Darrick Wood - SG - Palm Beach CC - Alexandria, VA - DEPAUL

• 915 replies
Re: Darrick Wood-SG-NIA Prep-Washington, DC-ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2011, 05:51:15 PM »
Defintely don't like the NIA prep thing.

But seems like this kid had a breakout summer. Also someone mentioned that with Lavin and staff watching so many of Kyle's games, they got a great look at this kid and must have been impressed. I can see this kid being a 4 year player that keeps getting better and by Jr/Sr year is playing important minutes for us.

Maybe a Chudney Grey type?

MCNPA

Re: Darrick Wood - SG - NIA Prep - Washington, DC - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2011, 05:51:49 PM »
With all the NIA Prep problems...will he transfer to another school so he can qualify?

Maybe you mean qualitize? ;D

Use that word one more time and you will  be banned for 1 year!  :knuppel2:   ;)

Lets ban Baldi.  He started it.

Actually, the QEA coach started it.  He was quoted using that term.

MCNPA

« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2011, 05:52:32 PM »
Defintely don't like the NIA prep thing.

But seems like this kid had a breakout summer. Also someone mentioned that with Lavin and staff watching so many of Kyle's games, they got a great look at this kid and must have been impressed. I can see this kid being a 4 year player that keeps getting better and by Jr/Sr year is playing important minutes for us.

Maybe a Chudney Grey type?

I'm guessing that he won't be at NIA this coming season, so I doubt it will be an issue.  Hopefully Nepsac somewhere.  Maybe Salisbury is a good fit... ;)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 05:53:05 PM by MCNPA »

« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2011, 05:53:58 PM »
According to Scout and Rivals he had offers from West Virginia, Georgetown, and Baylor

I believe Seton Hall offered, as well.

« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2011, 05:57:17 PM »
According to Scout and Rivals he had offers from West Virginia, Georgetown, and Baylor

I believe Seton Hall offered, as well.

Speaking of Seton Hall. they received a commitment from a juco kid that even SHU fans haven't heard of.. Fans i talk to have said Willard is becoming very Norm like in his recruiting process.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 07:25:03 PM by jumpinjohnny »

« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2011, 05:58:29 PM »
I don't think its a coincidence that he had offers from STJ, Seton Hall, and Georgetown given that all three of those schools were glued to Kyle all summer and had watched all of Wood's AAU games. 

MCNPA

« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2011, 06:00:29 PM »
Yeah, but he's "only" ranked 111th... ;)  Aaah, gone are the days when a kid ranked 111th would be our best recruit.  I believe DJ Kennedy was ranked somewhere around there.

« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2011, 06:22:43 PM »
That video showed some good things. Hes obviously athletic and he looks long as well. Should fit in well with the rest of the recruits. Lets hope he goes to a nice prep school and begins to add some muscle.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

MCNPA

« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2011, 06:35:04 PM »
That video showed some good things. Hes obviously athletic and he looks long as well. Should fit in well with the rest of the recruits. Lets hope he goes to a nice prep school and begins to add some muscle.

I've heard he's an excellent shooter and scorer which I love.    Can never have too many guys that can fill it up.  SJU has had a lot of years with guys that couldn't find the net.  Seems like his only real negative right now is that he's rail thin.  That's no biggie.  Just needs to bulk up a bit, and can put on plenty of pounds over the next year.

Here's ESPN on him:

"This guy has the ability to put the ball in the net, period. Has an arsenal from the perimeter that includes a mid-range pull-up and he can play behind the 3-point line. Will go to the fadeaway as needed to get his shot off and is comfortable off the catch."

« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2011, 07:12:00 PM »
Think Larry Wright with a better inside game.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

MCNPA

« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2011, 07:24:23 PM »
Think Larry Wright with a better inside game.

Thanks Dave.  He looks like a taller version of Larry Wright, with more handle as well.  Kid made 5 treys in one half this recent AAU season per Zags article.  Can't go wrong, especially if it helps with Kyle.  A role player with this kid's athleticism and scoring ability is great.

« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2011, 07:25:41 PM »
Yeah, but he's "only" ranked 111th... ;)  Aaah, gone are the days when a kid ranked 111th would be our best recruit.  I believe DJ Kennedy was ranked somewhere around there.

Prepstars has him at 82
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2011, 07:32:30 PM »

« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2011, 07:43:59 PM »
Added Kyle Anderson Sr., head coach of the Playaz 17s: “Darrick played like a Big East player in July. He showed his athleticism and shooting ability. He was a big reason the team won the Desert Duel. I think he will fit in well with Coach Lavin’s offensive and defensive schemes.”

http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/08/20/darrick-wood-to-st-johns/#more-56416

« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2011, 08:01:05 PM »
I was feeling good about Kyle coming to STJ and his teammate coming aboard can only help. Sept. 20 can't come soon enough.

« Reply #75 on: August 20, 2011, 08:01:34 PM »
How can we take this stud when we already have a commitment from another stud Ricardo Gathers-they both wear #35! LOL :) :) :)

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #76 on: August 20, 2011, 09:00:06 PM »
Call me spoiled, but I'm not a huge fan of this signing. At about this time 2 years ago I would have raved about it, but my how times have changed. This leaves us one scholarship that hopefully KA will take. Does this mean if Anderson commits that we won't have room for Amile Jefferson? I've been seeing Nurideen in a lot of 2012 NBA mock drafts, so I guess maybe if he leaves that'll open up another scholarship...

MCNPA

« Reply #77 on: August 20, 2011, 09:16:44 PM »
Call me spoiled, but I'm not a huge fan of this signing. At about this time 2 years ago I would have raved about it, but my how times have changed. This leaves us one scholarship that hopefully KA will take. Does this mean if Anderson commits that we won't have room for Amile Jefferson? I've been seeing Nurideen in a lot of 2012 NBA mock drafts, so I guess maybe if he leaves that'll open up another scholarship...

I have a gut feeling that Nuri is one and out.  Even if he's not an NBA'er, he can probably make good dollars in Europe if the reports of his game are relatively accurate.  Woods is a good signing.  We need players that are going to be around and we need guys like this that can really score.  As somebody said, we can't just fill 1-13 with All Americans.  Even Duke, UNC and other top teams have guys on the bench that aren't top ranked out of Hs.  Louisville's Kuric was not ranked highly out of HS.  I have no problem with this signing.  I might have preferred a big man we can bring along, but this is fine for me, especially if it helps with Anderson.

« Reply #78 on: August 20, 2011, 09:31:48 PM »
They were targeting Wood or Reinhardt.  Neither had/has an impact on Kyle or Jefferson.

« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2011, 09:44:06 PM »
They were targeting Wood or Reinhardt.  Neither had/has an impact on Kyle or Jefferson.

Fordham, can you explain further.  How do you see the scholly situation playing out.  Thanks.