Jermaine Lawrence - PF - Cincinnati Transfer - Bayside, NY

• 1791 replies

Poison

Re: Jermaine Lawrence - PF - Cincinnati Transfer - Bayside, NY
« Reply #1720 on: May 17, 2014, 12:44:07 PM »
Not really. I do think you guys are over rated and I think a number of fans this board are somewhat delusional regarding their perception of where St. John's exists in the real college basketball universe.

Which local program should be given more credit, if we are overrated?

All are irrelevant on a national scale.  Do you think St. John's is relevant nationally?

Another thing. There are 85 pages in this Lawrence recruit thread, but now the kid can't cut it.
I don't think we are close to a national power but how could we be irrelevant nationally and land recruits out of the nyc area ?

Not saying Lavon can't recruit. Obviously he can. But also he obviously can't develop the talent he recruits.

That's not a fair assessment. Jordan started off scoring 2 points, picking up charges and stupid fouls. By mid season, he was one of the best guards in the conference. Maybe you didn't like that they didn't make the dance, and that's fine. No one did, but if you think no one improves here, that's BS. Team went from 7-9 to 10-6. It wasn't the leap we expected, but even if we're the tallest dwarf in NYC, we're still the best team.

It seems like you're not watching carefully. If you are, feel free to explain your POV.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 12:46:15 PM by Poison »

Poison

« Reply #1721 on: May 17, 2014, 12:48:48 PM »
He is a Jehova's Witness and may not wish to paticipate in some of the religious functions that SJU athletes attend.  I would think that accomodations could be made for that but, who knows.

STJ isn't pushing religion on a player that isn't interested. That's not why he isn't coming. We're not BYU.

LoganK

« Reply #1722 on: May 17, 2014, 01:25:01 PM »

"Firstly, there's no apostrophe in "things"."

"You're real estate was significantly cheaper, and you probably have less rush hour traffic."

I have no dog in the fight re: your argument, I just found this pretty entertaining...

If you're going to correct someone else's grammar, please ensure your own typing is grammatically correct, at least for the length of the post.  "You are real estate" doesn't seem to be what you were going for there...

Foad

« Reply #1723 on: May 17, 2014, 01:33:16 PM »
If you're going to correct someone else's grammar, please ensure your own typing is grammatically correct, at least for the length of the post.  "You are real estate" doesn't seem to be what you were going for there...

Skitt's Law: Any post correcting an error in another post will contain at least one error itself.

boo3

« Reply #1724 on: May 17, 2014, 01:34:21 PM »
I've lived in the Ny/Nj area my whole life and personally think it sucks. 

Counting the days until I'm out. 

« Reply #1725 on: May 17, 2014, 02:21:55 PM »
He is a Jehova's Witness and may not wish to paticipate in some of the religious functions that SJU athletes attend.  I would think that accomodations could be made for that but, who knows.

STJ isn't pushing religion on a player that isn't interested. That's not why he isn't coming. We're not BYU.

I'm not suggesting that St. John's is "pushing" religion on anyone.  People of many faiths attend without a problem.  I did date a Jehova's Witness in the past, and they are pretty strict in the things that they will not do.  Some of their beliefs may be compromised if they attend a non-secular school.  I have no idea if that played any role in his decision.  Strictly speculation.

Poison

« Reply #1726 on: May 17, 2014, 02:27:36 PM »

"Firstly, there's no apostrophe in "things"."

"You're real estate was significantly cheaper, and you probably have less rush hour traffic."

I have no dog in the fight re: your argument, I just found this pretty entertaining...

Oh, there are probably other errors, too.

Foad

« Reply #1727 on: May 17, 2014, 03:35:58 PM »
I did date a Jehova's Witness in the past, and they are pretty strict in the things that they will not do

Maybe she just wouldn't do them with you.

Poison

« Reply #1728 on: May 17, 2014, 03:39:01 PM »

I'm not suggesting that St. John's is "pushing" religion on anyone.  People of many faiths attend without a problem.  I did date a Jehova's Witness in the past, and they are pretty strict in the things that they will not do.  Some of their beliefs may be compromised if they attend a non-secular school.  I have no idea if that played any role in his decision.  Strictly speculation.

Well, did you read the pamphlet she handed you, first?

« Reply #1729 on: May 17, 2014, 03:42:27 PM »
I did date a Jehova's Witness in the past, and they are pretty strict in the things that they will not do

Maybe she just wouldn't do them with you.

Lol.  I wasn't even thinking about sexual things but, now that you mention it...

« Reply #1730 on: May 17, 2014, 03:45:52 PM »
She's actually the only person I've dated since my divorce that I could imagine being married to.  Wonderful person but I would have had to convert for things to get too serious.

« Reply #1731 on: May 17, 2014, 04:13:53 PM »
Was she always knocking on your door at the worst possible times?

« Reply #1732 on: May 17, 2014, 04:31:33 PM »
Not really. I do think you guys are over rated and I think a number of fans this board are somewhat delusional regarding their perception of where St. John's exists in the real college basketball universe.

Which local program should be given more credit, if we are overrated?

All are irrelevant on a national scale.  Do you think St. John's is relevant nationally?

Another thing. There are 85 pages in this Lawrence recruit thread, but now the kid can't cut it.
I don't think we are close to a national power but how could we be irrelevant nationally and land recruits out of the nyc area ?

Not saying Lavon can't recruit. Obviously he can. But also he obviously can't develop the talent he recruits.

That's not a fair assessment. Jordan started off scoring 2 points, picking up charges and stupid fouls. By mid season, he was one of the best guards in the conference. Maybe you didn't like that they didn't make the dance, and that's fine. No one did, but if you think no one improves here, that's BS. Team went from 7-9 to 10-6. It wasn't the leap we expected, but even if we're the tallest dwarf in NYC, we're still the best team.

It seems like you're not watching carefully. If you are, feel free to explain your POV.
We were never 7-9.

« Reply #1733 on: May 17, 2014, 05:39:22 PM »

Amen!

LJSA

« Reply #1734 on: May 17, 2014, 11:19:09 PM »
As for the religious thing, I didn't see anyone mention that Zendon is a seventh-day adventist. He seemed happy enough here.

LJSA

« Reply #1735 on: May 17, 2014, 11:24:28 PM »
CBS asked 100 division 1 coaches what was the dirtiest recruitment in the past decade...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/19865011/critical-coaches-which-player-had-the-dirtiest-recruitment

Shabazz Muhammad's recruitment must have been really dirty if his recruitment was more than twice as dirty as Anderson's.

« Reply #1736 on: May 18, 2014, 08:28:50 AM »
As for the religious thing, I didn't see anyone mention that Zendon is a seventh-day adventist. He seemed happy enough here.

I hate to turn this into a religion thread but...  I have also know Seventh Day Adventist women and they are much less restricted in their "activities" than Jehova's Witnesses.

« Reply #1737 on: May 18, 2014, 12:01:49 PM »

You retiring boo, or just planning a new location? 

boo3

« Reply #1738 on: May 18, 2014, 12:04:34 PM »

You retiring boo, or just planning a new location? 

Lol@ retiring...Would love to relocate.. Spent some time in Austin Texas recently and loved it...What a great city.  People are actually, you know, nice there....

boo3

« Reply #1739 on: May 18, 2014, 12:05:53 PM »
 Love this...

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels  27m
Tired of dudes that check in at 6-8, 220-pounds wanting to be perimeter guys. Get in the paint. There's only one Kevin Durant.