Adonis DelaRosa - C - Christ The King - New York, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 730 replies

paultzman

Re: Adonis DelaRosa - C - Christ The King - New York, NY
« Reply #100 on: July 25, 2013, 12:40:36 PM »
“@phillipshoops: St. John's head coach Steve Lavin caught the 8 am NY Rens win over Houston Hoopstars. 2014 C Adonis Delarosa showed some upside. #Super64”

DFF6

« Reply #101 on: July 25, 2013, 12:56:55 PM »
“@phillipshoops: St. John's head coach Steve Lavin caught the 8 am NY Rens win over Houston Hoopstars. 2014 C Adonis Delarosa showed some upside. #Super64”

Must kill you to post these updates.  ;)

« Reply #102 on: July 25, 2013, 01:02:09 PM »
Just not that many bigs in 2014. Going to need a spacer eater with GG, Sanchez, and most likely Sampson gone.

Delarosa is a safe bet who could pay dividends down the road.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

paultzman

« Reply #103 on: July 25, 2013, 01:03:12 PM »

Must kill you to post these updates.  ;)

Ha! No, I actually pull for this kid to get in shape. I just saw an article about a Minnesota big who recently lost a ton of weight under pressure from Richard Pitino. If we get him, maybe we can do the same and I can eat some crow. Won't be the first time! Ha!

« Reply #104 on: July 25, 2013, 04:39:56 PM »
We always have Michael Chandler to fall back on..... again

paultzman

« Reply #105 on: July 26, 2013, 03:41:21 PM »
Adonis Delarosa -- 2014 -- C -- New York Rens 6'10" -- Christ the King H.S. -- New York, NY A massive presence in the post, Delarosa showed solid hands and good touch around the basket in the Rens morning win over Houston Hoopstars. Delarosa still needs to get into better game condition, but when he's able to establish his presence in the post he's tough to move on both ends. Delarosa protects and rebounds his area on defense and had a lot of positive post touches that drew fouls or double teams. - See more at: http://ny2lasports.com/article_one.aspx?articleid=1494#sthash.jxJUlNKj.HNmJShac.dpuf

« Reply #106 on: August 18, 2013, 09:31:30 PM »
Outside of Adonis, are there any additional bigs we are in the mix for?

« Reply #107 on: August 19, 2013, 01:20:24 AM »

We've been mentioned with Goodluck & Pascal Chukwu but I dont know how deep the interest is

MCNPA

« Reply #108 on: August 19, 2013, 02:17:07 AM »
Maybe it's me, but while Delarosa might seem like a bit of a reach to some,  he does have some good qualities.  Very good hands, positioning and size.  Certainly not a guy I'd take as our only big in this class, but maybe a project worth the 10th-13th man because you cant teach his size and decent skill set. 

SJU's Ed Brown is a kid who I thought really had a lot of talent.  He just never had the drive nor the coaches that could get the most out of him.  Ed Brown had great footwork and soft hands though, and I think could have been excellent had he had the right coaches early.  Delarosa isn't that much different.  We still need to land some studs, but I'm not against grabbing a kid like Delarosa if the staff feels he is worth tryinng to mold into a player at this level.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 02:17:35 AM by MCNPA »

crgreen

« Reply #109 on: August 19, 2013, 06:51:42 AM »

We've been mentioned with Goodluck & Pascal Chukwu but I dont know how deep the interest is
We also reportedly have an offer out to 6'9 235 Ray Kasongo, the Canadian big.

paultzman

« Reply #110 on: August 19, 2013, 10:39:26 AM »

We also reportedly have an offer out to 6'9 235 Ray Kasongo, the Canadian big.

“@HoopsHypeCA: Ray Kasongo hasn't named official finalists, but they are LSU, Oregon, and Florida State. #CdnBallers”

SJUFAN

« Reply #111 on: August 19, 2013, 12:32:15 PM »
Maybe it's me, but while Delarosa might seem like a bit of a reach to some,  he does have some good qualities.  Very good hands, positioning and size.  Certainly not a guy I'd take as our only big in this class, but maybe a project worth the 10th-13th man because you cant teach his size and decent skill set. 

SJU's Ed Brown is a kid who I thought really had a lot of talent.  He just never had the drive nor the coaches that could get the most out of him.  Ed Brown had great footwork and soft hands though, and I think could have been excellent had he had the right coaches early.  Delarosa isn't that much different.  We still need to land some studs, but I'm not against grabbing a kid like Delarosa if the staff feels he is worth tryinng to mold into a player at this level.

I'm not against it either, however it does appear that we don't have interest from any of the remaining bigs. If he were the only big we land and we lose Obekpa, then were are we for next season? Still time to make things happen but so far we haven't hit on any of our targets yet. It will fall on Lavin's shoulder if we don't land anyone but it's also why Chiles wasn't considered on the top recruiters list.

paultzman

« Reply #112 on: August 26, 2013, 11:05:57 AM »
SH likes those "beefy" bigs;

“@CollegiateHoops: Seton Hall is the latest school to show interest in Christ the King (NY) center Adonis Dela Rosa '14, he told @NYCHoops”

paultzman

« Reply #113 on: September 14, 2013, 09:47:54 AM »
“@Future150: 2014 Christ the King C Adonis De La Rosa lists offers from St. John's, Florida State, Georgetown, Fordham, Seton Hall, and Hofstra.”

« Reply #114 on: September 14, 2013, 09:56:17 AM »
He'd come into a perfect situation at St. John's. With Sampson and Obekpa manning the front court, it would give DelaRosa time to get acclimated to the college game.

Would also give Whitesell a full season to really work on his game and conditioning. Could be a real nice piece for us.

MCNPA

« Reply #115 on: September 14, 2013, 10:00:36 AM »
He'd come into a perfect situation at St. John's. With Sampson and Obekpa manning the front court, it would give DelaRosa time to get acclimated to the college game.

Would also give Whitesell a full season to really work on his game and conditioning. Could be a real nice piece for us.

I really would love to add a kid with his size.  He's got good enough footwork and hands that he could be an asset down the line.   If nothing is expected of him his first season, he'd have time to get his conditioning in order.  Maybe a Devonte Gardner-type down the line?

paultzman

« Reply #116 on: September 14, 2013, 10:06:55 AM »

@Future150: The big man went on to say that he will not take any visits until after he takes the SAT's in October. Could play out into the spring.

paultzman

« Reply #117 on: September 17, 2013, 07:38:29 PM »
“@GiveNGobball: Seton Hall, Stephen F. Austin, and St. Peter's were at Christ The King's workout today. Seton Hall watched Rawle Alkins and Adonis Delarosa.”

“@CerasolisGhost: With Quadri Moore off the board to Cincinnati, Delarosa is a solid local alternative. Another NYC kid. #shbb”
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 07:42:10 PM by paultzman »

MCNPA

« Reply #118 on: September 17, 2013, 10:50:52 PM »
“@GiveNGobball: Seton Hall, Stephen F. Austin, and St. Peter's were at Christ The King's workout today. Seton Hall watched Rawle Alkins and Adonis Delarosa.”

“@CerasolisGhost: With Quadri Moore off the board to Cincinnati, Delarosa is a solid local alternative. Another NYC kid. #shbb”

I said it earlier today that the Hall would try to jump on a big like Delarosa.  I actually hope SJU lands him.  I think he can be good down the road for us.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 10:51:45 PM by MCNPA »

LJSA

« Reply #119 on: September 17, 2013, 11:13:41 PM »
If Whitehead comes, I think you put Delarosa on the back burner while putting out exploratory feelers to all the top uncommitted big men. If you have championship talent and depth at the 1, 2, and 3, might as well take a shot at the cream of the crop.