Open Practice- October 31

• 55 replies

NYCoffey

Re: Open Practice- October 31
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2015, 08:53:40 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: St. John's expected to have a big group of visitors Saturday for Red-White Scrimmage, I'm told. #sjubb

I had a feeling that was possible, once I heard Sid Wilson was visiting on Saturday.  Figured, there would be other visitors, as well.  Good deal!   

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2015, 08:55:32 PM »
Just saw minaya's kid is visiting for the scrimmage on Saturday

https://mobile.twitter.com/NYPost_Brazille/status/655406411447447552

Omar Minaya?

Adam Zagoria
‏@AdamZagoria
Justin Minaya, a 6-5 G from Old Tappan and son of former Mets GM Omar Minaya, visits St. John's Saturday

paultzman

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2015, 07:21:48 PM »

@F150Bflinn: 2018 Poly (MD) G Demetrius Mims will visit St. John's this weekend. UVA, VCU, Seton Hall and UNLV all involved. Had a great showing @ pangos

paultzman

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2015, 07:28:37 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: Immanuel Quickley, Justin Mimaya, Che Evans and Sidney Wilson four confirmed names to visit #sjubb Saturday. A lot more coming.

paultzman

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2015, 01:21:30 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: Told #sjubb big visit day will be next Saturday's exhibition. Justin Minaya, Sidney Wilson, Bryce Wills will be at Red-White Scrimmage Sat.

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2015, 09:34:10 AM »
@NYPost_Brazille: A few more visitors for #sjubb Red-White Scrimmage: 2018 guard Immanuel Quickley and 2018 forwards Mamadou Doucoure and Boubacar Diakite.

@NYPost_Brazille: St John's will also host 2016 commit Shamorie Ponds tomorrow per source.

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2015, 12:27:36 PM »
@Iam_RawleAlkins: On my way to St.Johns for there Red & White scrimmage should be fun

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2015, 12:58:13 PM »
Looks like a sparse crowd, fr the Twitter pictures.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2015, 01:15:36 PM »
Definitely have more shooters on this team than in previous years. Lot of 3's being taken and knocked down in this scrimmage.

« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2015, 01:17:29 PM »
Looks like a sparse crowd, fr the Twitter pictures.
  Red White scrimmage needs to be held at night. It always was.  People in New York are busy on Saturday afternoons.  Would love to be there but I can't.  People don't give up there Saturday afternoons for an intrasquad scrimmage.

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2015, 01:29:44 PM »
We have a shot at a post season tournament outside of NCAA,  this team can really shoot the ball and are so unselfish . what a breath of fresh air. Malik was a steal he can be in the league in 3 years! Christian Jones after he graduates this year should join the And 1 mixtape tour , BALL UP , Street ball all stars & Harlem Globetrotters. He doesn't have the heart for organized basketball he is getting muscled out by freshmen. Please just save SJU a scholarship and your time of rotting in the bench!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 01:34:55 PM by KAHNIGHT »
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2015, 01:52:19 PM »
Can't do the game tonight bc of Mets, even less people would be in attendance.

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2015, 02:09:58 PM »
I know it's a scrimmage, but I just can't see this team finishing in last place.

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2015, 02:14:04 PM »
Can't do the game tonight bc of Mets, even less people would be in attendance.
Truth.  But . . . . the scrimmage was planned before we knew the Mets would be playing tonight.  But you're right actually.  We were screwed either way.  And with all the recruits in attendence. Geez. Including Rawle.  I hope this doesn't look bad to them. 
As far as the WS goes, can't resist saying this about the Royals.  Someone should inform Hosmer that you are permitted to overun first base.  Dude's going to kill himself sliding head first in there on close plays.  Slides are for slowing down into a base, not speeding up.  It does you no good.  Duhhh.  But I guess he's just too macho to learn.

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2015, 02:21:22 PM »
I know it's a scrimmage, but I just can't see this team finishing in last place.

I also know that they're playing each other, but I also can't see them finishing in last place. But Lovett is important to get qualified.

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2015, 02:31:39 PM »
It's early...helter skelter...some players aren't that good.  Johnson, Mvoika, Balamou and Lovett impressed.  It could be a long, long season.  We'll see.

redslope

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2015, 02:36:59 PM »

I also know that they're playing each other, but I also can't see them finishing in last place. But Lovett is important to get qualified.
Totally agree==different team without him

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2015, 03:06:23 PM »
My thoughts

LoVett is so much fun to watch. Please lord grant us this one wish. Can Shoot, pass, drive, and draws plenty of contact. Think hed play close to 35 minutes a game.

Ellsion is such a good athlete, probably most complete on the team. Cant believe how fast he is in a straight line. Missed some easy ones today but thought he did a great job all around. Looks ready to go.

Johnson- You can see what he is capable of, will need him to not only score but rebound and defend at a high level to compete.

Mussini- Quickest release we've had since I can remember. Thin as a  twig but seems to play stronger and quicker than he looks. Changes speeds well, couple very nice passes. Excited to see him play along side LoVett.

Sima- Tough to tell, I like his form on his jumper, really attacked the offensive glass. Obviously needs to get stronger but it seems like he has a pretty good feel for the game.

Mvouika- Hit 3-4 threes but didnt do much else. Not the quickest player so I wonder how his defense will be, got blown by a few times. If he can hit shots and be a leader than that is a great addition.

Williams- Cant get over how much he looks like Obekpa on the court. Anyone else? He hit some threes but he looks rusty out there, almost hesitant to make any moves. That one drive where he attempted the poster dunk on Sima was impressive. We will need him to commit to rebounding if we are going to be competitive.

Yakwe- Nose for the ball which is great to see. Physically strong and uses body well. His shot within 10-12 feet looks pretty good. Year off should help him develop skills.

Owens- Surprised with form on his jumper. Long and active. Great piece to have for the next 4 years.

Jones-  Jones impressed me like he has in the past. Had to have close to 12 boards which was nice to see.  Quick first step and has interior skills that this team lacks. His hands are very poor however.  Hope he gets a shot at a consistent role this year.

Amar- struggled in the game but physically looked much better.

Felix- In the beginning I saw some nice things but as the game went on he kind of disappeared. Hope his arm is ok.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2015, 03:21:29 PM »

15 boards for Jones! And he was jumping high for em! Hope he stays motivated.

Free throws from the big guys as expected. Hope they can clean that up but the guards shot well from the charity stripe. Amar struggled but looked less sloppy then he did last year so keep that going.

Balamou looked solid in the first half, then disappeared, then hurt his arm. So hope he's ok for Wednesday want to see more of him.

Owens and Yakwe looked good, hope they can even improve more in their red shirt year.