Lavin

• 705 replies
Re: Lavin
« Reply #540 on: March 27, 2015, 03:20:43 PM »
Good luck coach.

As for SJU, hopefully on to bigger and better....

« Reply #541 on: March 27, 2015, 03:21:34 PM »
 ‏@AdamZagoria 4m4 minutes ago New York, USA

Other names I've heard at St. John's besides Chris Mullin and Danny Hurley: Richard Pitino, Tim Cluess, Steve Masiello.

Cluess and Masiello would be mistakes.

goredmen

« Reply #542 on: March 27, 2015, 03:22:24 PM »
So they lowballed Lavin, was that because of Lavin or how they intend to run the program moving forward?

My guess, and it's just a guess, is that the administration was fine with keeping him at a lower salary or just letting him walk if he declined the pay cut. He declined and they decided to move on. They didn't like him enough to meet his demands or dislike him enough to fire him or not offer him some sort of extension

Does that make sense though?  Either you feel he's the right person for the job or he's not, regardless of what your paying him.   The expectations for the program should be the same. 

Does St. John's ever do anything that makes sense? That's why I think that scenario is possible. It's also possible that they had no intention of keeping him, didnt want to exactly "fire" him, and lowballed him because they knew he would reject it and leave

« Reply #543 on: March 27, 2015, 03:23:16 PM »
So they lowballed Lavin, was that because of Lavin or how they intend to run the program moving forward?

My guess, and it's just a guess, is that the administration was fine with keeping him at a lower salary or just letting him walk if he declined the pay cut. He declined and they decided to move on. They didn't like him enough to meet his demands or dislike him enough to fire him or not offer him some sort of extension

Does that make sense though?  Either you feel he's the right person for the job or he's not, regardless of what your paying him.   The expectations for the program should be the same. 

Does St. John's ever do anything that makes sense? That's why I think that scenario is possible. It's also possible that they had no intention of keeping him, didnt want to exactly "fire" him, and lowballed him because they knew he would reject it and leave

Yup. And he threw a fit

« Reply #544 on: March 27, 2015, 03:23:41 PM »

Exactly.

If you don’t feel he is the long term solution at SJU then just agree to move on.

This idea of saying “Well he did a pretty good job so let’s bring him back at a lower cost and if he says no tell him sorry got to make a change” is nonsense.

You either believe he is the answer or not.

goredmen

« Reply #545 on: March 27, 2015, 03:23:59 PM »

Other names I've heard at St. John's besides Chris Mullin and Danny Hurley: Richard Pitino, Tim Cluess, Steve Masiello.

I agree Cluess would be a bad hire. I wouldn't mind Masiello but I think the administration needs to do everything possible to get Danny Hurley to Queens

« Reply #546 on: March 27, 2015, 03:25:06 PM »

I'm not a fan of Pitino, either (unless, it's the elder Pitino).

« Reply #547 on: March 27, 2015, 03:25:44 PM »

Yeah Minnesota fans not fond of Lil Pitino.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 03:25:58 PM by HowCouldUBeSoHarkless »

« Reply #548 on: March 27, 2015, 03:27:12 PM »

i hope this is not true, but based on the monasch quote it seems likely.  don't understand firing lavin without someone better lined up

Pete88

« Reply #549 on: March 27, 2015, 03:27:38 PM »

If that's the case then administration has no balls.  Again, either you're happy with direction or you change, you don't go looking for a discount.   I have no hope that they will make good decision on hire. 

My prediction is they will go cheap and hire Masiello or someone of the like, which means they don't give a shit about ever being a top-tier program.  Shame

« Reply #550 on: March 27, 2015, 03:29:51 PM »
Sampson decommitted. Others likely to follow. If we hire Hurley or Pitino , better take their team too because our recruits are goners.

goredmen

« Reply #551 on: March 27, 2015, 03:31:20 PM »

If that's the case then administration has no balls.  Again, either you're happy with direction or you change, you don't go looking for a discount.   I have no hope that they will make good decision on hire. 

My prediction is they will go cheap and hire Masiello or someone of the like, which means they don't give a shit about ever being a top-tier program.  Shame

A) Hiring Masiello doesn't necessarily mean going cheap, it could mean that SJU is no longer a highly sought after job and he's the only one that would take it.
B) Hiring Masiello doesn't necessarily mean that this program won't reach the next level. 33% chance the program gets to the next level under Masiello, 33% chance the program goes down a level under Masiello, 33% chance the program stays the same under Masiello.

Masiello and these other guys are hungry. If they come here and fail they are back to square 1 of their coaching career. They do not have the cushy fall back opportunities as our previous coach should they fail. That would lead them to make sure they don't take a recruiting year off

sju89tr

« Reply #552 on: March 27, 2015, 03:32:11 PM »

i hope this is not true, but based on the monasch quote it seems likely.  don't understand firing lavin without someone better lined up

Completely agree

I am pretty sure that at a min. they hope that they can hire D. Hurley

However due diligence needs to be explored with many other names

We however always have that mom and pop tag attached to us   

jr49

« Reply #553 on: March 27, 2015, 03:32:25 PM »
All the beat writers now saying the same things that have been posted here for weeks
The biggest Lavin backers on this board knew what went on the last couple of years did not have the look of a program being run by a professional coach. If SJU was a woman she would have asked Steve how come you don't love me any more. Might be he doesn't feel well. If so I hope he will be OK.

goredmen

« Reply #554 on: March 27, 2015, 03:33:09 PM »
Sampson decommitted. Others likely to follow. If we hire Hurley or Pitino , better take their team too because our recruits are goners.

Others? While Doughty and Thompkins are nice players, I'm sure we can survive if they go elsewhere. We have a TON of playing time to offer any recruit and I'm sure whoever the new coach is will make sure all recruits are well aware of that

Poison

« Reply #555 on: March 27, 2015, 03:36:02 PM »

What others? We have no others.

desco80

« Reply #556 on: March 27, 2015, 03:37:44 PM »

No, this is a perfectly logical position.
If they just fired him they would need to pay him $2mil not to coach next season.
By a mutual parting of the ways, that will be settled for less.    That's why you make him an offer, he refuses, and you agree to a settlement.    Firing him would have cost more, plain and simple.

sju89tr

« Reply #557 on: March 27, 2015, 03:38:02 PM »

What others? We have no others.

I am pretty sure you can snag some juco or unsigned 2-3 stars that can replicate what you can get from those 2 next year

goredmen

« Reply #558 on: March 27, 2015, 03:39:33 PM »
Zach Braziller ‏@NYPost_Brazille  27s27 seconds ago
Was told new #sjubb coach would be given great opportunity to get involved with top city players Rawle Alkins of Christ the King.

Well, well.....

« Reply #559 on: March 27, 2015, 03:42:28 PM »
Zach Braziller ‏@NYPost_Brazille  27s27 seconds ago
Was told new #sjubb coach would be given great opportunity to get involved with top city players Rawle Alkins of Christ the King.

Well, well.....

Well what do ya know