Darrick Wood - SG - Palm Beach CC - Alexandria, VA - DEPAUL

• 915 replies

Poison

Re: Darrick Wood - SG - NIA Prep - Washington, DC - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #80 on: August 20, 2011, 10:11:27 PM »
Crickets

« Reply #81 on: August 20, 2011, 10:21:38 PM »
They were targeting Wood or Reinhardt.  Neither had/has an impact on Kyle or Jefferson.

Fordham, can you explain further.  How do you see the scholly situation playing out.  Thanks.

Careful you are going to make Moose mad with that scholarship count stuff!  ;D
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Moose

Remember who broke the Slice news

Moose

« Reply #83 on: August 20, 2011, 10:37:38 PM »
How can we take this stud when we already have a commitment from another stud Ricardo Gathers-they both wear #35! LOL :) :) :)

I've seen Ricardo wear like 8 different numbers :)

« Reply #84 on: August 20, 2011, 10:58:07 PM »
will not get much playing time, role/practice player. wi  transfer after sophomore year

Wods317

« Reply #85 on: August 20, 2011, 10:58:39 PM »
A team needs role players and with all the top talent we are landing a lot of guys are going to be playing 2 years and then leaving so its not a bad thing that we have a guy we can develop and have for all 4 years. Also if KA and Jefferson want to come here a scholarship will open up for them we all know that.

Moose

« Reply #86 on: August 20, 2011, 10:59:41 PM »
will not get much playing time, role/practice player. wi  transfer after sophomore year

Ha

Whats the lotto numbers tomorrow also?

« Reply #87 on: August 20, 2011, 11:09:05 PM »
dont know lotto numbers, but this is a simple numbers game. with the level of talent that this program is currently bringing in and the talent level they will be bringing in for the future unfortunately these type of ranked players just will not get enough playing time to their liking. All these kids come into college thinking they are impact players who will be in the NBA or over seas. Just not realistic, so they get alienated and eventually leave. That is the trend. Look at Poolle. He got spooked at the level of talent that will be coming in. Bottom line. SJU fans will have to face it that Lavin in the next 4 years (if he stays) will be a juggernaut on the national recruiting scene.

Moose

« Reply #88 on: August 20, 2011, 11:34:11 PM »
dont know lotto numbers, but this is a simple numbers game. with the level of talent that this program is currently bringing in and the talent level they will be bringing in for the future unfortunately these type of ranked players just will not get enough playing time to their liking. All these kids come into college thinking they are impact players who will be in the NBA or over seas. Just not realistic, so they get alienated and eventually leave. That is the trend. Look at Poolle. He got spooked at the level of talent that will be coming in. Bottom line. SJU fans will have to face it that Lavin in the next 4 years (if he stays) will be a juggernaut on the national recruiting scene.

Polee wasn't spooked.  His dad was nuts and wanted him to leave.  I posted a few weeks ago when Wood first appeared on the scene that some kids have to decide if they want to be a role player on a good team like the team we're building.  Looks like he made that decision.

« Reply #89 on: August 20, 2011, 11:36:59 PM »
Polee would have stayed at St. John's if was up to him. He was cool with whatever. His Dad thought he should be the man. Polee couldn't dribble, didn't have a position, and refused to go to the weight room. He could have impacted the game in a positive way but you'll forget about him soon enough.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #90 on: August 20, 2011, 11:37:35 PM »
It's in play.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

LJSA

« Reply #91 on: August 20, 2011, 11:38:35 PM »
Look at Poolle. He got spooked at the level of talent that will be coming in.

Even if that were true, Wood already knows who's here, and he wasn't spooked.

Bottom line. SJU fans will have to face it that Lavin in the next 4 years (if he stays) will be a juggernaut on the national recruiting scene.

If Lavin stays? He's not going anywhere.

munch

« Reply #92 on: August 20, 2011, 11:49:19 PM »
Wood has accepted the challenge, bottom line... Respect that so, he will come in and work hard to get better, and contribute immediately, don't say I didn't telll you so..........   Go storm!

gman

« Reply #93 on: August 21, 2011, 12:26:32 AM »

What a jerk post.

« Reply #94 on: August 21, 2011, 12:43:58 AM »
ESPN's National Recruiting Director Paul Biancardi described Wood as "a shooting guard with good size, athletic ability and a terrific stroke from 3-point distance.

"(Head Coach) Steve Lavin continues to bring in players that will fill the needs of his program," Biancardi added. "Wood makes shots �in the half court set which is vital to what St. John's is trying to execute in�Big East play. �In league play teams just beat each other up and know each other so well. Wood can open the floor and make life easy for his teammates to score."

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/onthetrail

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

ris

« Reply #95 on: August 21, 2011, 01:55:18 AM »
I will be the first to say it:

Welcome, Darrick!!

kob24

« Reply #96 on: August 21, 2011, 02:06:27 AM »
ok from what i hear. he can go either way he can be a star at the mid level or a hell of a late bloomer at the high major level. they told me he reminds them of john starks.  lav has nothing to lose. if the kid pans out he looks like a genious if he doesnt he still gave a kid a chance. ive seen him one time and i am not upset or mad. welcome young man. work hard i hear u have the potential to be a pro lets see it.

« Reply #97 on: August 21, 2011, 02:14:59 AM »
ok from what i hear. he can go either way he can be a star at the mid level or a hell of a late bloomer at the high major level. they told me he reminds them of john starks.  lav has nothing to lose. if the kid pans out he looks like a genious if he doesnt he still gave a kid a chance. ive seen him one time and i am not upset or mad. welcome young man. work hard i hear u have the potential to be a pro lets see it.

This is pretty fair assessment. I didn't think of the Starks comparison but yea that is a good one.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #98 on: August 21, 2011, 03:21:51 AM »
Welcome!  Something looks unusual with his dunking...does he have like freakishly long arms or something?  It just seems effortless.

MCNPA

« Reply #99 on: August 21, 2011, 07:27:58 AM »
Welcome!  Something looks unusual with his dunking...does he have like freakishly long arms or something?  It just seems effortless.

He's real athletic and does have long arms and big hands.  Controls the ball well.  I think it's a real solid pickup.  I love kids who embrace the challenge.  These are program kids and he very well might be able to help get us a NC.   He is buying into the team and family atmosphere and that is fantastic.  There will be guys that leave early and this kid has enough skills and athleticism that he will get PT and have a good 4 years here.  When we are filling the second half of our roster with a kid ranked anywhere from the 80's-111 we are doing very well.  Welcome aboard Darrick.  Love his attitude.  He fits in perfectly.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 07:37:05 AM by MCNPA »