Darrick Wood - SG - Palm Beach CC - Alexandria, VA - DEPAUL

• 915 replies

MCNPA

Re: Darrick Wood-SG-NIA Prep
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2011, 08:26:36 AM »
The top 100 2g u refer hasn't played nearly the level of player wood has, from the wcac players in dc with team takeover who has been with for 4 years or the ny/nj kids in prep school, the is8 against grown men and the eybl where he's gaurded ledo, calhoun, and purvis and held them down nicely under there averages and got the wins in all cases.  So please be careful with these rankings,  west coast is down across the board and for a guy to make it from nowhere show his determination........   Jimmy salmons snatched him for the Nj playaz for a reason......    I'm just sayin.....

He sounds like a good player.  Haven't seen enough of him.  Reinhardt plays against very good competition out west too.  Reinhardt dropped 28pts on Austin Rivers last year, and his AAU team plays good comp. as well.  To say he doesn't play near the same competition isn't really true.  It's part of that old east coast vs west coast idea, but western players have lots of good comp.

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2011, 08:47:04 AM »
High  profile guys leave early, don't you think paving is preparing for that. It's a must you have quality at every spot even if you guys don't see it......    With a staff of NBA coaches they see something. In this kid you can't possibly see.....   Can't boast about the staff then not trust them......   Tks

Wood is comparable to Reinhardt in rankings in addition to other SJU players.  He actually is a legit top 100 recruit on many boards.

Wood is not top 100 on Rivals, Scout or ESPN.

We dont need another 2. Unless a top 50 player only take a PG or ctr

Couple of things, I was mistaken about the top 100 (although I believe when they are revised he will appear in a number of top 100 rankings).

The overall point was Reinhardt is a good player but is not considered a drop dead top 10 future NBA player.  That was the overall point.

And lastly Katin is not being recruited as a back up plan to a point guard.

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2011, 08:50:33 AM »
I, remember seeing Wood during the Peach Jam.  He's a pretty decent player, but he wasn't one who thought we would recruit.  He had a pretty good game against The Family and another team (the name slips me now).

I guess he's someone the staff wanna keep their eye on, in case his game continues to improve or Reinhardt doesn't matriculate. 

munch

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2011, 01:07:44 PM »
Great point indeed Moose, that is a very legit question the kid has to ask himself, and by no means he isnt the only one that has to ask that question to themselves.  The thing with St Johns and the kids they choose is going to be getting them to believe in the red storm again, how long will the love fest with Lavin continue, its year 2, will it be the same in year 8 only the kids know, but for a region that produces quality ballplayers it makes sense to take a kid from the DMV, from a recruiting standpoint....... 

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2011, 01:41:10 PM »
Great point indeed Moose, that is a very legit question the kid has to ask himself, and by no means he isnt the only one that has to ask that question to themselves.  The thing with St Johns and the kids they choose is going to be getting them to believe in the red storm again, how long will the love fest with Lavin continue, its year 2, will it be the same in year 8 only the kids know, but for a region that produces quality ballplayers it makes sense to take a kid from the DMV, from a recruiting standpoint....... 

You are aware that HS kids aren't allowed to have agents before going college, right? 

MCNPA

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2011, 01:50:59 PM »

You are aware that HS kids aren't allowed to have agents before going college, right?

lol  ;D

Gumby

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2011, 06:51:08 PM »
From reading the most recent posts on Darrick, I get the impression that his potential impact with us in the BE is not clear. We seem to be focused on higher level players right now.

I also am not sure that taking him just because he represents the DC area may be a good idea.   If he becomes disillusioned with his playing time (or lack there of) and leaves after a year, what have we accomplished?

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2011, 09:46:05 PM »
Getting into that DC or DMV area would be a great look. WCAC is the best high school league in the country. Gonzaga, Dematha, St. Paul VI, Mcnamara, St. John's College, O'Connell...it's loaded.

Lavin recruits where he has relationships as do all college coaches.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Moose

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2011, 09:56:43 PM »
Getting into that DC or DMV area would be a great look. WCAC is the best high school league in the country. Gonzaga, Dematha, St. Paul VI, Mcnamara, St. John's College, O'Connell...it's loaded.

Lavin recruits where he has relationships as do all college coaches.

Rico's neck of the woods.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2011, 09:51:39 PM »
Per Alex Kline....

Virginia Tech, St. John's, Penn State, Seton Hall, USF, Oklahoma State & USC comprise the top 7 of Darrick Wood '12 of NIA Prep (NJ).

https://twitter.com/#!/TheRecruitScoop/status/103180141160697856

« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2011, 01:18:51 PM »
Visiting stjbb today per zags.

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2011, 04:57:13 PM »
According to MSG's Jon Rothstein on twitter:

Word is 2012 NIA Prep shooting guard Darrick Wood has verbally committed to Steve Lavin + St. John's.....

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2011, 05:03:44 PM »
Wow...really?

I guess they really feel something will open up by year's end OR maybe they think he is that good.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 05:05:24 PM by jumpinjohnny »
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

gman

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2011, 05:05:58 PM »
So that leaves us with 1 ship left?  I wonder if this means the staff thinks Nuri is a one and done.  Hopefully we have a 4th ship open up for Amile. 

If true you can't argue with taken a commitment from a top 125 kid.  The staff must really like something in him because they can be selective with their offers at this point.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 05:06:46 PM by gman »

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2011, 05:12:50 PM »
Now just waiting for Kyle Anderson to come here a month from today and we'll be ready to roll

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2011, 05:19:00 PM »
For those wondering if this impacts Kyle, Zach Braziller of the NY Post tweeted:

Source tells me Darrick Wood in no way a package deal regarding Kyle Anderson. "we like him with or without Kyle." #stjbb

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2011, 05:23:02 PM »
Wood is can shoot, he can really throw it down for a guy his size, and his area that needs most improvement is his physical strength. I think he's a good guy to develop. He was one of my sleepers back in April from the Pitt Jam Fest of guys that would break out this summer. I honestly thought Big East would be a stretch for him but this could be a good fit for him to have time to develop. Also he's on the NJ Playaz with Kyle Anderson....it's a good look.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

MCNPA

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2011, 05:23:56 PM »
For those wondering if this impacts Kyle, Zach Braziller of the NY Post tweeted:

Source tells me Darrick Wood in no way a package deal regarding Kyle Anderson. "we like him with or without Kyle." #stjbb

Good to know.  We can use players like him anyway.  He's rated quite well and apparently can score and is athletic. 
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 05:30:18 PM by MCNPA »

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2011, 05:24:47 PM »

MCNPA

« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2011, 05:25:45 PM »
Wow, he committed today???