Carlos Morris - SG - Chipola CC - Jacksonville, FL - MINNESOTA

• 131 replies
Re: Carlos Morris - SG - Arlington Country Day - Jacksonville, FL
« Reply #100 on: April 03, 2012, 02:47:46 AM »
“@AdamZagoria: 2012 G Carlos Morris is now being courted by  St. John’s, Xavier, Tulane & South Carolina, Country Day coach Rex Morgan told @SNYtv”

Morgan was on the Jacksonville team that made it to the NCAA finals, losing to UCLA (I'm sure crgreen will write a short post about that game and UCLA's third-string center).  Cool story/update here:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7744074/how-jacksonville-earned-credit-card-paul-hemphill

Naw.  Sufficient to say, after Jacksonville dominated to start the game with an apparently unstoppable Artis Glmore,  Sidney Wicks begged Wooden to let him switch to guarding center, intead of PF Pembrooke Burrows.  Sid blocked four of Gilmore's next 6 shots (1 was a goal tend, but still an intimidating play) and Artis was a non-factor the rest of the way as UCLA  cruised to an 80-69 win and Title #6.  Sid was MVP with 17 pts & 18 rebs, center Steve Patterson easily won the matchup with PF Burrows, posting 17/11, and Curtis Rowe took the SF battle with 19/8.  Tho Morgan had 10 pts & 11 assists, he was still outplayed by UCLA's John Vallely, who got 15pts 7 rebs and 5 assists - Morgan fouled out trying to defend him.

Jacksonville was SUPPOSED to have dominated on the boards with their front line of 7'2 Gilmore, 7'0 Burrows, 6'10 McIntyre,  and 6'6 PG Morgan, but UCLA won that battle 50-38 with the 6'9 Patterson, 6'8 Wicks, 6'6 Rowe, and 6'3 Vallely.

Oh well, sure - what the heck....3rd string center Jon Chapman got in for 2 minutes of garbage time, missed his only shot, but did hit the stat sheet with one rebound!   :)

I can't even remember our game against Providence last year and look at the blow by blow Cr gives.

So true. I've lurked around here and redmen for quite a few years, I was born in 88 and the first game I remember really watching was St Johns vs Duke in the 98-99 season, I remember Ron hitting a late 3 to bring it to overtime and then falling short in OT to Brand, Battier, Maggette and those guys, but being die hard ever since. I had to rack my brain and even use the old google machine to remember some of the guys playing in those games. One of the things I have most enjoyed about Lavin coming to Queens has been being privileged to hear (or view) CRGreen's recollections about Lavins old days at UCLA, and even stories about recruiting battles and Woodens old teams. I feel like a kid being told bedtime stories about the old days of basketball. Truly remarkable CR, your mind is like a steel trap and I'm always glad to log on here and come across one of those multiple paragraph posts that is inevitably a CR history lesson.

« Reply #101 on: April 06, 2012, 07:17:01 AM »
I wonder if Chris Thomas signing with Xaiver & T.Hall working out for Coach Martin helps us with Morris?
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

paultzman

« Reply #102 on: April 09, 2012, 08:00:02 PM »
“@AdamZagoria: Antwan Tennell also told @SNYtv 2012 G Carlos Morris is "wide open" and is hearing from Texas A&M, South Carolina, UConn, SHU, SJU & Xavier”

Gumby

« Reply #103 on: April 18, 2012, 06:07:07 PM »
Carlos "Wide Open" Morris has been quiet for some time.

Just from reading the posts on Carlos, he would seem the most versatile of the SGs (shooters) we are trying to recruit.  Do we think he may still be SC bound?

desco80

« Reply #104 on: April 18, 2012, 10:11:40 PM »
Morris seems like a very good scorer who's recruitment has been very under the radar,  but I thought some posters here indicated a while ago that we were no longer pursuing him.    Maybe my memory has failed.

paultzman

« Reply #105 on: April 19, 2012, 07:57:47 AM »
Morris seems like a very good scorer who's recruitment has been very under the radar,  but I thought some posters here indicated a while ago that we were no longer pursuing him.    Maybe my memory has failed.

Good memory!

Poison

« Reply #106 on: April 19, 2012, 08:15:38 AM »
We don't know who we are pursuing, because no one has signed. Yet.

« Reply #107 on: April 19, 2012, 01:46:53 PM »
We don't know who we are pursuing, because no one has signed. Yet.

Pshaw, we've got a bunch of mindreaders and e-mail hackers on the site who know exactly what the staff is doing and, especially what they're not doing.

« Reply #108 on: June 25, 2012, 09:55:49 AM »
Headed to JUCO, Chipola.

gman

« Reply #109 on: June 25, 2012, 10:06:31 AM »
Headed to JUCO, Chipola.

Hopefully the staff keeps have on Carlos and chandler. Would be nice backup plans if their primary targets don't work out

LJSA

« Reply #110 on: June 25, 2012, 01:46:24 PM »
Headed to JUCO, Chipola.

Hopefully the staff keeps have on Carlos and chandler. Would be nice backup plans if their primary targets don't work out

A lot can happen between now and their graduation from juco. Two years from now they might be the prime targets, not backup plans.

crgreen

« Reply #111 on: June 25, 2012, 02:52:22 PM »
Headed to JUCO, Chipola.

A lot can happen between now and their graduation from juco. Two years from now they might be the prime targets, not backup plans.

I dunno.  In two years I expect us to be cherry picking top 15 talents, not still relying on JUCOs.   :)

LJSA

« Reply #112 on: June 25, 2012, 08:48:40 PM »
Headed to JUCO, Chipola.

I dunno.  In two years I expect us to be cherry picking top 15 talents, not still relying on JUCOs.   :)

I expect that too, but if Morris averages 24 ppg as a soph and Chandler goes for 22 and 12, I wouldn't mind seeing them here. There are a lot of talented shooting guards out there, but I would love for the staff to maintain whatever contact is legal with Chandler.

MCNPA

« Reply #113 on: June 25, 2012, 10:25:06 PM »
Headed to JUCO, Chipola.

I like the way CR thinks.  I will say, he's been right about Lavin all along. Cr's scenario seems like what we'll be doing.

gman

« Reply #114 on: June 25, 2012, 10:41:59 PM »
Headed to JUCO, Chipola.

Well aware of that.  I mean the primary kids we are being mentioned with now and the other HS names that pop up in the next 2 years

Moose

« Reply #115 on: February 09, 2013, 08:45:27 PM »
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #116 on: June 01, 2013, 04:27:03 PM »
“@JucoRecruiting: Latest addition to the All-American @JUCOShowcase Elite 80 East is Carlos Morris (6-5/G/2014) of Chipola College.”

pmg911

« Reply #117 on: September 11, 2013, 12:29:37 PM »
Minnesota was in Chipola to see him yesterday. .  Mizzu was there too

pmg911

« Reply #118 on: September 11, 2013, 12:30:58 PM »
**can this guy please be moved to 2014 class

Marillac

« Reply #119 on: September 16, 2013, 12:40:07 AM »
Solid

13ppg, 3.5 rpg, 2apg, 36 from 3, 79 from the line

http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2012-13/div1/players/carlosmorrisrq6a?view=gamelog

Impressive.  That might be the toughest region in the country, and doing that as a freshman is legit.  Hatten, for comparison's sake, averaged 16 ppg for Tallahassee CC and upped that to 24 as a soph.  Chipola is always loaded.  That is where Brownlee came from.  As a soph, Brownlee averaged 10.1 ppg and 5.7 rpg.

I really like this kid.  NBA size, good athlete, great looking shot.  I don't know how he defends, passes or boards, but he'd be unlike any other player on the current roster in terms of size and skill and could be huge for us in 2015-2016.