Jermaine Lawrence - PF - Cincinnati Transfer - Bayside, NY

• 1791 replies

Gumby

Re: Jermaine Lawrence - PF - Cardozo HS - Bayside, NY
« Reply #340 on: July 17, 2012, 01:35:08 PM »
The Lavin era is till new to us.  Some posters still think that having a good player at a certain position negates our chances of recruiting another good player for the same position.  Just look at the top schools, who regularly have a few good players, technically, at the same positions.  The coaches at these schools and the players tend to work it out.  Otherwise, schools like UK, Duke, KU, etc. would have highs and lows over a period of time. 

CR has mentioned, probably a million times, how Coach Lavin and other UCLA coaches had (have) routinely brought in fresh talent each year and made it work.

I am with Boo, I just want to enjoy the coming year.  I will let Coach worry about recruiting and playing the best talent in the upcoming years.

paultzman

« Reply #341 on: July 17, 2012, 01:46:26 PM »
The Lavin era is till new to us.  Some posters still think that having a good player at a certain position negates our chances of recruiting another good player for the same position.  Just look at the top schools, who regularly have a few good players, technically, at the same positions.  The coaches at these schools and the players tend to work it out.  Otherwise, schools like UK, Duke, KU, etc. would have highs and lows over a period of time. 

CR has mentioned, probably a million times, how Coach Lavin and other UCLA coaches had (have) routinely brought in fresh talent each year and made it work.

I am with Boo, I just want to enjoy the coming year.  I will let Coach worry about recruiting and playing the best talent in the upcoming years.

Relax and enjoy the season! What a novel idea! Good suggestion!

crgreen

« Reply #342 on: July 17, 2012, 03:33:32 PM »

One thing to note on the players Steve Lavin signs.  He has historically almost NEVER pursued a "one position" player.   Virtually every player he's signed has had the ability to play multiple positions.  And, more importantly, Steve has PLAYED them at multiple positions.   So concern about not landing a player at the same position in two consectutive recruiting classes due to lack of PT at a position is pretty much moot.   Best Examples I can think of off hand - Steves first recruting class had top 100 center Travis Reed (28.8 pts, 14.7 rebs 8.1 assists out of AB Miller High in Fontana, CA), even tho UCLA had forer top 20 rising Junior Center Jelani McCoy.  in the next class he landed the #1 Euro player from the Nike Hoop Summit team, Center Jerome Moiso.   AND the #1 ranked Center in high school, Dan Gadzuric.   In that same class, he brought in top 5  SF Jaron Rush, AND SF Matt Barnes (a top 50 player).  And the NEXT class he brought in top 10 SF Jason Kapono.

Of all those players, only Gadzuric played only 1 position for the Bruins (Dan COULD have played PF, but was never needed.  As an 18-21 year old, Gadz was the fastest player on the UCLA squad - a soccor and track star in high school).   Reed would play C and PF.  Moiso C and PF.  Rush SF & PF.   Barnes  SF, PF & C.  Kapono played SF, PF, SG  AND even a couple games at PG.   

If you can play, Steve Lavin will find a way to get you on the floor.   Heck, he played one of his players, Toby Bailey, significant minutes at all FIVE positions in his career.   When he left UCLA, the 6'6 Toby was the Bruins #4 all time scorer (behind only Don MacLean, Lew Alcindor & Reggie Miller), #16 all time rebounder, #7 all time Assists,  #8 All Time steals. and #13 all time Blocked shots.  The rebounding and blocks may not seem that impressive, till you realize UCLA has sent 27 centers and 19 PFs to the NBA...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 03:42:23 PM by crgreen »

ras

« Reply #343 on: July 17, 2012, 05:32:09 PM »

I dont think Lavin is worried about recruiting in upcoming years. I think he was worried about recruiting this year. So many scholis to fill and other obstacles. IE transfers and rumors of him not coming back.. Fortunately this year worked out nicely,even though it started badly .

« Reply #344 on: July 25, 2012, 10:13:28 PM »
Good to see that SJU is represented in Vegas where among others Jermaine is playing:

Jeff Borzello ‏@jeffborzello
Calhoun (and an assistant), Romar, Cooley, Fisher, Kansas, St. john's and more here for Dream Vision vs. New Heights.

paultzman

« Reply #345 on: July 27, 2012, 04:17:16 PM »
“@ebosshoops: Doesn't appear Jermaine Lawrence is here at the #Fab48 with the NY Rens. Makes it easier to focus on Kentan Facey.”

« Reply #346 on: July 27, 2012, 06:30:00 PM »
“@ebosshoops: Doesn't appear Jermaine Lawrence is here at the #Fab48 with the NY Rens. Makes it easier to focus on Kentan Facey.”

He isn't, our own Raczok is in Sin City and confirms Coach Lavin is there scouting among others McCullough but Lawrence was a no show.

paultzman

« Reply #347 on: July 31, 2012, 02:24:56 PM »
“@TheRecruitScoop: Mary Kline Classic alums Jermaine Lawrence, Wayne Selden & Rondae Jefferson selected to the Under Armour Elite 24 - http://t.co/OrYz8q6O

paultzman

« Reply #348 on: August 02, 2012, 12:48:47 PM »
“@mainestory44: On this Flight to LA for @adidasnations”

paultzman

« Reply #349 on: August 04, 2012, 02:36:56 PM »
“@JoshGershon: Jermaine Lawrence has been all over the glass so far...one offensive board after another. Motor never stops running.”

paultzman

« Reply #350 on: August 06, 2012, 11:56:40 AM »
“@mainestory44: Everybody tune in to CBS Sports to watch me play in the #adidasnation Championship game at 930 pm today!”

Assume Martin will play as well.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 11:58:58 AM by paultzman »

« Reply #351 on: August 06, 2012, 01:29:05 PM »

He isn't, our own Raczok is in Sin City and confirms Coach Lavin is there scouting among others McCullough but Lawrence was a no show.

Lawrence is strange case. His recruitment is going to shakeout oddly
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

paultzman

« Reply #352 on: August 06, 2012, 01:31:46 PM »

Is that a reflection of the involvement of his handler? His HS coach seems to be a decent guy, but not sure how influential he is in this process.

« Reply #353 on: August 06, 2012, 03:35:14 PM »
HS coach used to be an assistant under Coach Hurley at St Anthonys. Hard to say how much influence he personally has on Lawrence.

paultzman

« Reply #354 on: August 07, 2012, 01:25:22 PM »
“@NYPost_Brazille: Jermaine Lawrence lone NY'er in new Scout top 100, comes in at No. 14. Honestly, I agree with omissions of previous locals ranked #boyshoops”

« Reply #355 on: August 08, 2012, 12:04:24 AM »
“@NYPost_Brazille: Jermaine Lawrence lone NY'er in new Scout top 100, comes in at No. 14. Honestly, I agree with omissions of previous locals ranked #boyshoops”
Shows how we can't rely strictly on the local scene as we did in the past. Thank god for coach Lavin being here.

derk

« Reply #356 on: August 08, 2012, 09:05:13 AM »

Care to elaborate ? There are many elements involved. His mother loves SJU. His father might move to NC. Billy Donovan very involved. Rutgers very involved although they won't beat us out. Syracuse in the picture. He's getting more national exposure which could open his eyes wider. But all in all not very different from what any top kid has to face. So what do you mean by "oddly".

Moose

« Reply #357 on: August 08, 2012, 09:14:11 AM »

Care to elaborate ? There are many elements involved. His mother loves SJU. His father might move to NC. Billy Donovan very involved. Rutgers very involved although they won't beat us out. Syracuse in the picture. He's getting more national exposure which could open his eyes wider. But all in all not very different from what any top kid has to face. So what do you mean by "oddly".

He has family, he has his coach(es) and he has a batshit crazy handler. 
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #358 on: August 22, 2012, 11:55:46 AM »
Anyone?

“@BSnowScout: Five-star Jermaine Lawrence reflects on his summer and the current state of his recruitment http://t.co/voyTE2cD

« Reply #359 on: August 22, 2012, 12:26:11 PM »
Anyone?

“@BSnowScout: Five-star Jermaine Lawrence reflects on his summer and the current state of his recruitment http://t.co/voyTE2cD

Could be just an oversight but it is interesting that he fails to mention Rutgers even though so many people insisted they lead for his services:

“It is alright to have all of the coaches calling me,” said Lawrence. “It is really difficult right now trying to figure out which college will be right for me. It is still a process right now and I am just going with it.”

He continued, “I am hearing from Cincinnati, St. John’s, Syracuse, Florida, UNLV, West Virginia, and a lot of others.”