Jermaine Lawrence - PF - Cincinnati Transfer - Bayside, NY

• 1791 replies
Re: Jermaine Lawrence - PF - Cardozo HS - Bayside, NY
« Reply #700 on: January 13, 2013, 04:48:04 PM »
Has anyone here seen Jermaine play in person? Just trying to get a feel for his game other than his highlights. His iq and playmaking ability etc..

I'd appreciate any info.

Yes. Tremendous athlete and pretty good shooter.  He like many others his size thinks he is a guard though.   If we are looking for a bruising rebounder.. Then this is not that type of kid.. Alot of people I speak to question his drive for the game.. You can't turn away potential kids like this though.... That being said he completely earned his ranking by having a 2 month hot AAU stretch and I keep saying something isn't right that he hasn't played in 5 months with a wrist injury . 

Thanks happy. More of moe Harkless or JaKarr Sampson? And don't cop out and say combination of the two :p
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Happy

« Reply #701 on: January 13, 2013, 04:52:18 PM »
Has anyone here seen Jermaine play in person? Just trying to get a feel for his game other than his highlights. His iq and playmaking ability etc..

I'd appreciate any info.

Yes. Tremendous athlete and pretty good shooter.  He like many others his size thinks he is a guard though.   If we are looking for a bruising rebounder.. Then this is not that type of kid.. Alot of people I speak to question his drive for the game.. You can't turn away potential kids like this though.... That being said he completely earned his ranking by having a 2 month hot AAU stretch and I keep saying something isn't right that he hasn't played in 5 months with a wrist injury . 

Thanks happy. More of moe Harkless or JaKarr Sampson? And don't cop out and say combination of the two :p

Lol. I can't compare them at all honestly.  Lets just say he is a better shooter than Jakarr.. And not as good as a rebounder as Moe. .. He is much more Jakarr then he is Moe.  I just wish he weighed like 20 more lbs and wanted to be a mix it up inside type of player.

gman

« Reply #702 on: January 13, 2013, 05:15:18 PM »

I'd appreciate any info.

Lol. I can't compare them at all honestly.  Lets just say he is a better shooter than Jakarr.. And not as good as a rebounder as Moe. .. He is much more Jakarr then he is Moe.  I just wish he weighed like 20 more lbs and wanted to be a mix it up inside type of player.

Too many of these kids see Durant in themselves

paultzman

« Reply #703 on: January 13, 2013, 05:16:42 PM »

I'd appreciate any info.

In this case for sure.

« Reply #704 on: January 13, 2013, 05:22:46 PM »

I'd appreciate any info.

In this case for sure.

Well lets hope he rebounds like Durant did in college

« Reply #705 on: January 13, 2013, 05:23:55 PM »

I'd appreciate any info.

I hear ya. We need some beef for sure. Lets hope JaKarr and Chris add on some muscle this off season.

MCNPA

« Reply #706 on: January 13, 2013, 05:25:37 PM »
Regardless, we need this kid.  Skilled 6'10 kids don't grow on trees.  Lawrence next to Jakarr will be very, veery hard to guard in the Big East.  Lawrence is frankly far more of a wing than Pointer and Amir and has offensive skills that those kids don't have, which is what we need.  We will have an improved Obekpa as well as Gift next year who can score inside better than some might remember. 

« Reply #707 on: January 13, 2013, 05:45:04 PM »
Just to get ahead of ourselves...1) Branch, 2) D'Lo, 3) Sampson/Lawrence 4) Sampson/Lawrence 5) Obekpa. Would be pretty nice if all goes as planned. Being as it is St. John's we're talking about, it's not likely to go as planned lol

« Reply #708 on: January 13, 2013, 07:04:17 PM »
Just to get ahead of ourselves...1) Branch, 2) D'Lo, 3) Sampson/Lawrence 4) Sampson/Lawrence 5) Obekpa. Would be pretty nice if all goes as planned. Being as it is St. John's we're talking about, it's not likely to go as planned lol

With that lineup and gift Amir Dom Greene Felix off bench, no more excuses. Dangelo leaving really changes things

Happy

« Reply #709 on: January 13, 2013, 07:05:35 PM »

With that lineup and gift Amir Dom Greene Felix off bench, no more excuses. Dangelo leaving really changes things

Who rebounds on that team?

MCNPA

« Reply #710 on: January 13, 2013, 07:09:27 PM »

What, 4-5 players 6'8" to 6'10" not enough?  Our guys have boarded much better since the Nova game.  We can board.  It's about desire and that is all.  Jakarr can board.  So can jermaine, Gift and Obekpa is getting there...  I don't think boarding will be the biggest issue.  Even this season, we could be a lot better on the boards than we are.

« Reply #711 on: January 13, 2013, 07:10:09 PM »

Gift plays 20 mpg. Obekpa and jakarr improve in offseason after learning the hard way

« Reply #712 on: January 13, 2013, 07:11:17 PM »

What, 4-5 players 6'8" to 6'10" not enough?  Our guys have boarded much better since the Nova game.  We can board.  It's about desire and that is all.  Jakarr can board.  So can jermaine, Gift and Obekpa is getting there...  I don't think boarding will be the biggest issue.  Even this season, we could be a lot better on the boards than we are.

Absolutely. It's about being in position and effort. Staff has to stress it

Happy

« Reply #713 on: January 13, 2013, 07:15:44 PM »

We rebound better?  Maybe so but we get slaughtered every game in that department.  We had 1 offensive rebound in a half of basketball against Georgetown.   Who cares how tall our team is.. Those tall players are all rail thin and the desire to rebound is even worse.  Hopefully that changes with a year of weights and better coaching..

« Reply #714 on: January 13, 2013, 07:19:06 PM »

We rebound better?  Maybe so but we get slaughtered every game in that department.  We had 1 offensive rebound in a half of basketball against Georgetown.   Who cares how tall our team is.. Those tall players are all rail thin and the desire to rebound is even worse.  Hopefully that changes with a year of weights and better coaching..

Jakarr and Lawrence (assuming we get him) need to lift weights and beef up.

Marillac

« Reply #715 on: January 13, 2013, 08:19:43 PM »

Gift plays 20 mpg. Obekpa and jakarr improve in offseason after learning the hard way

Gift isn't playing 20 mpg next year.  Seriously, this notion that Gift is a difference maker is absurd.  He's a safety net for a team that is expected to be top 20 next season.  It'd be a shame to not advance because of an injury or foul trouble up front.  That is what Gift was redshirted to prevent.  8-12 solid hard hat-wearing minutes and I am a happy guy. 

« Reply #716 on: January 13, 2013, 08:26:15 PM »

Gift isn't playing 20 mpg next year.  Seriously, this notion that Gift is a difference maker is absurd.  He's a safety net for a team that is expected to be top 20 next season.  It'd be a shame to not advance because of an injury or foul trouble up front.  That is what Gift was redshirted to prevent.  8-12 solid hard hat-wearing minutes and I am a happy guy.

He's a backup big guy who fills an important need on this team especially against certain opponents.  Maybe 20 min is too much court time but he will play out of necessity. If he rebounds and plays good post d he will take minutes from Amir and Dom

« Reply #717 on: January 13, 2013, 11:31:23 PM »
Why aren't we throwing a Ship at PF DJ Coleman he's only the 3rd Best player in NY?
Could take Chris Jones minutes????

Happy

« Reply #718 on: January 13, 2013, 11:40:34 PM »
Why aren't we throwing a Ship at PF DJ Coleman he's only the 3rd Best player in NY?
Could take Chris Jones minutes????

Who is DJ Coleman ?

crgreen

« Reply #719 on: January 14, 2013, 12:45:13 AM »

Overlooked in our strugggles - Obekpa's first 8 games he averaged 4.5 rebs per game.   His last 8 games, he's averaged 8.0.    Jakarr started out good at 6.5 rebs per game in his first 7.  The last 9 games that's up to 7.8.  BOTH are going to be bigger AND stronger as sophs than as frosh.   Amir and Gift will both be 5-6 board guys WITHOUT improvement - which likely WILL come.  And we WILL add a big in the spring, if Sanchez is truly gone.