Jermaine Lawrence - PF - Cincinnati Transfer - Bayside, NY

• 1791 replies

paultzman

Re: Jermaine Lawrence - PF - Cardozo HS - Bayside, NY - CINCINNATI
« Reply #1540 on: May 13, 2014, 02:42:34 PM »
Fwiw;
@TheBBallDiary: Manhattan College is a potential landing spot for Jermaine Lawrence.

Still like our chances.

boo3

« Reply #1541 on: May 13, 2014, 03:46:14 PM »
Zach Braziller ‏@NYPost_Brazille  1m
Steve Lavin and Hofstra's Speedy Claxton have reached out to Jermaine Lawrence camp per source, no visits set yet.

SJUFAN

« Reply #1542 on: May 13, 2014, 03:46:35 PM »
No, it won't.  Nothing will.

I don't have a problem with the on the court criticism's. It's the posters actually saying Lavin's recruiting ability should be questioned. We will always get recruits under Lavin. That is not the problem.

I see our recruiting for the 2014 class as a problem so far.   But Jermaine Lawrence presents a unique oppertunity.
So far though, this is Lavin's worst recruiting class since he's been a head coach. 
If he signs Diallo and Briscoe, then it will look like a small bump on an otherwise solid recruiting history.   If we strike out on those two, it's time for concern.   

Some reason I think staff new of this possibility (Lawrence transferring) for a while and may have contributed to their recruiting approach for the 2014 class.
This Cincinnati blog thinks that it's all about JL wanting to play SF, and Cronin and staff telling him he's a power forward.

"The nub of the issue would appear to be about the position that Lawrence was playing for the Bearcats. In his heart of hearts it seems that Lawrence views himself as a small forward, and wants to play as a small forward. The staff sees him as a power forward and wants him to develop in that direction. It would appear that Jermaine is convinced that he is the next Kevin Durant, and will do his best to go somewhere that will let him try to be the next KD. That's ultimately what this is about."

http://www.downthedrive.com/2014/5/9/5701628/a-different-take-on-the-jermaine-lawrence-transfer

Good for the kid. If he's wants to develop the skills to play the 3 then he needs to play at a program that will allow that. He may be better suited for the 4 spot in college but his dream is to play at the next level and he needs to develop that skill set. We have plenty of minutes at the 3 spot. Sometimes these coaches are only looking out for their own interests. Didn't Mack Brown want Johnny football to play safty? It would be different if he didn't have the ability to play the position, but he clearly does.

DFF6

« Reply #1543 on: May 13, 2014, 03:56:10 PM »
Steve Lavin and Hofstra's Speedy Claxton have reached out to Jermaine Lawrence camp per source, no visits set yet.

Big fan of Speedy's, but NFW should we lose out to Hofstra. 

sju89tr

« Reply #1544 on: May 13, 2014, 04:12:05 PM »

LOL

Big fan of Speedy's, but NFW should we lose out to Hofstra. 

« Reply #1545 on: May 13, 2014, 04:23:30 PM »
If he stays local, I don't think we lose him.  If we don't get him, it is because we back off due to the same issues with the handler that apparently surfaced last time.  I didn't fault coach for that last go-round, and won't do it again if this plays out that way.

boo3

« Reply #1546 on: May 13, 2014, 05:01:13 PM »
Watch out for Iona.  ( hurts me to say it)

Marillac

« Reply #1547 on: May 13, 2014, 05:43:24 PM »

Too late...Baldi already knocked him for being linked to St. John's.  The basketball gods will never allow for such a reversal. 

« Reply #1548 on: May 13, 2014, 06:00:48 PM »

Too late...Baldi already knocked him for being linked to St. John's.  The basketball gods will never allow for such a reversal. 

If the kid wants the rock, light it up, run like a mofo... He knows where it's at. Grasso is on him
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 06:01:23 PM by Marco Baldi »

ras

« Reply #1549 on: May 13, 2014, 06:19:36 PM »
 The thing I always wondered about in 13 was we had 0 scholis. Garrett left the team to make room for Jorden. If Lawrence would have popped for us then where was the extra scholi coming from? We don't have that problem now we have plenty. I can't understand why a 5 star recruit would want to play for a mid major. I think we get him.c

« Reply #1550 on: May 13, 2014, 06:24:59 PM »
The thing I always wondered about in 13 was we had 0 scholis. Garrett left the team to make room for Jorden. If Lawrence would have popped for us then where was the extra scholi coming from? We don't have that problem now we have plenty. I can't understand why a 5 star recruit would want to play for a mid major. I think we get him.c

Lawrence popped in the Fall of 2012.  By the time Jordan committed in the spring of 2013 Lawrence was long gone.

SJUFAN

« Reply #1551 on: May 13, 2014, 06:26:42 PM »

If the kid wants the rock, light it up, run like a mofo... He knows where it's at. Grasso is on him

Fortunately for SJU, he wants to play for a program where he can be seen.

gman

« Reply #1552 on: May 13, 2014, 06:26:44 PM »

They are all set. They just landed a transfer from powerhouse Longwood.

« Reply #1553 on: May 13, 2014, 06:31:19 PM »
FYI-Zach B has changed his tune a bit on Jermaine to SJU.  Before it was seemingly a "no way" now he is saying:

Joseph ‏@jcoggs17  · 26m 
@NYPost_Brazille is sju going to get j lawerence

Zach Braziller ‏@NYPost_Brazille  · 24m 
@jcoggs17 maybe

paultzman

« Reply #1554 on: May 13, 2014, 06:38:26 PM »
Moose just pointed out to me that Claxton  at Hofstra is a "Special Assistant" not an AC. Thus he should not be reaching out to anyone. Probably bad info.  Still feeling good about getting JL.

DFF6

« Reply #1555 on: May 13, 2014, 06:41:10 PM »
Moose just pointed out to me that Claxton  at Hofstra is a "Special Assistant" not an AC. Thus he should not be reaching out to anyone. Probably bad info.  Still feeling good about getting JL.

Hey Paultz, are you Moose's spokesperson now?  Is he living in Henry Hill's old house in the witness protection program these days? 

paultzman

« Reply #1556 on: May 13, 2014, 06:56:00 PM »

Hey Paultz, are you Moose's spokesperson now?  Is he living in Henry Hill's old house in the witness protection program these days? 

living in Silicon Valley after initiating hugely successful tech start up, "Doomed Enterprises".

uwsfan

« Reply #1557 on: May 13, 2014, 07:10:57 PM »

If he can play right away due to family illness, there is 0 % chance he chooses Iona or Manhattan. It wouldnt make sense. There isnt any other reason a 5 star top 30 guy chooses that level. If he is allowed to play immediately then no MAAC team has a shot. Minus that scenario Its really between SJU and SH. And i think the Johnnies would be the clear favorite between the two..........after all there are only so many coaches Willard can hire.

« Reply #1558 on: May 13, 2014, 07:13:22 PM »

I think Speedy probably has been at least temporarily "deputized" as a full time assistant considering Hofstra currently only has 2 full time assistants because they never replaced Kyle Neptune who left for Villanova shortly after following Mihalich from Niagara to Hofstra.

That is my guess.  It is a common practice for recruiting purposes IF you are missing a "full time" assistant.

paultzman

« Reply #1559 on: May 13, 2014, 07:16:20 PM »

I think Speedy probably has been at least temporarily "deputized" as a full time assistant considering Hofstra currently only has 2 full time assistants because they never replaced Kyle Neptune who left for Villanova shortly after following Mihalich from Niagara to Hofstra.

That is my guess.  It is a common practice for recruiting purposes IF you are missing a "full time" assistant.

Makes sense.