Shamorie Ponds

• 64 replies
Re: Shamorie Ponds
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2017, 11:51:56 AM »
9-2 w/o one of our best 3 players. Once Lovett comes back Ponds won't have as much of a burden and can take less and better shots and Simon becomes our 3rd best player. When you take Lovett out of equation, we have overachieved.

Overachieved? We have played 2 good teams so far this year and lost both. We haven't lost to anybody worse than us even without Lovett. So far we've lost the two games to the two teams better and beat all of the teams worse. I wouldn't say that's overachieving or underachieving

The number #3 team in the country and a 10-2 team.
We won half of our games w/o our 2nd best player.  Our current 6th man's best attribute is drawing charges. We are basically playing a 5 man rotation. 10-2 is about as best as we could have hoped for.

We've only played 4 games so far without Lovett. One of them was the Arizona State game which was a loss. The 3 wins were Sacred Heart, Grand Canyon and Iona. Are any of those 3 teams better than this SJU team without Lovett?

Last year we lose Iona and Grand Canyon game w/o Lovett

goredmen

« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2017, 11:57:23 AM »
9-2 w/o one of our best 3 players. Once Lovett comes back Ponds won't have as much of a burden and can take less and better shots and Simon becomes our 3rd best player. When you take Lovett out of equation, we have overachieved.

Overachieved? We have played 2 good teams so far this year and lost both. We haven't lost to anybody worse than us even without Lovett. So far we've lost the two games to the two teams better and beat all of the teams worse. I wouldn't say that's overachieving or underachieving

We won half of our games w/o our 2nd best player.  Our current 6th man's best attribute is drawing charges. We are basically playing a 5 man rotation. 10-2 is about as best as we could have hoped for.

We've only played 4 games so far without Lovett. One of them was the Arizona State game which was a loss. The 3 wins were Sacred Heart, Grand Canyon and Iona. Are any of those 3 teams better than this SJU team without Lovett?

Yeah because we were a way worse team and didn't have Simon or Clark. This year's team is not losing either of those games without Lovett, and didn't. Without Lovett the (at least) 3 best players on the court at any given time in those 2 games were SJU players. Lovett is a good player but he's not the difference between winning and losing games to Iona and Grand Canyon. That's insane.

« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2017, 12:05:58 PM »

Yeah because we were a way worse team and didn't have Simon or Clark. This year's team is not losing either of those games without Lovett, and didn't. Without Lovett the (at least) 3 best players on the court at any given time in those 2 games were SJU players. Lovett is a good player but he's not the difference between winning and losing games to Iona and Grand Canyon. That's insane.

We have 6 good players. W/O Lovett we have 5 good players. We played well in both losses against good teams. We have beaten the teams we were supposed w/o our 2nd best player. Furthermore our best player has not played as well as he can.  Statistically you can argue he has actually played pretty bad. My point is no way can or should anyone be unhappy with where we are to date.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 12:07:05 PM by we are sju »

goredmen

« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2017, 12:11:59 PM »

We have 6 good players. W/O Lovett we have 5 good players. We played well in both losses against good teams. We have beaten the teams we were supposed w/o our 2nd best player. Furthermore our best player has not played as well as he can.  Statistically you can argue he has actually played pretty bad. My point is no way can or should anyone be unhappy with where we are to date.

You're right we have 5 good players without Lovett. Iona and Grand Canyon don't have 5 good players combined between the 2 of them.

I agree that nobody should be unhappy at this point, but also can't say this team has overachieved thus far

« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2017, 12:20:42 PM »

You're right we have 5 good players without Lovett. Iona and Grand Canyon don't have 5 good players combined between the 2 of them.

I agree that nobody should be unhappy at this point, but also can't say this team has overachieved thus far

Based on our recent past I had them losing one more game at this point. Figured we would be 8-3 and since I didn't figure on Lovett not playing, as far as I am concerned we have overachieved. ;)