Darrick Wood - SG - Palm Beach CC - Alexandria, VA - DEPAUL

• 915 replies

NYCoffey

Lots of new names popping up.

- Darrick Wood is working on ball-handling and getting stronger this summer. Since we last spoke with Wood in late May (EYBL in Los Angeles) he’s added the following offers: Oklahoma State, Penn State, Washington and Washington State. Those are in addition to the ones Wood already held from Louisville, Pittsburgh, St. John’s and Miami. He hopes to be able to visit USC sometime in August.

http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2011-0729/2011-desert-duel-memorial-final-day-recap-nj-playaz-storm-back-for-title/

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/127664/darrick-wood
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 05:57:28 PM by kjd01067 »

Re: Darrick Wood-SF-NIA Prep
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 01:10:53 PM »
He isn't good enough to play Big East. He's a really nice player but he's a mid major guy.

He needs to put on size because any time he goes up against stronger guards he struggles mightily. He kind of reminds me of Larry Wright a little bit.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: Darrick Wood-SG-NIA Prep
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 12:13:26 AM »
Per ESPN Recruiting....

Darrick Wood (Washington D.C./Nia Prep)
2012, SG, 6-4, 175 pounds
Wood is a very athletic wing who plays above the rim on the break and is big-time shooter in the half-court set. He can hit the open 3 or midrange pull-up with great elevation on his jumper. He gets to the rim and scores through or around defenders with length and body control. He competes and is also a capable defender due to his length, athletic ability and toughness. Wood can get it going quickly and is fun to watch.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/story/_/id/6815577/melvin-johnson-highlights-desert-duel

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 02:53:42 PM »
So basically he's Kelvin Amayo w/ a jump shot.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 02:56:50 PM by peter »

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 09:11:52 PM »

Amayo is more physical, bulkier guard. Wood is skinny and bouncy.

I like Wood, a lot, but I think he'd be much better in A-10 than Big East.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 01:40:48 PM »

Amayo is more physical, bulkier guard. Wood is skinny and bouncy.

I like Wood, a lot, but I think he'd be much better in A-10 than Big East.
That was as in, not a Big East level player! Not the game.

Telep seems to think he's got some Jeremy Lamb in him; the other scribes keep mentioning him as one of St. John's targets. Maybe the staff see a player they can develop who won't need a lot of time early...

munch

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 09:54:49 PM »
This guy is from DC he has been playing.g against high level kids since 8th grade and always had that it factor and this guy is one of them......  When he's on the floor good thing happen.  If you think loading up on five stars is gonna  work  good luck with that....  Only 2 coaches can pull that off consistantly..eld his own.  S  I think he will suprise a lot of poeple with his desire....

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 10:26:03 PM »
This guy is from DC he has been playing.g against high level kids since 8th grade and always had that it factor and this guy is one of them......  When he's on the floor good thing happen.  If you think loading up on five stars is gonna  work  good luck with that....  Only 2 coaches can pull that off consistantly..eld his own.  S  I think he will suprise a lot of poeple with his desire....

This is a great post. I heard he played awesome in Vegas

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 10:10:29 AM »

This is a great post. I heard he played awesome in Vegas

Great post, but you still disagree with him and think he shouldnt be in the big east.

Where are all those 5 star players weve been loading up on? I think we only have 1 five star player (norvelle pelle) according to one of the 3 sites i checked. Out of 10 recruits.

MCNPA

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »
I have no problem with a guy like Wood as our last ship.  He seems like a very good athlete and I believe a pretty good shooter too.  In all honesty though, if we are not going for a top 100 guy, I'd really prefer to take a chance on some unknown big man with some potential.  Some extra size would be great. 

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 11:17:59 AM »
Assuming 1 more commit in fall, (and all 10 here next month)
I would rather save 13th for next spring and/or 2013.

Only take 2 more in fall if from KA, Jevon, Amile or Katin.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 11:24:17 AM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

munch

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 07:13:29 PM »
High  profile guys leave early, don't you think paving is preparing for that. It's a must you have quality at every spot even if you guys don't see it......    With a staff of NBA coaches they see something. In this kid you can't possibly see.....   Can't boast about the staff then not trust them......   Tks

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 07:37:13 PM »
High  profile guys leave early, don't you think paving is preparing for that. It's a must you have quality at every spot even if you guys don't see it......    With a staff of NBA coaches they see something. In this kid you can't possibly see.....   Can't boast about the staff then not trust them......   Tks

Wood is comparable to Reinhardt in rankings in addition to other SJU players.  He actually is a legit top 100 recruit on many boards.

For the record I believe Reinhardt is the target for the 2 spot with Wood behind him at this point.  At least this is what I hear.

Moose

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 09:36:00 PM »

Wood is comparable to Reinhardt in rankings in addition to other SJU players.  He actually is a legit top 100 recruit on many boards.

For the record I believe Reinhardt is the target for the 2 spot with Wood behind him at this point.  At least this is what I hear.

What is Wood ranked?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 10:02:25 PM »
111 on rivals and way low on the sg list on scout with a 3star ranking. I'm intrigued by him though
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 10:20:19 PM »

Wood is not top 100 on Rivals, Scout or ESPN.

We dont need another 2. Unless a top 50 player only take a PG or ctr
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 10:25:33 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

munch

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 05:39:58 AM »
The top 100 2g u refer hasn't played nearly the level of player wood has, from the wcac players in dc with team takeover who has been with for 4 years or the ny/nj kids in prep school, the is8 against grown men and the eybl where he's gaurded ledo, calhoun, and purvis and held them down nicely under there averages and got the wins in all cases.  So please be careful with these rankings,  west coast is down across the board and for a guy to make it from nowhere show his determination........   Jimmy salmons snatched him for the Nj playaz for a reason......    I'm just sayin.....

Moose

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2011, 07:34:42 AM »
The top 100 2g u refer hasn't played nearly the level of player wood has, from the wcac players in dc with team takeover who has been with for 4 years or the ny/nj kids in prep school, the is8 against grown men and the eybl where he's gaurded ledo, calhoun, and purvis and held them down nicely under there averages and got the wins in all cases.  So please be careful with these rankings,  west coast is down across the board and for a guy to make it from nowhere show his determination........   Jimmy salmons snatched him for the Nj playaz for a reason......    I'm just sayin.....

So based on the results you pointed out, he should be moving up the rankings soon, no?

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2011, 08:17:42 AM »

I think it could make sense for St. John's but I do think Wood would thrive more so in a lower tiered conference. First time I saw Wood play he stood out but more I saw him play I saw that he struggled in physical games.

Moose

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2011, 08:24:40 AM »

I think it could make sense for St. John's but I do think Wood would thrive more so in a lower tiered conference. First time I saw Wood play he stood out but more I saw him play I saw that he struggled in physical games.

A kid like Wood has a decision to make.  Does he go to a school at lower level where he is the focal point? Or does he go to school like STJ where he is last scholarship player and with A LOT of highly ranked guys? He might get chance to play a lot at STJ junior year but is it worth the wait for him?