Payton Dastrup - C - Mountain View HS - Mesa, AZ - OHIO STATE

• 33 replies
Re: Payton Dastrup - C - Mountain View HS - Mesa, AZ
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2013, 08:55:26 AM »
Didn't make the cut.

http://blogs.fayobserver.com/accbasketball/August-2013/Payton-Dastrup-leaves-out-N-C--State,-includes-Kan

Who's freaking cut have we made

Nobody
Time to fire Lavin
I don't understand that reaction, Moose. Objectively, despite Lavins strong recruiting track record, a majority of his 2014 prospects have cut St Johns in the last week.  There will be 3 scholarships to fill at a minimum. Can you identify 3 players who might realistically fill that void?  This is unlike previous years where highly regarded targets waited until the Spring to commit. 

Of course lavin deserves the benefit of the doubt given the talent he has brought in. But it is inaccurate to say that we have not fallen behind for 2014.

PIB

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2013, 09:17:06 AM »
I'm a little concerned, but we will see what Lavin has up his sleeve. I trust he has a plan, and will work diligently to execute it.

One thing I can say about recruiting, is that it is fluid. Things change.

Let's see how this shakes out.

paultzman

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2013, 09:18:41 AM »
Didn't make the cut.

http://blogs.fayobserver.com/accbasketball/August-2013/Payton-Dastrup-leaves-out-N-C--State,-includes-Kan

Nobody
Time to fire Lavin
I don't understand that reaction, Moose. Objectively, despite Lavins strong recruiting track record, a majority of his 2014 prospects have cut St Johns in the last week.  There will be 3 scholarships to fill at a minimum. Can you identify 3 players who might realistically fill that void?  This is unlike previous years where highly regarded targets waited until the Spring to commit. 

Of course lavin deserves the benefit of the doubt given the talent he has brought in. But it is inaccurate to say that we have not fallen behind for 2014.

Remaining optimistic that Lavin & staff will get several quality bigs, but it does seem we got in late on a number of kids. First hand I know that to be true for Paschal C. in my area. The one thing that surprises me is not making final cuts on some quality kids, precluding visits. When Lavin generates visits I always feel more confident.

I know it is early, but I was hoping for more momentum early on. It seemed we scrambled for Dastrup and a few others. That can happen, but with 14 & 15 being critical years, more initial progress would have been reassuring. Hopefully this is not viewed as an attack, panic or negativity. At the end of the day, I know we will be fine.

Chilleb

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2013, 09:32:46 AM »
We did make larrier's top 10 would have to think he Is a priority at this point.

MCNPA

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2013, 09:43:52 AM »
Would Larrier, Chukwu, Kasongo be so bad?  There are still plenty of others.  Gotta give it time yet.  We'll likely end up hearing some new names as well. 

paultzman

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2013, 10:58:22 AM »
Would Larrier, Chukwu, Kasongo be so bad?  There are still plenty of others.  Gotta give it time yet.  We'll likely end up hearing some new names as well. 

Not getting Chukwu. (UConn or Providence)We are trying to catch up on Kasongo. Larrier would be awesome, nice four year player IMO. That said, I have never had impression we are in the driver's seat for him. However, Kob would have a better handle than me on that. You are correct about new names I would think.

ras

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2013, 11:08:00 AM »
Hopefully  C. Jones will improve, we could sure use him next year to fill the front line void.

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2013, 11:16:54 AM »
seems like cooley in the drivers seat....and we are floundering this year.

PIB

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2013, 11:21:26 AM »
It's early to mention transfers, but I wonder if this is something Lavin may explore if we struggle during the fall.

Moose

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2013, 01:10:57 PM »
Didn't make the cut.

Nobody
Time to fire Lavin

Its not even November yet.  The early signing period hasn't even happened yet.  As discussed before even IF November rolls around and there aren'y commits he has still proven the ability to nab top players in the Spring.  Unfortunately until he doesn't do that he get the benefit of the doubt from me.  As PIB and MCN posted as well things are fluid and other names who are listing us currently are not that bad at all.  But again things are fluid. 

Lets get to the November signing period benchmark and re-evaluate there at that point.  Lets see once games are played and who we are replacing and how many minutes per game they are playing.  Might only be 1 player with significant time.
Remember who broke the Slice news

gman

« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2013, 06:07:42 PM »
Didn't make the cut.

Nobody
Time to fire Lavin

Its not even November yet.  The early signing period hasn't even happened yet.  As discussed before even IF November rolls around and there aren'y commits he has still proven the ability to nab top players in the Spring.  Unfortunately until he doesn't do that he get the benefit of the doubt from me.  As PIB and MCN posted as well things are fluid and other names who are listing us currently are not that bad at all.  But again things are fluid. 

Lets get to the November signing period benchmark and re-evaluate there at that point.  Lets see once games are played and who we are replacing and how many minutes per game they are playing.  Might only be 1 player with significant time.

I am very disappointed with how this recruiting season has gone, but I really think things pick up if we show a good product on the court.  If the team plays well and guys like Sampson/Rysheed get media attention that will help tremendously.  Hopefully the staff can land some nice pieces because the 2014 class is a real glue class in my opinion between Lavin's first class and the next 5 year.  If we strike out on 2014 it will be like starting all over again with freshmen in 2015. 

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2013, 06:41:26 PM »
Didn't make the cut.

Nobody
Time to fire Lavin

Remaining optimistic that Lavin & staff will get several quality bigs, but it does seem we got in late on a number of kids. First hand I know that to be true for Paschal C. in my area. The one thing that surprises me is not making final cuts on some quality kids, precluding visits. When Lavin generates visits I always feel more confident.

I know it is early, but I was hoping for more momentum early on. It seemed we scrambled for Dastrup and a few others. That can happen, but with 14 & 15 being critical years, more initial progress would have been reassuring. Hopefully this is not viewed as an attack, panic or negativity. At the end of the day, I know we will be fine.
You are walking a fine line regarding your post being considered an attack, panic or negativity. IMHO some off the glass is always full (notice I didn't say half full, I mean full full) crowd will view your post as a misdemeanor and you may escape with probation but they will be keeping an eye on you in the future. Tread carefully my friend, next time you might not be so lucky and you will be looking at a felony with some jail time.  :) :) :) :) :)

paultzman

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2013, 08:07:02 PM »
Didn't make the cut.

Nobody
Time to fire Lavin

I am very disappointed with how this recruiting season has gone, but I really think things pick up if we show a good product on the court.  If the team plays well and guys like Sampson/Rysheed get media attention that will help tremendously.  Hopefully the staff can land some nice pieces because the 2014 class is a real glue class in my opinion between Lavin's first class and the next 5 year.  If we strike out on 2014 it will be like starting all over again with freshmen in 2015. 

Well said gman.

paultzman

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2013, 09:20:28 PM »
FYI, he will do two year mission before joining OSU.

@ebosshoops: Payton Dastrup is an Ohio State Buckeye per a text from his father.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 09:24:25 PM by paultzman »