Jermaine Lawrence - PF - Cincinnati Transfer - Bayside, NY

• 1791 replies

paultzman

Re: Jermaine Lawrence - PF - Cardozo HS - Bayside, NY
« Reply #1020 on: February 01, 2013, 08:57:45 AM »
Should we not land Jermaine and Jordan, next year's recruiting, stating the obvious, is huge. Assuming we keep everyone here for next year, we will have a contending squad IMO, but our vulnerability going forward will be considerable. Who would be shocked if CO, JS, and D'Lo left after next season? Filling that void,with even solid freshmen, would still put us in yet another transitional year. I have great confidence in staff. That said, I look forward to the day we have a more manageable recruiting scheme to ensure we are consistently competitive on a national basis. No "doomed" responses desired! Ha! Let's get Lawrence and I won't be the Board's "Nervous Nellie"!

« Reply #1021 on: February 01, 2013, 09:32:56 AM »
think he is that old hockey analyst on MSG.  The guy with the beard.

He used to post on Redmen and BEB. Very combative poster(I met him and liked him and his son for what it is worth)he was connected to HS and college basketball. I haven't seen him in a few years, but he was usually correct on his "predictions" or "exclusives" as he used to call them. If I was laying money I say Lawrence is going to Cincy.

sju89tr

« Reply #1022 on: February 01, 2013, 09:33:34 AM »
Should we not land Jermaine and Jordan, next year's recruiting, stating the obvious, is huge. Assuming we keep everyone here for next year, we will have a contending squad IMO, but our vulnerability going forward will be considerable. Who would be shocked if CO, JS, and D'Lo left after next season? Filling that void,with even solid freshmen, would still put us in yet another transitional year. I have great confidence in staff. That said, I look forward to the day we have a more manageable recruiting scheme to ensure we are consistently competitive on a national basis. No "doomed" responses desired! Ha! Let's get Lawrence and I won't be the Board's "Nervous Nellie"!

It's definitely a tough situation, got to land Lawrence and Jordan would be gravy. If you have ships for Sanchez, Marco, Gift, Dee, Sampson, and possibly Obekpa for 2014 we are in big trouble considering how we have recruited the 2014 class and with Branch, Greene, Pointer, and Garrett the following year that is 10 ships to give for 2014 and 2015. 

« Reply #1023 on: February 01, 2013, 09:38:19 AM »

at this point, im expecting to land neither jermaine nor jordan.  but actually do not think that's a horrible outcome.  if we brought in either or both, id assume that we'd see a meaningful departure (Amir? Phil?).  i also want to see felix get more minutes next year - he appears to have tremendous upside.  plus gift is back. 

reverse jinx complete.

sju89tr

« Reply #1024 on: February 01, 2013, 09:41:05 AM »

at this point, im expecting to land neither jermaine nor jordan.  but actually do not think that's a horrible outcome.  if we brought in either or both, id assume that we'd see a meaningful departure (Amir? Phil?).  i also want to see felix get more minutes next year - he appears to have tremendous upside.  plus gift is back. 

reverse jinx complete.

I don't see a transfer of one of our rotation guys for next year. I can see Marco or Jones leaving. Felix I believe is happy at St Johns playing with Obekpa so he won't leave.

I would be pretty upset if Amir left as I believe his best basketball will come as a junior and senior.

« Reply #1025 on: February 01, 2013, 09:45:48 AM »
Also Naclerio has nothing to do with Lawrence's recruitment. Good, bad, or otherwise he holds zero weight.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #1026 on: February 01, 2013, 09:45:58 AM »
but where do amir and phil stand if we bring in jermaine and jordan?

my point was, for next season, amir + phil are arguably more valuable than jermaine and jordan assuming everyone else stays.  so losing out on these recruits actually is not that bad provided the staff takes care of 2014 and beyond

derk

« Reply #1027 on: February 01, 2013, 09:47:25 AM »
I'll summarize what I've heard from a source to a family member. I posted a week or so ago. This still holds.

JL has a slight lean toward Cincy
Family and handlers are pushing us
JL LOVED Vegas but mom squashed that real quick.
Lavin postponed this recent visit.

« Reply #1028 on: February 01, 2013, 09:56:26 AM »
Btw, who announces on Super Bowl Sunday?   Even if it is your birthday, that's still a little strange.   

And Lavin doesn't seem to be worrying, so I'll trust his judgement.  Remember, he came right out and said a few weeks ago that we may not sign anyone.   Either he thinks we'll land Jermaine/Rhyseed, or he's not worried about filling that last scholarship.

Why should he be worried?  He's got Sir Dom for two more years.  Jordan or Lawrence are nuts not to sign up to play on the same team with Sir Dom.

May have sounded silly over the summer, but your right.  The kid jumps in the ditch and digs all day.  An elite athlete who is willing to defend, rebound and fight.  A scorers dream teammate

« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 09:57:36 AM by MaineQB »

paultzman

« Reply #1029 on: February 01, 2013, 09:58:35 AM »
Also Naclerio has nothing to do with Lawrence's recruitment. Good, bad, or otherwise he holds zero weight.

That's been obvious for some time. A couple of months ago RN told me he had not spoken to JL since he left Cardoza.

« Reply #1030 on: February 01, 2013, 10:02:46 AM »
Ok. So I heard it was Lavin who asked the kid to postpone the visit. Don't know why. Don't know about the game.

And your source was?

Why ask him for his source?
If he could share it I would think he would have said so and so told me.........
Besides most people with information don't say who their source is because the source most likely won't get or give information if they are outed.

who needs bad information?  without the source, the information has proven more often than not to be worthless.

« Reply #1031 on: February 01, 2013, 10:03:41 AM »
I'll summarize what I've heard from a source to a family member. I posted a week or so ago. This still holds.

No doubt what you heard is accurate, but it conflicts with what others have said about JL/his family wanting St. John's, and the handlers pushing Cincy.

« Reply #1032 on: February 01, 2013, 10:05:45 AM »
Also I still believe that D-Lo will be here 4 years refining his game, as it gives him the best shot at making the league IMO.  And unless Obekpa improves massively on his low post defense and overall offensive game, he isn't going anywhere after the 2014 season either.

If this staff has shown anything, it is that they know how to recruit.  I think that we'll be fine re: the 2014 class at the end of the day (maybe its a mix of JUCO's and frosh, and don't forget transfers).

« Reply #1033 on: February 01, 2013, 10:10:37 AM »
SJU79 - any further observations on the situation?

Moose

« Reply #1034 on: February 01, 2013, 10:10:50 AM »
Ok. So I heard it was Lavin who asked the kid to postpone the visit. Don't know why. Don't know about the game.

And your source was?

Why ask him for his source?
If he could share it I would think he would have said so and so told me.........
Besides most people with information don't say who their source is because the source most likely won't get or give information if they are outed.

who needs bad information?  without the source, the information has proven more often than not to be worthless.

You worked in news.  We've been thru this a number of times.  The internet and message boards are NOT the news your familiar with.  You had to tell you editor your source right?  Just so they knew and were comfortable.  You didn't publish who it was but still needed to vet it.  Thats not the case here. and thats all I'm saying.  If I posted who told me stuff I would never get information again.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Moose

« Reply #1035 on: February 01, 2013, 10:13:18 AM »

No doubt what you heard is accurate, but it conflicts with what others have said about JL/his family wanting St. John's, and the handlers pushing Cincy.

Correct.  The handlers are NOT pushing STJ by any means.  Anyone who says otherwise is wrong.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #1036 on: February 01, 2013, 10:14:13 AM »
What I heard  last night
1) Mom wants SJU....period
2) This kid is all kinds if confused and he himself has no clue what to do
3) Dont know who started this Feb 3rd thing and it might happen but havent heard ANYTHING about it from people that would know
4) Coaches want this kid but dont feel hes the MUST get that Jakkar and Chris were for whatever reason
By all accounts hes a good kid and sort of a symbol of todays recruiting world with everybody having there own agenda with him. I wish him piece of mind where ever he ends up.

Poison

« Reply #1037 on: February 01, 2013, 10:17:20 AM »

Cincinnati would make me raise an eyebrow. There's money if he's going there.

« Reply #1038 on: February 01, 2013, 10:23:48 AM »
does anyone think that maybe, just maybe, Maven is trying to stir the pot just to get attention? i don't know the guy personally but have followed his posts for years.  seems like the type of guy who just needs the attention. 

and with his recent tweet, we've all fallen into his trap...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 10:24:08 AM by redmen4life »

sju89tr

« Reply #1039 on: February 01, 2013, 10:34:36 AM »
does anyone think that maybe, just maybe, Maven is trying to stir the pot just to get attention? i don't know the guy personally but have followed his posts for years.  seems like the type of guy who just needs the attention. 

and with his recent tweet, we've all fallen into his trap...

I under no circumstance think he posted that to get attention. He posted what someone told him. He has many sources and friends. Whether what was told him is accurate is another story. I wouldn't be shocked if he is right. I hope he is wrong on this one but I have always trusted what he has shared with posters at redmen.com and now on twitter.