Jermaine Lawrence - PF - Cincinnati Transfer - Bayside, NY

• 1791 replies

Chilleb

Re: Jermaine Lawrence - PF - Cardozo HS - Bayside, NY
« Reply #200 on: May 12, 2012, 02:54:24 PM »
Guys I'm just the messenger and I'm in agreement with our side of the argument and i feel that our staff should be aggressive in stating these facts. However this was no fly by night source I spoke with. They have direct daily access to the rutgers camp and these are the things he passed along to me. I'm just bringing it back to the team. Ididnt agree with it either buy the truth is the truth and from the sounds of it mike rice has a nack for promising the world to potential recruits

Moose

« Reply #201 on: May 12, 2012, 03:03:19 PM »
Guys I'm just the messenger and I'm in agreement with our side of the argument and i feel that our staff should be aggressive in stating these facts. However this was no fly by night source I spoke with. They have direct daily access to the rutgers camp and these are the things he passed along to me. I'm just bringing it back to the team. Ididnt agree with it either buy the truth is the truth and from the sounds of it mike rice has a nack for promising the world to potential recruits

I know your just the messenger Chille.  I don't doubt that city people are saying this stuff.  The problem is the 'reason' they are saying things.  They have a very short memory and they very much are 'what have you done for me lately'.

Rice might be promising the world to them.  However then recruits watch him coach a game and see a psycho.
Remember who broke the Slice news

LJSA

« Reply #202 on: May 12, 2012, 03:05:50 PM »
And stuff like this is why we should be grateful that we're a national program under Lavin, and not a regional one.

ris

« Reply #203 on: May 12, 2012, 03:07:00 PM »
Rutgers in fact leading for Lawrence had a long conversation with a top tier source. Lavins health still a lingering issue with recruits. Don't shoot me im just the messenger.

0 players from New York in our team doesn´t help.

Gonzalo?

No.

« Reply #204 on: May 12, 2012, 03:46:35 PM »
I wasn't trying to attack you. Sorry if it came across that way. I just dont understand the logic behind the people who told you it

paultzman

« Reply #205 on: May 12, 2012, 03:59:52 PM »
With this kid's improvement, can't we expect getting him to be a challenge? It is my understanding that we have a good relationship with him and his mother. Lavin went to see him in Europe and Childs knows him well. All in all, we are in the hunt. Perhaps Rutgers has gained some momentum, but let's remember Lavin closed the recruitment deal for JaKarr in the face of tough competition, a strange HS coach and rumors about his health. In winning this battle, don't forget the family expressed great faith in Lavin and staff. Something tells me the same interpersonal skills of Coach L.,in conjunction with staff's capacity to develop NBA ready folks, will prevail in the end.

« Reply #206 on: May 12, 2012, 06:27:20 PM »
Wow, what a surprise!  The Rutgers people are talking up Rutgers and trying to talk down St. John's...Wow, I've never seen that before...Just like when we hear from Seton Hall people that Seton Hall is awesome and leading for everyone and they also try to talk down St. John's

« Reply #207 on: May 12, 2012, 06:32:29 PM »
Chilleb, I don't doubt that you were told what you relayed to us.  However, you indicate that it came from someone close to the Rutgers camp.  Also, they indicate that Lavin's health remains an issue.

I don't doubt that Mike Rice would try to use Lavin's health issues---which by all accounts are behind him--- in his recruiting.  He (Rice) seems like the type to do that (a bit Gonzo-like).  I also don't doubt that the Rutgers people would try to hype up how strong they are with Lawrence, and try to leak that word out.

It doesn't mean that any of it is true.

Happy

« Reply #208 on: May 12, 2012, 06:59:35 PM »
Chilleb, I don't doubt that you were told what you relayed to us.  However, you indicate that it came from someone close to the Rutgers camp.  Also, they indicate that Lavin's health remains an issue.

I don't doubt that Mike Rice would try to use Lavin's health issues---which by all accounts are behind him--- in his recruiting.  He (Rice) seems like the type to do that (a bit Gonzo-like).  I also don't doubt that the Rutgers people would try to hype up how strong they are with Lawrence, and try to leak that word out.

It's a little early and off base to insinuate that Rice is using dirty recruitment tactics against coach Lavin. They were just at the coaches vs cancer event together and are friendly .

« Reply #209 on: May 12, 2012, 07:16:20 PM »

It's a little early and off base to insinuate that Rice is using dirty recruitment tactics against coach Lavin. They were just at the coaches vs cancer event together and are friendly .

Ok.  I'll insinuate it in a few months.

Happy

« Reply #210 on: May 12, 2012, 07:17:04 PM »

Based on??

LJSA

« Reply #211 on: May 12, 2012, 07:58:08 PM »

He's crazy, but I don't think he's sleazy. That's a Cal/Drew-type move

Chilleb

« Reply #212 on: May 12, 2012, 09:50:19 PM »

They never indicated that rice was using Lavins health as leverage. They said that Lawrence himself had reservations.  The source just said rice could be hard to recruit against when the potential player is gullable

boo3

« Reply #213 on: May 12, 2012, 09:57:13 PM »
 As crazy as Rice is perceived to be, his reaction and response to that debacle in last years BE tournament ( Brownlee taking 19 steps and throwing ball into crowd) gave me a new found respect for him. 

Moose

« Reply #214 on: May 12, 2012, 10:00:01 PM »
As crazy as Rice is perceived to be, his reaction and response to that debacle in last years BE tournament ( Brownlee taking 19 steps and throwing ball into crowd) gave me a new found respect for him. 

Agreed.

But then I watched him coach games last year and the psycho returned.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #215 on: May 13, 2012, 09:00:03 AM »

Agreed. I think hes a good coach. It all depends on if the players hes got can handle his attitude.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #216 on: May 13, 2012, 09:16:01 AM »
Have heard from those who would know that Rice and his crazed sideline routine, and even some antics off the court, are rubbing the admin the wrong way.

Happy

« Reply #217 on: May 13, 2012, 09:34:31 AM »
Have heard from those who would know that Rice and his crazed sideline routine, and even some antics off the court, are rubbing the admin the wrong way.

What off the court antics?

desco80

« Reply #218 on: May 14, 2012, 12:43:49 AM »

He's crazy, but I don't think he's sleazy. That's a Cal/Drew-type move

Call me crazy, but I don't think it's a low blow to mention a rival coach's health when recruiting a player.  You don't have to have despicable intentions.
It's a fact that SJU isn't the same program without Lavin, just like UCONN is a different place without Calhoun, and Syracuse without Jimmy B.  And there's been real doubts about all their futures.  Telling a recruit to make sure he's going to the same program he thinks he is, isn't anti-ethical in my opinion at least.

Now, if you are intentionally telling a kid a lie, ... thats different.  And I think we can all agree that's a sleazy move. 
I think we're on the cusp of getting out of the woods from Lavins health in recruits minds. 
Get him on the bench in November and most recruits will be sold he's there to stay. 

paultzman

« Reply #219 on: May 17, 2012, 12:33:03 PM »
As expected, Lawrence moving up in rankings, 5 star!

“@EvanDanielscout: Jermaine Lawrence, Bobby Portis, Sindarius Thornwell and James Young made their debuts in the five-star range this time around.”