheed disappearing, Obekpa suspension.... I would say his off court 'success' are more than canceled out by these off court failures

Poison

« Reply #271 on: March 24, 2015, 04:23:13 PM »
There have been both successes on the court, and off the court issues. The thing is, the off the court issues happen every year, and throughout the year. The success has happened 2 out of 5 years. If you're happy with that, it's a shame.

TONYD3

« Reply #272 on: March 24, 2015, 04:36:11 PM »
Last year and this year were similar. I enjoyed both seasons. Was getting our ass kicked at mid night last Friday that awesome for some of you? I don't care who the coach is. I just want to enjoy a basketball season. Getting a new coach that takes 3 years just to get where we have been these last 5 years doesn't make any sense to me.

« Reply #273 on: March 24, 2015, 04:36:27 PM »
So it would cost more to buy him out of his last year on his contract than he would be payed to fulfill it? Doesn't sound right. Maybe the 2 mill was earlier on in the contract.

boo3

« Reply #274 on: March 24, 2015, 04:44:33 PM »
 Now he says that number is wrong..  either I misinterpreted an earlier tweet or he had bad info earlier and corrected.   regardless... my bad

goredmen

« Reply #275 on: March 24, 2015, 07:49:24 PM »
Last year and this year were similar. I enjoyed both seasons. Was getting our ass kicked at mid night last Friday that awesome for some of you? I don't care who the coach is. I just want to enjoy a basketball season. Getting a new coach that takes 3 years just to get where we have been these last 5 years doesn't make any sense to me.

It's a major stretch to say that Lavin will pull the recruiting rabbit out of his to make this team competitive these next two years. If we don't land Diallo we have virtually no chance at an NCAA tourney this year or next

« Reply #276 on: March 24, 2015, 08:27:26 PM »

It's a major stretch to say that Lavin will pull the recruiting rabbit out of his to make this team competitive these next two years. If we don't land Diallo we have virtually no chance at an NCAA tourney this year or next

Say if he lands all of the other targets outside of Diallo?  I never knew simply landing Diallo was imperative to going to the NCAA tournament next year or in 2017. 

Again, I'm not taking up for Lavin, but some of these posts doesn't particularly make sense.  Like someone stated (I believe it was boo), I wish the administration decide what they're going to do very shortly.  Preferably, within another week.

« Reply #277 on: March 24, 2015, 08:45:43 PM »
So it would cost more to buy him out of his last year on his contract than he would be payed to fulfill it? Doesn't sound right. Maybe the 2 mill was earlier on in the contract.
Doesn't sound right. Isn't his salary 1.6 Mil next season?

I'm betting the buyout is 1 MIL or less, or we had buffoons writing the contracts.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 08:46:23 PM by bball purist »

goredmen

« Reply #278 on: March 24, 2015, 09:08:35 PM »

Say if he lands all of the other targets outside of Diallo?  I never knew simply landing Diallo was imperative to going to the NCAA tournament next year or in 2017. 

Again, I'm not taking up for Lavin, but some of these posts doesn't particularly make sense.  Like someone stated (I believe it was boo), I wish the administration decide what they're going to do very shortly.  Preferably, within another week.

If he lands all targets but Diallo we still dont make the tournament the next two years. People overestimate how good freshmen and sophomores are in college basketball. Unless the player is a top 10-15 recruit he will be nothing more than a role player his freshman season and will be between role player and go to guy in his sophomore season. In years 2 and 3 of the Lavin era we weren't very good because all the players were freshmen and sophomores despite them being 4 and 5 star recruits. I do not fault Lavin for that at all because I realize how hard it is for freshmen to come in and be very good college players right away.

Unless you are the Kentuckys and Dukes of the world you can't build a program by reloading with top freshmen every year. Please provide me with a realistic SJU roster that doesn't include Diallo that is going to make the tournament within the next 2 years

« Reply #279 on: March 24, 2015, 09:18:16 PM »

If he lands all targets but Diallo we still dont make the tournament the next two years. People overestimate how good freshmen and sophomores are in college basketball. Unless the player is a top 10-15 recruit he will be nothing more than a role player his freshman season and will be between role player and go to guy in his sophomore season. In years 2 and 3 of the Lavin era we weren't very good because all the players were freshmen and sophomores despite them being 4 and 5 star recruits. I do not fault Lavin for that at all because I realize how hard it is for freshmen to come in and be very good college players right away.

Unless you are the Kentuckys and Dukes of the world you can't build a program by reloading with top freshmen every year. Please provide me with a realistic SJU roster that doesn't include Diallo that is going to make the tournament within the next 2 years

I'm not overestimating anything.  Obviously, you're overestimating freshmen by saying, if he doesn't land Diallo, then he emphatically stating he won't make the tournament for two years.  I've seen top 10-15 talent who still needs seasoning.  Do I have to name some of those past player's for you? 

Okay....  You want a roster that could be NCAA tournament-worthy without Diallo....  Here 'ya go:

Obekpa
Jordan
Sampson
Papagiannis
Mussini
LoVett
ADR
Ali
Benji Bell (JUCO from NW Florida)
Jalen Jackson (same school as Bell)
Doughty
Barnes Thompkins