Carlos Morris - SG - Chipola CC - Jacksonville, FL - MINNESOTA

• 131 replies
Re: Carlos Morris - SG - Arlington Country Day - Jacksonville, FL
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2012, 11:25:44 PM »
I'm just curious if ras finds it surprising that Laving knows something the rest of us don't.  That's his job.  Of course he knows something we don't.  Silly statement.  I'm sure Lavin is disappointed in not getting Ricardo or Sheppard but I'm also sure there are other prospects that he and the staff covet and will close the deal on.  They might not end up being top 50 guys like some of the guys that have been lost but I trust them to fill out the roster with a good mix of quality and depth and do all possible to address the most obvious and pressing need of post defense and rebounding.
You can call it a silly statement. But Pelle,Sampson,Woods,Gathers, Jevon decommted { or didnt qualify }and Polee and Nuri transferred. and we have 0 recruits signed from 2012 class. That is not what I call momentum.

You have an accurate handle on the situation (imo), and nobody is fooling you.

+1

This program is in big recruiting trouble right now in regard to their 2012 class.  Can it change for the better in regard to the SJU 2012 basketball recruiting class?  Yes, there's still hope but that remains to be seen.

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2012, 11:28:39 PM »
I'm just curious if ras finds it surprising that Laving knows something the rest of us don't.  That's his job.  Of course he knows something we don't.  Silly statement.  I'm sure Lavin is disappointed in not getting Ricardo or Sheppard but I'm also sure there are other prospects that he and the staff covet and will close the deal on.  They might not end up being top 50 guys like some of the guys that have been lost but I trust them to fill out the roster with a good mix of quality and depth and do all possible to address the most obvious and pressing need of post defense and rebounding.
You can call it a silly statement. But Pelle,Sampson,Woods,Gathers, Jevon decommted { or didnt qualify }and Polee and Nuri transferred. and we have 0 recruits signed from 2012 class. That is not what I call momentum.

+1

This program is in big recruiting trouble right now in regard to their 2012 class.  Can it change for the better in regard to the SJU 2012 basketball recruiting class?  Yes, there's still hope but that remains to be seen.

Because your behind the scenes and know what our staff is up to?

LJSA

« Reply #42 on: February 29, 2012, 12:05:40 AM »
Can it change for the better in regard to the SJU 2012 basketball recruiting class?  Yes, there's still hope but that remains to be seen.

That looks like you are hedging your bets. Starting to worry that Lavin may pull it off?

« Reply #43 on: February 29, 2012, 12:08:21 AM »
LAst post for awhile, headed away but wanted to say this...

Not jail I hope :)

Marillac

« Reply #44 on: February 29, 2012, 02:18:24 AM »
This kid is just what the doctor ordered.  Coaching carousel keep on turnin...Lavin doubters will be burnin...recruitin...recruitin...recruitin past the Hudson River.

« Reply #45 on: February 29, 2012, 12:26:11 PM »
Actually I was beeing sarcastic w the Lavin must know something we dont, because publically the recruiting hasnt looked good.For all I know, Lavin could have silent  verbals from Obekpa and Sanchez, And CR get well and hope your UCLA team ends up OK after tomorows article.

And my point was that most recruiting isn't done in public so what we know is, in my opinion, immaterial.  I'm disappointed in some individual situations as we all are.  I'm just waiting to see how it all plays out in the end.  I'm also of the opinion that with the soph 6 plus GG back recruiting only two serviceable big men, frosh or JUCO, who provide inside D and rebounding will help this team make a big leap next year.  I'm pretty sure that will happen and hopeful for more like the kid for which this thread was started.

« Reply #46 on: February 29, 2012, 02:04:50 PM »
@AdamZagoria Xavier & St. John's are looking at 6-5 Arlington Country Day SG Carlos Morris, coach Rex Morgan told @SNYtv

paultzman

« Reply #47 on: February 29, 2012, 02:14:41 PM »
Did Rex Morgan play w Artis Gilmore at Jacksonville?

gman

« Reply #48 on: February 29, 2012, 02:24:07 PM »
Sounds like he had a 6'9" teammate that has committed to have the big east but is currently uncommitted. Wonder if the staff is keeping tabs

« Reply #49 on: February 29, 2012, 02:25:46 PM »

+1

I await your posts when your hope of a better 2012 recruiting class better than what it is now comes to fruition and you "see" it - Lapchick1 - You've won the role of 'Doubting Thomas" in the St. John's Basketball Resurrection play, coming soon to a theatre near you.

Isn't it tiring of spewing out the same disbelief over and over and over, all in the hopes of your recruiting armageddon actually coming true, Chicken Little?  Your SchadenFreude-istic ways get tiresome.  Express concern - yes, it's valid, but the constant harping?  You now have me rooting for Lavs harder just so I can feed you a big, heaping, bowl of crow come April signing of LOIs.  And then, as the old saying goes, you can eat me too (not in a liny89 kinda way, just the old school figurative schoolyard talkin' smack kinda way -  :2funny: )
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 02:27:27 PM by bball purist »

MCNPA

« Reply #50 on: February 29, 2012, 02:26:43 PM »

+1

We can't go from being in "big trouble" to things changing for the better.  This class is still a work in progress and all the pieces are not together yet.  Just because YOU can't name names of the guys that are going to be on board doesn't mean we're in big trouble.  It just means you really have no idea who or what Lavin is going to come up with just yet.  If April signing period comes and we don't have 3-5 more good players, then one can really state what type of trouble we're in.  Until then, it's just an incomplete recruiting class.

ras

« Reply #51 on: February 29, 2012, 03:19:23 PM »
Ive said this  over and over. Publicly we look like we are in trouble recruiting wise. But looks could be decieving.

Happy

« Reply #52 on: February 29, 2012, 03:25:16 PM »
Ive said this  over and over. Publicly we look like we are in trouble recruiting wise. But looks could be decieving.

Congrats.. your post reads like a fortune cookie. :D

« Reply #53 on: February 29, 2012, 03:44:14 PM »
I have to think coach will bring in some good kids in.  Everyone is just speculating about who is are isn't coming, the program is in capable hands and the team has real talent.   

« Reply #54 on: February 29, 2012, 05:21:05 PM »
Like SJU79 said there is a lot of recruiting stuff that isn't out there. Morris is one of those guys. He's an athletic uptempo player, very physical, and has some real good skills. He plays with Torian Graham who has more hype surrounding him but Morris is the true gem of that team. A really good unsigned player right now who is attractive due to his athletic ability and upside.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

DFF6

« Reply #55 on: February 29, 2012, 06:13:10 PM »
The more I read about Morris, the better he sounds.  Apparently, USC was pushing to land him late last year before he committed to South Carolina.  He's a real good shooter with better than average athletism at 6'5.  Sounds like a real diamond in the rough.  Land him and a decent big along with Branch, and I think we're in really good shape.

« Reply #56 on: February 29, 2012, 06:44:50 PM »
This kid seems to have offensive potential which is something we need. Plus hes got a nice build and seems athletic. Our most glaring weaknesses are our size, shooting, and depth. Carlos helps fix both our shooting and depth issues.

PS in the zags article his coach is quoted as saying he is going to visit both us and xavier. I feel pretty confident that if Lav can get him for a visit he will lock him up.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #57 on: February 29, 2012, 07:55:52 PM »
DFF, I think the USC that you refer to IS Univ of South Carolina.  They area also called USC.

crgreen

« Reply #58 on: February 29, 2012, 10:45:36 PM »
FYI a story on his recruiting over at Scout quotes his coach as saying dure to injuries, Morris has been playing PG for them the last few games.

DFF6

« Reply #59 on: February 29, 2012, 11:34:57 PM »
DFF, I think the USC that you refer to IS Univ of South Carolina.  They area also called USC.

LOL!  Thanks.  Can't believe I missed that one!   :uglystupid2: