Jermaine Lawrence - PF - Cincinnati Transfer - Bayside, NY

• 1791 replies
Re: Jermaine Lawrence - PF - Cardozo HS - Bayside, NY
« Reply #600 on: December 30, 2012, 04:22:10 PM »
"He’s gotta learn to play hard all the time" -Tom Konchalski

This quote scares me. We are talking about adding another player to a team that already has problems playing with intensity for 40 mins. Personally, I think Lavin has to find some under tha radar kids that want to play hard. Kids with a chip on their shoulder. Lawrence seems soft to me. But look, as a program, we are in no position to turn down a top 30 talent. I just hope Lavin can get everything out of these kids because right now we are underachieving.

Guess Cinci and UNLV feel otherwise. Cuse had interest as well. It would be crazy not to pursue him.

I agree and Konchalski is right ( as usual).  Sometimes he seems really disinterested on the court.  But I'll tell ya I have seen him at times look unreal.  Like one and done unreal.  For those reasons you gotta go hard after him.  Just wish he was a better rebounder :)

Is he a poor rebounder? Or just not a great one?

Not a poor rebounder.  But not the bulk to make a rebounding difference at the big east ( or whatever we will be ) level right away.

Thanks. You'd have to think a team with JaKarr at the small forward position would be able to compete rebounding wise.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #601 on: December 30, 2012, 04:53:51 PM »
Not so fast my friend
Do remember Dom's dad was really big on U of M
If he loses more minutes due to overcrowding downlow
I would not wanna see it happen but he could bolt ?
Finish his career back home??
None the less
The biggest problem I see is we are goin after top talent and we
Are not showing any track record! ( this goes beyond lavin )
There has been a decade or more erosion of one if the richest traditional programs
In basketball history. We are still light years from being a NCAA ready team.
We still do not have a legit PG as of the moment. I hope I eat my words (In a year or less)
(But panic fills my heart like when the girl u crazy about let's you down easy after u asked her out
A la back In grade school!)
Time will tell I guess
 :-\
Branch hasnt played enough to make the statement we dont have a legit PG, hopefully he will pan out.
I did also state I hope I eat my words (In a year or less)
 :uglystupid2:
and for the record Ras You have just been Scalped! :2funny:
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 04:56:17 PM by illscalpya4000 »

« Reply #602 on: December 30, 2012, 05:10:24 PM »

This quote scares me. We are talking about adding another player to a team that already has problems playing with intensity for 40 mins. Personally, I think Lavin has to find some under tha radar kids that want to play hard. Kids with a chip on their shoulder. Lawrence seems soft to me. But look, as a program, we are in no position to turn down a top 30 talent. I just hope Lavin can get everything out of these kids because right now we are underachieving.

People said the same thing about Harkless. Hopefully as he matures as a basketball player he will learn that he always needs to keep his motor going. But I agree with you, if we miss out on him & Jordan it might not hurt to go find a workhorse type player

Poison

« Reply #603 on: December 30, 2012, 05:34:02 PM »
I'd like some toughness for next year. If you ask me, that is what we need more than anything. A guy that will come in and be willing to scrap, do the dirty work without worrying about points and touches and being cool.

We've always done well with those type of guys. Whether it's Ty Grant, Billy Singleton, or Lamont Middleton. Team players, not concerned about trying to go pro in a year. Those type of kids are out there and Lavin needs to start incorporating some into the program. Obviously you need the top talent like Jermaine as well, but you can't just build a team without guys willing to accept lesser roles.

I'd like some toughness as well. Maybe before he announces a BE game, Fran could stop by our locker room and show the team his balls?

Moose

« Reply #604 on: December 30, 2012, 09:24:44 PM »

Yeah him and the 40 of the other top 50 players suffer from the same syndrome.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Chilleb

« Reply #605 on: December 30, 2012, 09:33:44 PM »
I think it's not common that you find high motor kids out of highschool, a lot of these kids are so over talented at the highschool level they tend to cruise, a lot of guy don't develop that competitive motor till college or even the pro's so where left always critiquing that " they can be better once pushed"

SJUFAN

« Reply #606 on: December 31, 2012, 12:50:48 AM »
Moose...you want 8 guys on the roster every year?

With a pg like Jordan this team would be much improved.  Hopefully Lavin can pull it off

No.  But I'm quoted on this site and Redmen a number of times saying 10 is the magic number.  11 ships at most.  I don't see the need to give out more because unless you correctly manage everyone and their roles you will have a revolving door.  Having a Marco or Max around is great.  They have a role.  Same with Gift.  By no way do I not want Jermaine here.  But I think Dom's minutes will vanish, maybe Amir too.  As for Jordan  he would be coming to a crowded backcourt so that leads me to think Harrison might not be around.

10 guys gives you one backup at each position and barely gives you a 5v5 intrasquad scrimmage.  What happens when there is an injury or 2.  You need to use at least 12 of the schollies.  Transfers are a nature of the beast.  Only the best survive...let the others transfer if they want.  This isn't CYO this is D1 basketball. 

I don't understand your statement about a crowded backcourt either.  Right now we have two shooting guards and one point guard.  Hardly a log jam.

I have to agree there are no issues, not to mention our guards would be upper classmen. Elite programs are able to bury talent on the bench. 

Moose

« Reply #607 on: December 31, 2012, 12:52:25 AM »

With a pg like Jordan this team would be much improved.  Hopefully Lavin can pull it off

No.  But I'm quoted on this site and Redmen a number of times saying 10 is the magic number.  11 ships at most.  I don't see the need to give out more because unless you correctly manage everyone and their roles you will have a revolving door.  Having a Marco or Max around is great.  They have a role.  Same with Gift.  By no way do I not want Jermaine here.  But I think Dom's minutes will vanish, maybe Amir too.  As for Jordan  he would be coming to a crowded backcourt so that leads me to think Harrison might not be around.

10 guys gives you one backup at each position and barely gives you a 5v5 intrasquad scrimmage.  What happens when there is an injury or 2.  You need to use at least 12 of the schollies.  Transfers are a nature of the beast.  Only the best survive...let the others transfer if they want.  This isn't CYO this is D1 basketball. 

I don't understand your statement about a crowded backcourt either.  Right now we have two shooting guards and one point guard.  Hardly a log jam.

I have to agree there are no issues, not to mention our guards would be upper classmen. Elite programs are able to bury talent on the bench. 

I keep hearing how experience wins yet your willing to say the upper classmen will sit gladly on the bench or the hot shot Top 30 freshman will?  Which one?
Remember who broke the Slice news

SJUFAN

« Reply #608 on: December 31, 2012, 12:56:16 AM »
Dom and Phil for sure.  I think Harrison leaves after his junior year if he continues to improve.  Garrett is the wildcard with his baseball situation.

Where will Harrison be going? Unless he transfers, which he won't, he is a four year player. Don't be fooled by stats, his game does not translate well on the next level.

SJUFAN

« Reply #609 on: December 31, 2012, 01:18:36 AM »

I keep hearing how experience wins yet your willing to say the upper classmen will sit gladly on the bench or the hot shot Top 30 freshman will?  Which one?
Whoever deserve to sit, rankings mean nothing. If the upper classmen don't want to lose their minutes to a freshman, then they need to produce. You want the upper classmen to play the bulk of the minutes, then pass the baton when they leave. If that is not the case sure some may not be happy and transfer, so be it, such is life. I think our freshmen will get plenty of minutes because we will continue to bring in better players'. Heck even the upper classmen will under stand if they're getting their ass handed to them in practice by a freshmen then that freshmen is gonna play. Moe wouldn't have been 1 and done if he went to Cuse, he may have played 10-15 minutes a game being the fourth option. He wouldn't have even known if he was ready for the league. That's were we need to get as a program, were your talented freshmen are not a good as the upper classmen and will be willing to sit and learn from better players because at the end of the day their ultimate goal is to play for a program and coach that will get them to the next level.   

Poison

« Reply #610 on: December 31, 2012, 01:25:00 AM »
Dom and Phil for sure.  I think Harrison leaves after his junior year if he continues to improve.  Garrett is the wildcard with his baseball situation.

Where will Harrison be going? Unless he transfers, which he won't, he is a four year player. Don't be fooled by stats, his game does not translate well on the next level.

He's going to the NBA after this season along w Sampson and Obekpa.

SJUFAN

« Reply #611 on: December 31, 2012, 02:36:23 AM »

It's a free country, anyone can declare, the NBA wanting you is another issue. I don't believe Harrison would get drafted.  Obekpa second round if he's lucky. At this point outside of Sampson, who still needs alot of work, they are all four year players'.

Poison

« Reply #612 on: December 31, 2012, 10:14:46 AM »

It's a free country, anyone can declare, the NBA wanting you is another issue. I don't believe Harrison would get drafted.  Obekpa second round if he's lucky. At this point outside of Sampson, who still needs alot of work, they are all four year players'.

If you can't rebound at the college level, you can't rebound at the pro level. Yes, it's a free country. Our players have always been free to be as stupid as they like.

« Reply #613 on: December 31, 2012, 10:39:18 AM »
Poison I agree 100% that, from what I have seen thus far, no one from this team should be making the jump.  My earlier comments about Harrison are not indicative of my belief that he should leave, and I agree that based on his current skill set, he seems to be a four year guy if he wants to have a shot at the league.  From what people say on this board, they seem to think that him staying four years is not likely, even if that means playing in Europe to get paid (I wouldn't agree with that, but I don't walk in his shoes either).

Poison

« Reply #614 on: December 31, 2012, 11:43:45 AM »
Poison I agree 100% that, from what I have seen thus far, no one from this team should be making the jump.  My earlier comments about Harrison are not indicative of my belief that he should leave, and I agree that based on his current skill set, he seems to be a four year guy if he wants to have a shot at the league.  From what people say on this board, they seem to think that him staying four years is not likely, even if that means playing in Europe to get paid (I wouldn't agree with that, but I don't walk in his shoes either).

It's bad enough that the city doesn't care about SJ, but if the players don't care either, things will get very bad fast. It is rare that a college star player will bolt for no reason other than to go to Europe. It happens, but that is not a common occurance. When Jarvis was here we had several players that just couldn't wait to leave. Their reasons may have different, but it really doesn't matter if that is the trend. A freshman going pro has crippled us this year, and if it happens again, there is no reason to assume we'll be looking at anything more than another 5 win BE season. Which is where we are right now.

« Reply #615 on: December 31, 2012, 07:04:57 PM »

If that Occurs then dare I say the Lavin regime pushes us back another 2 years?
 :'(
Furthermore, someone needs to tell these guys about the Omar Cook's, and Erick Barkley's before these guys; much better players who didn't stand a chance in the NBA.
One more rant!
 Hey (Fill in the blank) puttin up 20 a game doesn't count when you are less than tourney worthy (NCAA) and barely a 2 guard (Body wise). :coolsmiley:
I might sound like a hater but it's tough love folks
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 07:16:14 PM by illscalpya4000 »

Poison

« Reply #616 on: December 31, 2012, 07:18:55 PM »

Furthermore, someone needs to tell these guys about the Omar Cook's, and Erick Barkley's before these guys; much better players who didn't stand a chance in the NBA.
One more rant!
 Hey (Fill in the blank) puttin up 20 a game doesn't count when you are less than tourney worthy (NCAA) and barely a 2 guard (Body wise). :coolsmiley:

Spot on.

SJUFAN

« Reply #617 on: December 31, 2012, 09:12:54 PM »

One more rant!

Can we get back to the topic of the thread. They are not going to the NBA, that's one posters opinion and then strangely enough, he argues against it. Has anyone heard anything about Lawrence visit?

Marillac

« Reply #618 on: December 31, 2012, 10:13:04 PM »

You're kidding right?  Harrison doesn't have the size, length, or athleticism for the league. He is an unathletic tweener. He might have a shot at being a second round pick after his senior year.  All this talk about Harrison leaving is utter nonsense.  The kid is painfully slow.  He got physically shown up by the freshman white kid from USF that will never sniff the league.  To top it off, Harrison has a very low release on his shot, and that is a big part of why he gets his shot swatted on the perimeter more than anyone you'll ever see.   

I think we'll see all of our freshmen back next year, and I would love to add Lawrence to the mix. 

« Reply #619 on: December 31, 2012, 10:41:15 PM »

You're kidding right?  Harrison doesn't have the size, length, or athleticism for the league. He is an unathletic tweener. He might have a shot at being a second round pick after his senior year.  All this talk about Harrison leaving is utter nonsense.  The kid is painfully slow.  He got physically shown up by the freshman white kid from USF that will never sniff the league.  To top it off, Harrison has a very low release on his shot, and that is a big part of why he gets his shot swatted on the perimeter more than anyone you'll ever see.   

I think we'll see all of our freshmen back next year, and I would love to add Lawrence to the mix.

Pretty sure he is being sarcastic.

It seems to me that people are getting hung up on DLo leaving because he is delusional about his NBA draft status.  No one thinks he is a lock for the NBA, probably including D'Angelo himself.  It's been mentioned here in the past that he has other priorities that would make a jump to a mid-high level European league a legitimate option as soon as next year.  I think we can agree that there's a 6 figure paycheck for him overseas somewhere and, depending on his perception of his NBA chances after his senior year and his appetite for making professional $ right now, DLo could easily leave after this year.

If DLo leaves, Rysheed is a must IMO.  If we lose only DLo, and add Jermaine AND Rysheed, I think we make that trade all day.  Obekpa - Sampson - Lawrence is an absurd front line