Adonis DelaRosa - C - Christ The King - New York, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 730 replies
Re: Adonis DelaRosa - C - Christ The King - New York, NY
« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2013, 06:15:00 PM »
I've only seen a few Youtube clips but when a kid can barely run up and down the court without tripping over his own feet, I'm not very excited about us offering him.  This kid reminds me more of Curtis Johnson than Josh Smith.

LJSA

« Reply #81 on: July 13, 2013, 06:23:27 PM »
People on this board have seen him in person and think he's terrible, and his stats last year are terrible.

I'm not doubting that the staff is interested, but I'm not going to criticize anyone who is wondering why they are.

kob24

« Reply #82 on: July 13, 2013, 08:44:33 PM »
Maybe they feel they can get him better. I'm not knocking them but damn

SJUFAN

« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2013, 03:09:51 PM »
Please note, I'm not remotely discussing whether the kid is good or bad.   This discussion is simply who's been reported (by  multiple sources) to have offered him (whatever their reasons might be).  He11s bells, we almost ended up with Remi Berry in at a similar time of year, and we DID get Christian Jones....

Didn't Xtian Jones commit the summer after his senior year? Isn't Delarosa class of 2014? Meaning he just finished his junior year. He has a full year of high school to play. It's not surprising to me he hasn't committed, it'd be surprising to me if he had. How many juniors in high school have applied to college by the summer before their senior year and know where they're going? Answer: almost none.

Odd to me that the argument is that Rivals doesn't know what an "offer" is, notice the scare quotes. Rivals rates some kid no one's ever heard of as three stars rather than three and a half and it makes all the difference in the world, but somehow they don't know the difference between an "offer" and interest. Seems to me that the million dollar staff saw a player with enormous upside and figured that they could make him into a player. Three star wings are a dime a dozen. What's so hard to understand.

I'm just postulating. I believe if the staff did actually offer then I trust their opinion. However I will say though that we have seen many sites list kids having offers from high level programs but end up at mid-majors. Often times, those "offers" are not solid. We see top ten players commit prior to their senior year all the time, McCullough was one. If anyone has the time to wait a top ten talent does. But if your not, and you have a program like G'town "offering" why not accept? I'm sure there are things to consider, like possibly being recruited over, etc. Then there is the other reason like not being able to accept it cause its not really available. Idk, like I said, just postulating.   

crgreen

« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2013, 04:02:37 PM »
Please note, I'm not remotely discussing whether the kid is good or bad.   This discussion is simply who's been reported (by  multiple sources) to have offered him (whatever their reasons might be).  He11s bells, we almost ended up with Remi Berry in at a similar time of year, and we DID get Christian Jones....

Didn't Xtian Jones commit the summer after his senior year? Isn't Delarosa class of 2014? Meaning he just finished his junior year. He has a full year of high school to play. It's not surprising to me he hasn't committed, it'd be surprising to me if he had. How many juniors in high school have applied to college by the summer before their senior year and know where they're going? Answer: almost none.

Odd to me that the argument is that Rivals doesn't know what an "offer" is, notice the scare quotes. Rivals rates some kid no one's ever heard of as three stars rather than three and a half and it makes all the difference in the world, but somehow they don't know the difference between an "offer" and interest. Seems to me that the million dollar staff saw a player with enormous upside and figured that they could make him into a player. Three star wings are a dime a dozen. What's so hard to understand.

I'm just postulating. I believe if the staff did actually offer then I trust their opinion. However I will say though that we have seen many sites list kids having offers from high level programs but end up at mid-majors. Often times, those "offers" are not solid. We see top ten players commit prior to their senior year all the time, McCullough was one. If anyone has the time to wait a top ten talent does. But if your not, and you have a program like G'town "offering" why not accept? I'm sure there are things to consider, like possibly being recruited over, etc. Then there is the other reason like not being able to accept it cause its not really available. Idk, like I said, just postulating.

There's a fault in your logic.  The fact they elect to go mid major DOESN'T mean the Higher D-1 offers were "soft".  Simply could mean the high D-1 firmly wanted them as backups to other  bigs - while the mid-major was offering a starting spot.   It's how an Alex Kirk ends up at New Mexico - I guarantee you his Big 10, Big 12, ACC and Multiple Pac 12 offers weren't "Soft".   Or Adjehi Baru ends up at Charleston (10 pts , 8 boards last season) - even with solid offers from North Carolina, Maryland, USC, Miami, and Ohio State - 30+ minutes a game as a starter, versus watching McAdoo or Len or Dedmon or Kadji from the bench....

SJUFAN

« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2013, 04:50:14 PM »

There's a fault in your logic.  The fact they elect to go mid major DOESN'T mean the Higher D-1 offers were "soft".  Simply could mean the high D-1 firmly wanted them as backups to other  bigs - while the mid-major was offering a starting spot.   It's how an Alex Kirk ends up at New Mexico - I guarantee you his Big 10, Big 12, ACC and Multiple Pac 12 offers weren't "Soft".   Or Adjehi Baru ends up at Charleston (10 pts , 8 boards last season) - even with solid offers from North Carolina, Maryland, USC, Miami, and Ohio State - 30+ minutes a game as a starter, versus watching McAdoo or Len or Dedmon or Kadji from the bench....

Is it your position then that all reported offers are "solid"? I stated that there were other things to consider, playing time would be one of them. I'm not saying these are not solid offers for the kid. I'm saying its possible they are not. Not sure what the issues are with pointing out other possibilities.   

crgreen

« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2013, 05:16:13 PM »

Is it your position then that all reported offers are "solid"? I stated that there were other things to consider, playing time would be one of them. I'm not saying these are not solid offers for the kid. I'm saying its possible they are not. Not sure what the issues are with pointing out other possibilities.   

Sorry - didn't mean to offend.  But you used the term "often times" in describing these "soft offers" and I don't believe that is the case.  I believe that when most staffs make offers, they are firm.   Nothing worse from a PR standpoint than to have an offer reported, have a kid announce he's accepting, and put the coach in the position of refusing the committment.

SJUFAN

« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2013, 05:48:10 PM »

Sorry - didn't mean to offend.  But you used the term "often times" in describing these "soft offers" and I don't believe that is the case.  I believe that when most staffs make offers, they are firm.   Nothing worse from a PR standpoint than to have an offer reported, have a kid announce he's accepting, and put the coach in the position of refusing the committment.

No offense taken. I was just curious if you felt all offers are in fact solid. A kid is not going to announce he's accepting an offer until he finds out if its still available so there is no PR issue. The reason why I stated most of these offers are soft is because usually a coach doesn't have as many ships to give as offered. Obviously someone's offer isn't solid if the program has only two ships available but has five offers out there. Its contingent upon availability. That's a little bit different than what I was postulating which was there isn't an true offer at all, only reported. But again, I am just postulating. The staff may have very well offered the young man, only to resend it once someone better comes along  :) 

desco80

« Reply #88 on: July 16, 2013, 05:12:46 PM »
I don't find it odd that the staff is interested in someone who might be a project, whom they feel they can make better.
What's interesting is that it's a big man. 

In the three previous off seasons our staff was almost completely adverse to recruiting big men.   Maybe we'd be mentioned with one or two a year, and they had to be athletic.  Most of our bigs were versatile enough that they could even play on the wing at times: Moe, Jakarr, Sanchez etc.    We took chances on other guys with lots of upside: Jones, Marco, Felix etc.   But never a big.  This was wing central.   

Its clear to me there has been a change in approach.   We're simply talking to far more big men than at any point since Lavin has been here.   I get that the upcoming classes are loaded with big men; but even aside from that - there's a clear pattern to start recruiting more size.

paultzman

« Reply #89 on: July 16, 2013, 05:28:12 PM »
I don't find it odd that the staff is interested in someone who might be a project, whom they feel they can make better.
What's interesting is that it's a big man. 

In the three previous off seasons our staff was almost completely adverse to recruiting big men.   Maybe we'd be mentioned with one or two a year, and they had to be athletic.  Most of our bigs were versatile enough that they could even play on the wing at times: Moe, Jakarr, Sanchez etc.    We took chances on other guys with lots of upside: Jones, Marco, Felix etc.   But never a big.  This was wing central.   

Its clear to me there has been a change in approach.   We're simply talking to far more big men than at any point since Lavin has been here.   I get that the upcoming classes are loaded with big men; but even aside from that - there's a clear pattern to start recruiting more size.

Staff may appreciate we get man handled at times by beefy, tall or strong post players. GT, M'Q. & UCLA, with Josh Smith a few years ago, and perhaps Nova have had legit bigs who gave us trouble. Imo, if you have a couple of nimble, physical big men, you can still employ your athletic wings and guards well.

« Reply #90 on: July 16, 2013, 06:34:36 PM »
It's also not out of the question that the staff is thinking that JaKarr and CO will be the frontcourt beyond next year.  Maybe Jones is progressing to the point of getting serious minutes at the 4 in 2014.

I love that we are finally in a position to hedge the current roster with an aircraft carrier project while swinging for homers with McD AAs.

« Reply #91 on: July 17, 2013, 10:28:02 AM »
I agree, Chud.  Big difference when you are trying to build a roster versus when you can just fill specific needs.

paultzman

« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2013, 01:43:14 PM »
Another "scoop" lol

“@AdamZagoria: St. John's, FSU and Fordham have offered 2014 C Adonis Dela Rosa of Christ the King”

paultzman

« Reply #93 on: July 21, 2013, 03:51:22 PM »
As much as this pains me, anyone?

“@NYCHoops: http://RedStormReport.com - Video: Adonis Dela Rosa talks about St. John's http://shar.es/k7H0O #STJBB #SJUBB #BigEast #CollegeHoops”

Moose

« Reply #94 on: July 21, 2013, 04:02:11 PM »

“@NYCHoops: http://RedStormReport.com - Video: Adonis Dela Rosa talks about St. John's http://shar.es/k7H0O #STJBB #SJUBB #BigEast #CollegeHoops”

-Painful video to start.
-Misses a few bunnies
-Does hit 2 FT's so there's a positive.
-Then time for a painful Wingate interview where Adonis is sporting the Andrew Bynum haircut.
-Wingate calls him 6'10 and Adonis corrects him and says 7 ft.  (Yeah and I have a 30 inch waist)
-He's happy with the offer from SJU
-Mentions a big kid by the name of Chris Obekpa who is 'really good' and the kid 'Sampson' who can both help him with his game if he goes there.
-Knows we lack a big with a back to the basket game and he can bring that he says.
-Says we played 5 on 4 last year because Obekpa wanted to play defense.
-Offer came after the season.  They wanted to see him play vs. bigs since there aren't many in CHSAA so they saw him play Ohio Basketball Club.  Chiles made offer.  Lavin said he 'loves' him and only needed to see 10 minutes of the game to see what he needed to see.
-Lastly he has no favorites.
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #95 on: July 21, 2013, 04:22:55 PM »

-Painful video to start.
-Misses a few bunnies
-Does hit 2 FT's so there's a positive.
-Then time for a painful Wingate interview where Adonis is sporting the Andrew Bynum haircut.
-Wingate calls him 6'10 and Adonis corrects him and says 7 ft.  (Yeah and I have a 30 inch waist)
-He's happy with the offer from SJU
-Mentions a big kid by the name of Chris Obekpa who is 'really good' and the kid 'Sampson' who can both help him with his game if he goes there.
-Knows we lack a big with a back to the basket game and he can bring that he says.
-Says we played 5 on 4 last year because Obekpa wanted to play defense.
-Offer came after the season.  They wanted to see him play vs. bigs since there aren't many in CHSAA so they saw him play Ohio Basketball Club.  Chiles made offer.  Lavin said he 'loves' him and only needed to see 10 minutes of the game to see what he needed to see.
-Lastly he has no favorites.

Thx Moose.

SJU79

« Reply #96 on: July 22, 2013, 11:12:23 AM »
Not here to pass judgement on his game or be critical of any youngster but irrespective of how many feel on this board about the current state of his game or his potential I can tell you with 100% certainity that SJU is not alone in their evaluation of his game....some schools have been mentioned but their are quite a few other big name programs that like his game and will be offering

paultzman

« Reply #97 on: July 22, 2013, 12:15:52 PM »
Not here to pass judgement on his game or be critical of any youngster but irrespective of how many feel on this board about the current state of his game or his potential I can tell you with 100% certainity that SJU is not alone in their evaluation of his game....some schools have been mentioned but their are quite a few other big name programs that like his game and will be offering

I'm sure there are schools interested. Such coaches probably feel he is skilled enough to play at a high level. That said, Lavin and interested counterparts must be confident they can develop him and, more importantly, get him committed to getting and staying in shape. My concern is the latter. Up to this point, he has not demonstrated that dedication. He certainly has good hands, decent post moves, a soft shot and nimble feet.

Please appreciate I have not seen him numerous times, but enough to formulate an opinion. I also recognize coaches willing to recruit him are far better equipped to render a judgment on his development than me. I will thus trust Lavin and staff on this one. Lastly, my expressed concern about Adonis is also tempered by my expectation that we would be in great shape for more established interior players for 14 Class. I know we are still there with Abu and others and it is still early. I just was surprised we needed to take this leap at this juncture.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 12:17:19 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #98 on: July 22, 2013, 12:29:32 PM »
Can't teach height because if you could we would have a lot of students on the team.

crgreen

« Reply #99 on: July 22, 2013, 01:44:49 PM »

From various reputable sources, De La Rosa currently has offers from (in alphabetical order):

Arkansas, Dayton, Drexel, Fordham, Florida State, Georgetown, Hofstra, Maryland, Missouri, Notre Dame, Providence, St. Johns, SMU, Stanford, VCU, and Xavier.

Other major conference teams showing interest, but not yet offering include Kansas, Memphis, Michigan State, Pitt, Tennessee