D'Angelo Harrison Draft Prospects

• 41 replies

Tha Kid

D'Angelo Harrison Draft Prospects
« on: May 15, 2015, 02:47:28 PM »
A Houston Rockets fan website did a profile on Dee.  If this was posted elsewhere already, I apologize.

https://spacecityscoop.com/2015/05/09/houston-rockets-2015-nba-draft-dangelo-harrison/
"I drink and I know things"

Re: D'Angelo Harrison Draft Prospects
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 10:17:33 PM »
nice catch, really nice write up

sju89tr

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 12:09:49 PM »
Rally a slap in the face by the NBA Combine not to invite the THIRD leading scorer in St Johns basketball history to the draft camp. Dom should have been invited to as I compare their resumes to those invited.

Dee is as much a prospect if not more than either Harrison twin   

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 12:14:26 PM »
Dee has a small shot at finding a niche in the NBA. What he should be doing is focusing on ball handling and other PG skills. I could see him becoming a Patty Mills type guy. That's his NBA ceiling.

sju89tr

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 12:17:05 PM »
Dee has a small shot at finding a niche in the NBA. What he should be doing is focusing on ball handling and other PG skills. I could see him becoming a Patty Mills type guy. That's his NBA ceiling.

I personally don't think he has the foot speed to play very long in the NBA but from just the standpoint of an invite, he deserves it. Dom's NBA propsects are much better in my opinion

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 12:18:31 PM »
I think Dom is the better prospect. I've been trying to push the Spurs to give him a look as a mini Leonard.

Harrison can make bank overseas. I really wish they would have played him on the ball more last year ala Hardy.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 12:22:37 PM »

I personally don't think he has the foot speed to play very long in the NBA but from just the standpoint of an invite, he deserves it. Dom's NBA propsects are much better in my opinion

Agreed about Dom. With him it comes down to whether or not he can score against NBA players. I think he'll be fine on the defensive end. If I'm a GM I'm taking a chance on Dom with a 2nd round pick.

pmg911

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 09:59:34 AM »
I really wish they would have played him on the ball more last year ala Hardy.

He has very weak handle, doing that weould have hurt the team on the court.

I like Harrison, he plays super hard but kid is not an NBA player. He shoots it well and has great range but he will get smothered in the NBA by his release point and he is not good enough off the dribble where NBA guys would have to give him even the slightest bit of space.

Kid should go focus on making as much money as possible in Europe.

Marillac

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 02:22:27 PM »

I like Harrison, he plays super hard but kid is not an NBA player. He shoots it well and has great range but he will get smothered in the NBA by his release point and he is not good enough off the dribble where NBA guys would have to give him even the slightest bit of space.

He has an exceptional handle for a two guard and his handle was at least as good as Hardy's--probably better--and with very good vision. 

His struggles off the dribble are entirely talent-based.  He has all the skill you could ever want in a player.

pmg911

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 02:59:56 PM »

He has an exceptional handle for a two guard and his handle was at least as good as Hardy's--probably better--and with very good vision. 

His struggles off the dribble are entirely talent-based.  He has all the skill you could ever want in a player.

Take off the SJU blinders for a minute. I never said Hardy had a good handle.

Having a good handle in the Big East and having a good handle in the NBA are not the same. He doesn't have a good handle.

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 03:22:30 PM »

Having a good handle in the Big East and having a good handle in the NBA are not the same. He doesn't have a good handle.

No what you said is that he has a "very weak" handle, which is absurd.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

pmg911

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 03:40:58 PM »

Lets clarify ..

One the college level, Harrison has/had a weak handle for a point guard and the NBA level, he does not have a good handle for any position.

Marillac

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 04:01:00 PM »

Lets clarify ..

One the college level, Harrison has/had a weak handle for a point guard and the NBA level, he does not have a good handle for any position.

This is one of the most bizarre comments ever written on this board.  You can't seriously feel this way.  I don't think Harrison will make the NBA--so you can spare me the "SJU blinders" comments.  He is not big enough and he is not fast enough.  He doesn't have an NBA body or NBA athletic ability.  But the kid has more skill than just about anyone in this draft.  He has a low tight dribble with superior coordination.  He always has his head up and his vision is excellent. 

Harrison would be in the top 25% of two-guards in the NBA in terms of ability to handle the ball and better as you go up the ladder in position.  What they have that he doesn't is the ability to turn the corner with their speed and an the ability to separate from defenders.  Harrison can only do that with his step back mid-range and even that is blocked waaaaay too much.  He has a low release point on his shot to make matters worse and doesn't elevate enough on his jumper.

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 05:37:57 PM »
If you counted how many time D'lo got his pocket picked during his 4 years here, you would still have fingers left over.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

pmg911

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2015, 08:38:01 AM »
you know what, I am going to stop my commentary here..

I think Harrison is a warrior and love everything he gave to St. John's during his time and love even more that he graduated this past weekend.

I wish him all the success in the world in anything he does moving forward.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 08:38:28 AM by pmg911 »

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2015, 09:10:13 AM »
I agree with PMG's take - Dlo will likely have a great career overseas but fall short of the league. I still think there is a possibility he could turn into an Eddie House-type - who had a very weak handle btw - but there are tons of guards who can come off the bench and score, and competition for those spots is steep.  Hopefully he proves me wrong. Sometimes it comes down to just catching on with the right team at the right time.

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2015, 12:06:29 PM »
He is an Ideal 6th man in the NBA.  People don't understand the defense is harder and more physical  in college than it is in the NBA. The space is a lot more wide up and the Mid range is always open and that is where Harrison will make his living in the league.  Just like at the PIT videos he is treating top  college seniors like a freshman guard playing for Fordham.  Harrison has a shot  at the league.
Check out a couple game from the PIT tournament,  I was on a long layover in LHR  when I watched these guys don't judge me!

https://youtu.be/bqRhjs5kTGk
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

Poison

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2015, 02:08:39 AM »
There are a lot of players in the league that flat out suck at basketball. Like the entire Knick team. Harrison will have his chance. And so will Dom. If they have grab a Kentucky player and break his arm to secure a roster spot, I wouldn't be proud of it, but I'd be okay with it.

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2015, 05:25:10 PM »
@DangeloHarrison 2h2 hours ago
Went well today #ontoLA
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CGhOwodUQAAjycJ.jpg

desco80

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2015, 10:14:59 AM »
Rally a slap in the face by the NBA Combine not to invite the THIRD leading scorer in St Johns basketball history to the draft camp. Dom should have been invited to as I compare their resumes to those invited.

Dee is as much a prospect if not more than either Harrison twin   

I've gotta disagree with you there.   The Harrison twins aren't great prospects, but they're 6'6 and a ton more athletic.   
And Aaron showed great clutch shooting in two straight Final Four runs.   They're both better prospects than Dee unfortunately