Jermaine Lawrence - PF - Cincinnati Transfer - Bayside, NY

• 1791 replies

desco80

Re: Jermaine Lawrence - PF - Cardozo HS - Bayside, NY
« Reply #640 on: January 08, 2013, 11:34:32 AM »
Adding both Jordan and Lawrence almost seems too good to be true.  Good fortune like that can't happen to us, can it?  ;)

« Reply #641 on: January 08, 2013, 11:38:19 AM »
“@ReggieRankin: St. John's Red Storm hoping for another late recruiting surge - ESPN http://t.co/kHKud07w

Anyone?

You’ll have to excuse St. John’s fans if they aren’t worried that Steve Lavin has at least two scholarships to give in the Class of 2013 but still no commitments to his name. Because after the 11th-hour class he pulled off a year ago, this latest challenge seems like nothing.

Thus far in 2013, St. John’s has come out empty-handed in its pursuit of ESPN 100 prospects like Jarrell Martin, Ishmail Wainright, Damian Jones and Kentan Facey, but the Red Storm have made the final cut and top three for both Jermaine Lawrence and Rysheed Jordan.

Last year, Lavin was able to go two-for-two with his top targets in Sampson and Obekpa. If he does so again this year, St. John’s will suddenly have one of the most talented young rosters on the East Coast.

The question this year, as it was a year ago, is where St. John’s will go if it's not able to get its top target. That was an answer we never had to find out a year ago. If Lavin can repeat that success a second time around, he’ll have solidified his status as one of the best second-half recruiters in the game and set St. John's up for several years of prosperity as a result.

thanks moose.

but at least 2 scholarships to give?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

DFF6

« Reply #642 on: January 09, 2013, 03:19:26 PM »
ESPN Insider with further commentary on SJU's chances picking up Lawrence and Jordan.  Interestingly, the author makes it seem almost a forgone conclusion that BOTH Sampson and Harrison are gone after this year.

"At this point last year, it did not appear St. John's would land another highly-rated recruiting class. However, the spring brought commitments from JaKarr Sampson and Chris Obekpa, and the Johnnies found themselves with another top 25-ranked group of newcomers.

ESPN's Adam Finkelstein touched on the Red Storm's 2013 recruiting efforts, noting that while Lavin and his staff may have missed on several targets, a list that includes Ish Wainwright and NYC-native Kentan Facey, but Finkelstein also mentions there are two top tier recruits who could end up wearing a SJU uniform in 2013-14. One is Rysheed Jordan, a guard who included the Johnnies in his final three and would help soften the blow if D'Angelo Harrison decides to leave Queens at the end of the season. Harrison has significantly retooled his offense within the arc, converting over 50 percent of his twos (a stark reversal from the 38.3 percent he shot in '12), and scored 15 points in the win against Cincinnati.

The other prospect, Jermaine Lawrence, has been on SJU's radar for some time, and he recently told Finkelstein that he would be comfortable pairing with Obekpa in the frontcourt. It will be interesting if Lavin and Co. manage to land commitments from either -- or both -- prospects. There is a good chance Harrison and potentially Sampson declare for the NBA draft during the spring, a move that would free up two scholarships (it is unclear whether Orlando Sanchez will officially step on the court in '13)."

« Reply #643 on: January 09, 2013, 07:54:09 PM »
Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria
.@Mainestory is considering #stjbb, Cincinnati and UNLV, with sources telling @SNYtv #stjbb is the leader

« Reply #644 on: January 09, 2013, 08:06:19 PM »
Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria
.@Mainestory is considering #stjbb, Cincinnati and UNLV, with sources telling @SNYtv #stjbb is the leader

Now we can all start saying how much we believe zags sources :P

paultzman

« Reply #645 on: January 10, 2013, 04:32:55 PM »
“@AdamZagoria: Lawrence Remains Out as Pope John Hosts Cancer Benefit http://t.co/xmp67fbG @BryceAiken @mainestory @PopeJohnBball”

paultzman

« Reply #646 on: January 10, 2013, 06:03:49 PM »
“@NYPost_Brazille: Told Jermaine Lawrence will take an unofficial to St. John's at end of month and make a decision shortly afterwards (1)”

“@NYPost_Brazille: Lawrence doesn't need an official b/c he lives so close. Also, will make a decision shortly after, likely in early February. (2)”

“@NYPost_Brazille: Also, sources say, no leader, for Jermaine Lawrence, but St. John's does have an "advantage" because it it so close by.”

“@NYPost_Brazille: Of  three schools left -- CIncy, St. John's and UNLV -- St. John's was first school to recruit Lawrence, which means a lot to family. #stjbb”

Looking good.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 06:05:34 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #647 on: January 10, 2013, 06:34:36 PM »
“@NYPost_Brazille: Told Jermaine Lawrence will take an unofficial to St. John's at end of month and make a decision shortly afterwards (1)”

“@NYPost_Brazille: Lawrence doesn't need an official b/c he lives so close. Also, will make a decision shortly after, likely in early February. (2)”

“@NYPost_Brazille: Also, sources say, no leader, for Jermaine Lawrence, but St. John's does have an "advantage" because it it so close by.”

“@NYPost_Brazille: Of  three schools left -- CIncy, St. John's and UNLV -- St. John's was first school to recruit Lawrence, which means a lot to family. #stjbb”

Looking good.

Sounds good. As always, appreciate the info paultz!

paultzman

« Reply #648 on: January 10, 2013, 06:36:54 PM »

Looking good.

Sounds good. As always, appreciate the info paultz!

My pleasure Mase.

« Reply #649 on: January 10, 2013, 10:04:37 PM »
About time for a thank you Paultzman. Thank you for the information I wouldn't find 1/2 of this in a month of looking!

DFF6

« Reply #650 on: January 10, 2013, 10:29:05 PM »
About time for a thank you Paultzman. Thank you for the information I wouldn't find 1/2 of this in a month of looking!

+10

« Reply #651 on: January 10, 2013, 10:54:35 PM »

as a guy who's just been mostly reading for the past few years, your updates are on point and much appreciated.

Chilleb

« Reply #652 on: January 11, 2013, 02:04:03 AM »
+1

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #653 on: January 11, 2013, 03:29:56 AM »

as a guy who's just been mostly reading for the past few years, your updates are on point and much appreciated.

This. Def one of my favorite posters. Thank you.

paultzman

« Reply #654 on: January 11, 2013, 08:43:49 AM »
Thanks guys. As a retired guy, this Board has been fun!

sju89tr

« Reply #655 on: January 11, 2013, 09:29:53 AM »
It would be nice for him to visit officially though so we can roll out the red carpet. I am sure Lavin does a good job when kids visit. Most kids that visit officially commit. 

« Reply #656 on: January 11, 2013, 01:30:20 PM »
It would be nice for him to visit officially though so we can roll out the red carpet. I am sure Lavin does a good job when kids visit. Most kids that visit officially commit. 

And then don't qualify!!!

derk

« Reply #657 on: January 11, 2013, 04:27:45 PM »

Ouch !. It is frustrating though

sju89tr

« Reply #658 on: January 11, 2013, 04:32:21 PM »

Yes every player, all 15 or so that Lavin brought in did not qualify  ::)

« Reply #659 on: January 11, 2013, 05:52:58 PM »
Zach Braziller ‏@NYPost_Brazille
Source says St. John's only recruiting Jermaine Lawrence and Rysheed Jordan for 2013, but Johnnies "right there" for both. #stjbb

Risky move, hope it works out