Jermaine Lawrence - PF - Cincinnati Transfer - Bayside, NY

• 1791 replies

Foad

Re: Jermaine Lawrence - PF - Cardozo HS - Bayside, NY
« Reply #400 on: August 28, 2012, 10:22:43 AM »
As for Cincy, Lawrence will be their Lance Stephenson.

Wouldn't Lance Stephenson have been their Lance Stephenson?

Poison

« Reply #401 on: August 28, 2012, 10:41:05 AM »
Great to hear we are involved.  Get Jakarr drafted, then slide in Lawrence.

If we keep losing our top recruits after one season, we are going to keep winning 14 games per season. Harkless should be the exception, not the rule.

SJU hiring an assistant off of a fractured staff is somehow unprecedented.

Tom Pecora is finished at Fordham after just two years because it is unlikely he will have Fordham in the NCAA's this year.

And now SJU is in deep trouble if they lose a one and done kid.

Regarding hiring an assistant off of a "fractured" staff, I don't recall what you're talking about. But I applaud your memory, and the sincere devotion you clearly give to my posts.

Yes, Pecora failed at Fordham. It is unlikely he'll have them in any tournament this season. I never said that he failed because he won't have them in the NCAAs. Take that devotion one step further, and read more carefully.

And again, I never said that we are in deep trouble because we're losing one kid. I said that if it becomes a pattern, we are going to win 14 games every year. So, to be more clear, and I'm going to ask you to read this slowly, so it sinks in, I said "Harkless should be the exception, not the rule." Do you understand what means? It means that if a kid goes pro after one year occasionally, it won't hurt us. Actually, it might even help us. That makes it the exception. If several of our top freshman leave after one year, we are in trouble.

Do you still disagree with any of this? If so, have at it super-smart Fordham guy.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 10:42:46 AM by Poison »

« Reply #402 on: August 28, 2012, 10:42:21 AM »
Right.  I was way off, I will move on.

Poison

« Reply #403 on: August 28, 2012, 10:51:16 AM »

You're welcome
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 03:07:06 PM by Poison »

sju89tr

« Reply #404 on: August 28, 2012, 10:52:56 AM »
I can't believe people are worried about recruiting, staff just pulled off their second fantastic class. We have 1 (maybe 2) ships to give. We were all over the country for the summer circuit.

I may be in the minority but I think we land one of the two in Lawrence or Martin then pull out another recruit in the mold of a role player (4 year guy)   

« Reply #405 on: August 28, 2012, 11:03:27 AM »

Your welcome

It's not mine it's yours.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 11:06:59 AM by fordham96 »

desco80

« Reply #406 on: August 28, 2012, 11:40:42 AM »
I can't believe people are worried about recruiting, staff just pulled off their second fantastic class. We have 1 (maybe 2) ships to give. We were all over the country for the summer circuit.

I may be in the minority but I think we land one of the two in Lawrence or Martin then pull out another recruit in the mold of a role player (4 year guy)

That would be perfect Ted.   And for the same reasons you mentioned, I'm not worried about recruiting either.   With so few scholarships likely to be available, the staff can zero in on one or two recruits.   We'll be fine.

« Reply #407 on: August 28, 2012, 11:43:38 AM »

If we keep losing our top recruits after one season, we are going to keep winning 14 games per season. Harkless should be the exception, not the rule.

Tom Pecora is finished at Fordham after just two years because it is unlikely he will have Fordham in the NCAA's this year.

Regarding hiring an assistant off of a "fractured" staff, I don't recall what you're talking about. But I applaud your memory, and the sincere devotion you clearly give to my posts.

Yes, Pecora failed at Fordham. It is unlikely he'll have them in any tournament this season. I never said that he failed because he won't have them in the NCAAs. Take that devotion one step further, and read more carefully.

And again, I never said that we are in deep trouble because we're losing one kid. I said that if it becomes a pattern, we are going to win 14 games every year. So, to be more clear, and I'm going to ask you to read this slowly, so it sinks in, I said "Harkless should be the exception, not the rule." Do you understand what means? It means that if a kid goes pro after one year occasionally, it won't hurt us. Actually, it might even help us. That makes it the exception. If several of our top freshman leave after one year, we are in trouble.

Do you still disagree with any of this? If so, have at it super-smart Fordham guy.

I would welcome one and done players every single year. I don't understand your logic that continually having one and done players is a bad thing. Kentucky has 2-4 every year. We have a good core group of players already. Jakarr going pro will not be the end of the world (I realize he's far from being NBA ready).

Hypothetically, if Jakarr goes pro, and we get Lawrence, and he's a one and done, making it a pattern, you're saying that this core of players will win 14 games:

Obekpa Jr.
Sir'Dom Sr.
Harrison Sr.
Branch Sr.
Bench:
Greene Sr.
Bourgault
Hooper
Jones
McCullough? Possibly continuing the trend. Plus, whoever else Lavin is able to get, and I can guarantee you he'll get some good ones.

I think we're talking a lot more than 14 wins there

paultzman

« Reply #408 on: August 28, 2012, 12:14:08 PM »
“@NYPost_Brazille: Jermaine Lawrence (18), Kentan Facey (62), Terrence Samuel (112), Hassan Martin (134) and Jon Severe (150) all in latest Rivals rankings.”

J. Martin #10, Jordan #26
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 12:15:41 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #409 on: August 28, 2012, 01:00:12 PM »
Guess Lawrence's comment that he would like to play "in a historically intense home environment" is the reason many of you feel like he will be a difficult get. Well maybe our home crowd is not a historically intense environment but maybe the streets of NYC (where you have to duck an almost daily fuselage of bullets both from perps and cops) will suffice. :)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 01:01:24 PM by Celtics11 »

Chilleb

« Reply #410 on: August 28, 2012, 02:10:23 PM »
My man severe finally in the top 150

Poison

« Reply #411 on: August 28, 2012, 03:06:29 PM »

I would welcome one and done players every single year. I don't understand your logic that continually having one and done players is a bad thing. Kentucky has 2-4 every year. We have a good core group of players already. Jakarr going pro will not be the end of the world (I realize he's far from being NBA ready).

Hypothetically, if Jakarr goes pro, and we get Lawrence, and he's a one and done, making it a pattern, you're saying that this core of players will win 14 games:

Obekpa Jr.
Sir'Dom Sr.
Harrison Sr.
Branch Sr.
Bench:
Greene Sr.
Bourgault
Hooper
Jones
McCullough? Possibly continuing the trend. Plus, whoever else Lavin is able to get, and I can guarantee you he'll get some good ones.

If we land 6 McDonald All Americans every year like Kentucky does, I would have absolutely no problem with every kid leaving for the pros every year.

« Reply #412 on: August 28, 2012, 03:22:24 PM »

Obekpa Jr.
Sir'Dom Sr.
Harrison Sr.
Branch Sr.
Bench:
Greene Sr.
Bourgault
Hooper
Jones

If we land 6 McDonald All Americans every year like Kentucky does, I would have absolutely no problem with every kid leaving for the pros every year.

I don't see the problem with getting one and done players...even if it's just one per year.

Poison

« Reply #413 on: August 28, 2012, 03:38:24 PM »

Obekpa Jr.
Sir'Dom Sr.
Harrison Sr.
Branch Sr.
Bench:
Greene Sr.
Bourgault
Hooper
Jones

I don't see the problem with getting one and done players...even if it's just one per year.

The problem is that you're going to have a lot of trouble with continuity. For programs like Kentucky and Duke, who replace Anthony Davis with Nerlens Noel, you're right it really doesn't matter.

I love Lavin, but I don't think it's ever going to be realistic to expect that kind of recruiting class every year.

desco80

« Reply #414 on: August 28, 2012, 05:16:50 PM »

Obekpa Jr.
Sir'Dom Sr.
Harrison Sr.
Branch Sr.
Bench:
Greene Sr.
Bourgault
Hooper
Jones

The problem is that you're going to have a lot of trouble with continuity. For programs like Kentucky and Duke, who replace Anthony Davis with Nerlens Noel, you're right it really doesn't matter.

I love Lavin, but I don't think it's ever going to be realistic to expect that kind of recruiting class every year.

I agree with you, we're not going to be able to recruit all-americans year in and year out.

But what would you do differently Poison?  NOT recruit guys like Lawrence and Mccullough ? 
I can't really think of a successful program in this era that doesn't deal with one and dones. 

crgreen

« Reply #415 on: August 28, 2012, 06:27:29 PM »

Obekpa Jr.
Sir'Dom Sr.
Harrison Sr.
Branch Sr.
Bench:
Greene Sr.
Bourgault
Hooper
Jones

I agree with you, we're not going to be able to recruit all-americans year in and year out.

But what would you do differently Poison?  NOT recruit guys like Lawrence and Mccullough ? 
I can't really think of a successful program in this era that doesn't deal with one and dones.

Hey, I'm happier with Obekpa than I would be with Noel (seen Nerlens only 8 times, but totally UNimpressed each time).   But that's just me.  :)

desco80

« Reply #416 on: August 29, 2012, 12:29:54 AM »

Obekpa Jr.
Sir'Dom Sr.
Harrison Sr.
Branch Sr.
Bench:
Greene Sr.
Bourgault
Hooper
Jones

Hey, I'm happier with Obekpa than I would be with Noel (seen Nerlens only 8 times, but totally UNimpressed each time).   But that's just me.  :)

Really?  That overrated huh?     Interesting.

MCNPA

« Reply #417 on: August 29, 2012, 12:42:11 AM »
Noel has some nice shotblocking skills,,but I agree he is a bit overrated.  He doesn't have much else just yet.  Certainly potential there, but there are quite a few big men that are better overall in the class.  I think obekpa is probably as good. Steve Adams of Pitt is probably the biggest stud of the group with his size and overall skill set. 

sju89tr

« Reply #418 on: August 29, 2012, 12:55:10 AM »
Noel has some nice shotblocking skills,,but I agree he is a bit overrated.  He doesn't have much else just yet.  Certainly potential there, but there are quite a few big men that are better overall in the class.  I think obekpa is probably as good. Steve Adams of Pitt is probably the biggest stud of the group with his size and overall skill set.

Definitely not Anthony Davis and that's what Kentucky fans think they are getting

LJSA

« Reply #419 on: August 29, 2012, 02:22:56 AM »
What do people here think of Hassan? If we don't lose anyone and the recruitment of Lawrence or Martin doesn't pan out, I actually don't think I'd be angry with a local semi-big that we can develop.