Adonis DelaRosa - C - Christ The King - New York, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 730 replies

Moose

Re: Adonis DelaRosa - C - Christ The King - New York, NY
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2013, 02:31:02 PM »
Adonis reminds me of one of my older players name Brian Williams. He played for Tennessee. When Brian was in Columbus high school in the neon he was over weight and couldn't score. It took him a whole aau summer and a year in prep school to get him in basketball form and then a whole year at Tennessee to see playing time. Adonis could end up like this but I think St. John's need studs right 

Yeah we still aren't there yet where we can take and stash a player and wait for him to hit his stride.
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2013, 08:56:22 PM »
Nah??

“@TheRecruitScoop: St. John's has offered 2014 New Rens (NY) center Adonis De La Rosa.”

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2013, 08:59:46 PM »
Nah??

“@TheRecruitScoop: St. John's has offered 2014 New Rens (NY) center Adonis De La Rosa.”

A little surprising, not sure how firm that offer is though

paultzman

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2013, 09:00:03 PM »
“@CoachChrisW1LL: Just spoke to my guy 2014 Center Adonis De La Rosa and he informed me of his latest offer from St Johns University. Happy for my young fella”

Moose

« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2013, 09:08:31 PM »
I'm floored.  Would like to see him this summer and see if there has been improvement.
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2013, 09:22:13 PM »
1) The staff must see something they like if they offered him.  He's certainly a huge kid.

2) if we really did offer him, I bet we'll have 4 ships to give when all is said and done, because Adonis will be a project big guy. 

Guess we have to trust the staff on this one.  I too am surprised.

paultzman

« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2013, 09:27:59 PM »
What AAU team does he play with?  I think he was once with NY Lightning, but no longer.

MCNPA

« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2013, 09:31:02 PM »
What AAU team does he play with?  I think he was once with NY Lightning, but no longer.

Rens.  He's a massive kid.  Wondering whether he'll be one of those potential project big men tha we can develop as he gets down from the 300lb range to the 240lb range?  Like I said, they must see something but as of this past winter, he had a long way to go. 

Chilleb

« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2013, 10:05:17 PM »
Why?!?.. We gotta choose a lane. We target the blue clippers then we reach off of a clif. I would give him the benefit of the doubt but even the people close to him say he has very little to no work ethic

gman

« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2013, 10:07:40 PM »
Why?!?.. We gotta choose a lane. We target the blue clippers then we reach off of a clif. I would give him the benefit of the doubt but even the people close to him say he has very little to no work ethic

Enter crgreen. Lavs like big man projects

LJSA

« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2013, 01:34:22 AM »
Maybe this is a Mike Perez situation?

crgreen

« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2013, 03:06:24 AM »

Enter crgreen. Lavs like big man projects

in 2003, Lavs brought in TWO "7 foot" centers - actual measurements were Mike Fey at 6'11 270, and Ryan Hollins, 7'0 210 lbs.    Fey was the RANKED kid (#99 in the RSCI), while Hollins was a late bloomer - he'd was only 6'8 at the end of his HS Junior year, and had been only 6'6 as a soph.    But neither was technically a "project".  Lav's history with bigs (6'10 or bigger), if he brings them in, he expects them to play.  Closest thing to a "project" big was an academic project, not a skill on.   He tried for a year and a half to get former St. Anthony's big man Josh Moore, farming him out to two JCs.  He finally got NCAA qualified, but couldn't pass UCLA's admissions.  Ended up at Michigan.

If Lavs really has offered the kid, it's because he thinks he can play. 

paultzman

« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2013, 08:26:32 AM »
An opinion of someone to respect from March;

"It’s hard to tell, but he’s certainly lost weight,” Konchalski said. “The whole key is his conditioning and his ability to play for longer stretches of time and maintain his stamina to get up and down the floor. He has good hands, and he has a good feel for the game. And he’s not a perimeter wannabe; he doesn’t try to do things he can’t do. He plays very much within himself.”

If this offer is verified, like many have said, it is a shock. Wish it had something to do with getting Alkins, but that's a reach. (Only a Soph) Having seen Adonis four times last year, I will trust staff, but am not confident he is committed to working hard to get into and stay in shape. Secondly, how does he fit Lavin's style of play? Cr in 5, 4, 3, 2 ....

All this is moot if the offer is just Internet BS.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/high-school/ck-delarosa-big-man-royals-fed-run-article-1.1293317#ixzz2Ypi5RoVl

kob24

« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2013, 09:46:16 AM »
WHAT?!?!?!

Foad

« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2013, 10:53:41 AM »
WHAT?!?!?!

Lavs and Foad on the same page. Must be a hell of a book.

DFF6

« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2013, 11:26:16 AM »
WHAT?!?!?!

This kid is the aircraft carrier in the paint that we haven't had on this team in a long time, and he seems to have solid "big man" skills.  We already have a plethora of high flying wings.  If he continues to work on his conditioning,  I think he could be a great addition. 

paultzman

« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2013, 11:39:34 AM »
WHAT?!?!?!

This kid is the aircraft carrier in the paint that we haven't had on this team in a long time, and he seems to have solid "big man" skills.  We already have a plethora of high flying wings.  If he continues to work on his conditioning,  I think he could be a great addition. 

With all due respect, once you see him play, you will say we can do much better IMO. I doubt there really is an offer.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 11:40:25 AM by paultzman »

DFF6

« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2013, 12:05:52 PM »
WHAT?!?!?!

With all due respect, once you see him play, you will say we can do much better IMO. I doubt there really is an offer.

Maybe you're right on both counts Paultzman (I haven't see the kid play), but I would still love to see us land someone who won't get pushed around by the bigs from other teams, and this kid's size is not common among the prospects, elite or otherwise.

paultzman

« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2013, 12:07:22 PM »
WHAT?!?!?!

Maybe you're right on both counts Paultzman (I haven't see the kid play), but I would still love to see us land someone who won't get pushed around by the bigs from other teams, and this kid's size is not common among the prospects, elite or otherwise.

Fair point DF.

« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2013, 12:40:03 PM »
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.