Something to root for...

• 59 replies
Re: Something to root for...
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2015, 02:27:46 PM »
Anyone else think Walter Berry was a better College player than Chris Mullin?

No

His Junior year Berry was the best player I have ever seen at SJU. Berry was also clearly the best player in the country that year. Mullin had a better career but for that one season Berry was the best.
1. Mullin
2. Berry
3. Sealy
4. Artest
The clear best four of my time as a fan. Every other player is a tier below those 4 and in fact there is a big divide between Sealy and Artest

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2015, 02:30:17 PM »
Is Harrison the best SG ever to play for the Johnnies?

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2015, 02:35:36 PM »

If you put Mullin at the three (he was the shooting guard his first 2 seasons), he is in conversation with a few other guys, Hatten, Bootsy. Tough to clearly give him the number one spot if he never makes the tourney. Personally I put Mullin at 2, Sealy at 3, but it is hard to go strictly by position in college.

« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2015, 02:38:39 PM »

If you put Mullin at the three (he was the shooting guard his first 2 seasons), he is in conversation with a few other guys, Hatten, Bootsy. Tough to clearly give him the number one spot if he never makes the tourney. Personally I put Mullin at 2, Sealy at 3, but it is hard to go strictly by position in college.
Before old timers start yelling at me, I never saw Loughery ,Schaefer or anyone really before Mullin. And when Mullin was a frosh I was 9 I believe.

cjfish

« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2015, 03:51:31 PM »
Harrison the best in recent decades.  Older guys who were great were Joe DePre, Loughery, John Warren, Ken McIntyre (all in the 60s) and Schaefer (but he was an outside shooting forward).  Lots of greats before that but Im not that ancient and have no first hand knowledge.  DePre, Warren anchored very strong teams in the late 60s, both were great defensive players who could shoot outside or go to the hoop.  Both played pro, in the ABA and NBA.  Warren rode the pines for the knicks.   

Poison

« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2015, 05:14:35 PM »

I think Hatten is. I love Dlo. He's not in Hatten's league.

« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2015, 06:07:18 PM »
';

This by no way takes away for my love and respect for Hatten...but if they played one on one my money would be on Harrison.

Poison

« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2015, 07:30:20 PM »
';

This by no way takes away for my love and respect for Hatten...but if they played one on one my money would be on Harrison.

Hatten was significantly quicker than Harrison.

« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2015, 07:48:22 PM »
';

Agree...but Harrison is much stronger, can score inside and outside...he loves contact!

Poison

« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2015, 08:25:06 PM »

No

His Junior year Berry was the best player I have ever seen at SJU. Berry was also clearly the best player in the country that year. Mullin had a better career but for that one season Berry was the best.
1. Mullin
2. Berry
3. Sealy
4. Artest
The clear best four of my time as a fan. Every other player is a tier below those 4 and in fact there is a big divide between Sealy and Artest
';

Agree...but Harrison is much stronger, can score inside and outside...he loves contact!

Donf get me wrong, I love Harrison, but everything he can do, Hatten could do as well if not better. Hatten was smaller, much smaller. No way he six feet tall. That's part of what made his accomplishments so amazing.

Harrison has been limited by poor coaching and recruiting judgement, so his success might have been different the last 3 years if Lavin's staff was more responsible. But Hatten had two amazing seasons here when he was without a shadow of doubt the only player on the team without serious flaws in his game. Stop him, and its over. Harrison has Jordan, Obekpa, Pointer etc. even with a depleted bench, he has much more to work with. Hatten was told to do it himself every single night. That was actually the game plan. And usually he did it.

« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2015, 09:06:11 PM »

No

1. Mullin
2. Berry
3. Sealy
4. Artest
';

Dont get me wrong, I love Harrison, but everything he can do, Hatten could do as well if not better. Hatten was smaller, much smaller. No way he six feet tall. That's part of what made his accomplishments so amazing.

Harrison has been limited by poor coaching and recruiting judgement, so his success might have been different the last 3 years if Lavin's staff was more responsible. But Hatten had two amazing seasons here when he was without a shadow of doubt the only player on the team without serious flaws in his game. Stop him, and its over. Harrison has Jordan, Obekpa, Pointer etc. even with a depleted bench, he has much more to work with. Hatten was told to do it himself every single night. That was actually the game plan. And usually he did it.
Before Harrison arrived Hatten was my 2nd favorite player I ever watched at St Johns after Sealy (Mullin was before my time).   Now my top 3 are Sealy, Harrison, Hatten.  What Hatten did night in and night out without much support was incredible. 

I would say Hatten was more of a PG who could shoot and score.  Harrison is more of a true SG.  Both were/have been great players and a lot of fun to watch.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on who would win in a one on one. 

« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2015, 08:26:39 AM »
Greg oden was the most dominant college player I have ever witnessed.

Poison

« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2015, 08:40:10 AM »

No

1. Mullin
2. Berry
3. Sealy
4. Artest
';

Dont get me wrong, I love Harrison, but everything he can do, Hatten could do as well if not better. Hatten was smaller, much smaller. No way he six feet tall. That's part of what made his accomplishments so amazing.

Before Harrison arrived Hatten was my 2nd favorite player I ever watched at St Johns after Sealy (Mullin was before my time).   Now my top 3 are Sealy, Harrison, Hatten.  What Hatten did night in and night out without much support was incredible. 

I would say Hatten was more of a PG who could shoot and score.  Harrison is more of a true SG.  Both were/have been great players and a lot of fun to watch.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on who would win in a one on one. 

It hasn't been until this year that Harrison has been consistently good against top teams. Hatten took it to ranked opponents and scared the shit out of them. Hatten was not a PG, but he was talented enough to handle it.

I recall watching a game a couple of years ago w a former player and I him what he thought of a harrison to Hatten to comparison, and the guy laughed. "Hatten, no contest, he said". 

derk

« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2015, 10:30:00 PM »
Harrison the best in recent decades.  Older guys who were great were Joe DePre, Loughery, John Warren, Ken McIntyre (all in the 60s) and Schaefer (but he was an outside shooting forward).  Lots of greats before that but Im not that ancient and have no first hand knowledge.  DePre, Warren anchored very strong teams in the late 60s, both were great defensive players who could shoot outside or go to the hoop.  Both played pro, in the ABA and NBA.  Warren rode the pines for the knicks.   
Don't forget Boo

cjfish

« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2015, 07:10:36 PM »
Boo could play, I was going back further, talking 60s and early 70s when I went to a lot of games before I moved out of town and became primarily a TV guy 

pmg911

« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2015, 12:37:01 PM »

great read but list is a little funky

No

http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?storyId=7185970&wjb=

This guy has Berry at 6, no Mullin

Foad

« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2015, 12:44:10 PM »

No

That list has Michael Graham (Georgetown) at #42 and no mention of Patrick Ewing.

« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2015, 12:45:17 PM »
no love for Reggie Carter , was a great SG also

Foad

« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2015, 12:47:38 PM »

No

That list has Michael Graham (Georgetown) at #42 and no mention of Patrick Ewing.

And one player from Syracuse. Is it D Coleman? No. Carmelo? No. Billy Owens? Lawrence Moten? No. Gerry McNamara.

« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2015, 12:49:33 PM »

No

The guy mentions that his main criterion is that the player had a getter college career than pro.  A couple on there seem to go against that.