Adonis DelaRosa - C - Christ The King - New York, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 730 replies
@NextUpRecruits: 6'11 C Adonis Delarosa 2014 of Christ The King (NY) has picked up interest from Miami, Memphis, Florida state, St. John's, ND, WFU, & Tenn.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 06:43:56 PM by jumpinjohnny »

Moose

Re: Adonis DelaRosa - C - Christ The King - New York, NY
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 11:48:50 AM »
Uhhhhh
Remember who broke the Slice news

desco80

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 11:56:12 AM »
Uhhhhh

Not a fan Moose?   I don't know anything about him..

paultzman

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 11:59:57 AM »
Very heavy big with good hands, but a project for sure. Doubt we are considering him.

Tiznow

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 11:16:03 PM »
Very heavy big with good hands, but a project for sure. Doubt we are considering him.

Very heavy big is something we have not seen with this coaching staff.  What does Konchalski say about this kid?

Chilleb

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 05:23:43 AM »

Very heavy big is something we have not seen with this coaching staff.  What does Konchalski say about this kid?

Lazy

kob24

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 08:39:20 AM »
Heeeelllllll nnnnnnnooooooo

Foad

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 09:22:47 AM »

Six ten, 260? Has he murdered anyone? If not, hell yes. Travion Leonard ate our lunch this year. And probably everyone else's. A big fat dope is exactly what this team needs. Georgetown's offered, Pitt's going to. Sold. I'd rather have Sean Muto II than another wing.

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 10:01:10 AM »
There are actually big guys who can play.

Foad

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 10:19:39 AM »
There are actually big guys who can play.

PM me when we get one.

Moose

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 11:37:37 AM »

Six ten, 260? Has he murdered anyone? If not, hell yes. Travion Leonard ate our lunch this year. And probably everyone else's. A big fat dope is exactly what this team needs. Georgetown's offered, Pitt's going to. Sold. I'd rather have Sean Muto II than another wing.

Travion Leonard?
He had 8 pts and 4 boards.
Canty was the frontcourt player who killed us for Fordham

And Teague on Seton Hall.  But DeLa Rosa is nowhere near Teague.

desco80

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2013, 06:14:18 PM »

Travion Leonard?

There's a pretty long list of front court players who had one of their best games of the season against us.
Remember Jefferson from Baylor?  (20 pts 14reb)
Canty (15/16)
Teague (22/5)
Lubbick (16/10)
Rudd (18/11)
Yarou dropped 18 in the BE tourny game

I'm not saying I want this guy.  I admittedly don't know enough.  In general though, I'm a big fan of having one behemoth on the roster, because there are always a handful of matchups where they're needed. 
And, if you draw a team with two bigs in the 1st round of the NCAAs you could be shit out of luck if your roster isn't well rounded.     
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 06:24:38 PM by desco80 »

Moose

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 06:45:55 PM »

Travion Leonard?

There's a pretty long list of front court players who had one of their best games of the season against us.
Canty (15/16)
Teague (22/5)
Lubbick (16/10)
Rudd (18/11)

I'm not saying I want this guy.  I admittedly don't know enough.  In general though, I'm a big fan of having one behemoth on the roster, because there are always a handful of matchups where they're needed. 
And, if you draw a team with two bigs in the 1st round of the NCAAs you could be shit out of luck if your roster isn't well rounded.     

Problem is a behemoth is one thing.  Outside of Teague those names you mentioned aren't that.  Lubbick was a top recruit.  Canty is crafty.  Rudd is explosive and plays more outside than in. 

I'm all for a space eater.  But its not Adonis.

desco80

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2013, 07:13:36 PM »
No, I probably used the wrong word.  I think Fun wants the behemoth, aircraft carrier, type kid.   I'd be fine with a 7 foot project.  Doesn't necessarily have to be wide.

And you're right about some of those guys are just well built power forwards.   I'm hoping Sanchez helps with the low post defense, and Obekpa comes back stronger. 

Moose

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2013, 07:22:40 PM »
No, I probably used the wrong word.  I think Fun wants the behemoth, aircraft carrier, type kid.   I'd be fine with a 7 foot project.  Doesn't necessarily have to be wide.

And you're right about some of those guys are just well built power forwards.   I'm hoping Sanchez helps with the low post defense, and Obekpa comes back stronger. 

You want another Coker?

crgreen

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2013, 07:22:43 PM »

Travion Leonard?

Canty (15/16)
Teague (22/5)
Lubbick (16/10)
Rudd (18/11)

You mean the guy that scored 25 on Texas?  25 on Kansas?  23 on Iowa?  26 on Providence?  21 on Arizona State (they had the #2 shot blocker in D1-  7'0 265 Jordan Baschynnski).    :)

Seriously tho, I agree.  Absolutely NO reason not to invest your 12th or 13th ride into a project big.   Worst case scenario, you get 5 fouls to give off the bench at the center spot for 4 years.   Best case, they develop over time and turn into a contributor.  Very rarely, they become an integral part of something great.

Center X:  7'0, 255

1992:  3.9 mins, 1.1 pts, 1.1 rebs, 38% FG, 50% FTs.
1993:  9.0 mins, 2.4 pts, 1.7 rebs, 42% FG, 71% FTs.
1994   24.6 mins, 11.1 pts, 7.0 rebs, 52% FG, 76% FTs
1995   23.4 mins, 10.6 pts, 5.4 rebs, 56% FG, 73% FTs

George Zidek.   1995 Anchored the NCAA Championship Team (Shut Down Bryant "Big Country" Reeves of OK State, Travis Knight of UCONN, and Erik Dampier of Miss. State in the tourney title run).  1st round Pick Charlotte Hornets.   

Kid was BLASTED for two years by "fans" as an absolute waste of a scholarship.

Sometimes they don't produce at all - but hey - they gave your starters someone to work against in practice.  You can't teach "big".

Center Y (a JC Transfer):

7-4, 295 lbs

Jr. 1981, 8.9 mins, 2.1 pts, 2.6 rebs, 46%FG, 29% FT, 2.1 blocks
Sr.1982, 3.9 mins, 1.3 pts, 2.0 rebs, 42% FG, 80% FTs, 1.5 blocks.

Sometimes coaches are just absolutely stupid.  THIS guys coach refused to play him because "smaller centers would take advantage of him with their speed and quickness".

At at time when Abdul-Jabbar, Ewing, Hakeem, Ralph Sampson, David Robinson, Artis Gilmore and Robert Parish were in the NBA,   THIS guy managed to overcome his college coach's stupidity - to the point of being named 1st or 2nd team All NBA defensive Center  5 times, NBA Defensive Player of the Year Twice, and end his career as the #1 shot blocker in NBA history.  Not bad for a 3.9 minute per game, 18 times "DNP-Coaches Decision" his senior year "waste of a scholarship" guy.   If any one hasn't guessed, those are Mark Eaton's accomplishments.

Valuable to have, but man - you gotta be smart enuf to USE them when the matchups are right.    Eaton's senior "Per 36" in blocked shots, playing all 33 games that year would have been... 457 blocks.    I kid you not.   

Obviously he wasn't going to get Nearly THAT many (but his JUNIOR year "per 36" at the 34 games that season would have been 288 - and he had ACTUALLY blocked 170 as a JC Soph!).  But how in the world does a kid blocking a shot almost every 2 minutes he's on the court get less than 4 minutes a game??

Wow - weird tanget with the meds kicking in....

Back to the original thought.    Rice lost their two bigs to transfer last year.   6'8 Arslen Kazemi was arguably Oregon's  best player in their NCAA tourney run this year.   But Rice also lost 7'1 JUNIOR Omar Oraby, who was immediately eligible at U$C with 2 years eligibility.   Oraby only played 14 minutes a game, as USC already HAD a 7'0 starting center in Dwayne Dedmond.   In those 14, Oraby put up 7 pts and 4 rebs, and shot 61% from the filed.   Doesn't take a math genius to figure a 28 minute Oraby might get you 14/8, and an inside scoring presence (61%???) we were lacking all year.    And even if he doesn't earn a starting spot - man that is one club you want to have in your bag when the situation rises (my dad always carried a 3 1/2 wood - never saw him use it on the links. He said a either 3 or a 4 was usually the right choice - but that you never known when the lie is going to make that 3 1/2 the right choice - and it does you no good if it's not in your bag.....
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 07:27:25 PM by crgreen »

Moose

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2013, 07:33:26 PM »
Man CR and his tangents ;)

I am all for taking risks but I don't know if we are there with scholarship distribution yet.

paultzman

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2013, 07:35:09 PM »
Flat out Adonis is not an "Adonis" and not worth considering.

Moose

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2013, 07:42:14 PM »

There is an irony there, eh?

paultzman

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2013, 07:43:16 PM »

There is an irony there, eh?

Sharp guy Moose.