Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk - KANSAS

• 15 replies
Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk - KANSAS
« on: April 14, 2014, 08:02:40 PM »
If we are recruiting internationally, I hope the staff works on 6'-6" Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk right away.  We do not have shooters that can play at high D1, right?  Here he is...

http://youtu.be/dYU7cDI2SYE

Playing Nike Hoops Summit.  Might need to do some work on school paperwork...

Sviatoslav Mykhailiukdidn't get a lot of opportunities to score, but he showed some impressive tools for a 16 year-old when he did. Standing 6'6 with a 6'6 wingspan, and a solid 191 pound frame, the Ukrainian shooting guard showed intriguing athleticism and the ability to create space or find the open man off the dribble. Throwing a number of terrific passes and knocking down a step-back 18-footer isolated on the wing in the clutch, he's stood out on the few chances he's had to make an impression. Competing regularly against older players may become the norm for Mykhailiuk who has had a number of college teams come out to the Ukraine to recruit him. The son of a professor, he attends a multi-lingual school in the Ukraine, speaks very good English, and is in position to potentially commit to and attend an NCAA institution starting this fall even though he'd only be 17 years old for the duration of his freshman year, making him one of the youngest players in college basketball history. The target of a number of top-level Euroleague teams as well, Mykhailiuk is one of the more intriguing 1997-born prospects outside of the United States, and his status as a recruit is something we'll be monitoring closely.

From DraftExpress.comhttp://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz2yuRS1ok9

http://www.draftexpress.com
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 10:24:38 PM by Moose »

Re: Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 08:10:17 PM »
Encore vid - some ups too at 15:

http://youtu.be/K867DDeFbnI
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 08:10:36 PM by bball purist »

Marillac

Re: Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk - 2014???
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 08:20:06 PM »
This kid looks like a pro.  I can't believe he would even consider college.  Staff should be all over him. 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 08:20:32 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 08:23:06 PM »
This kid looks like a pro.  I can't believe he would even consider college.  Staff should be all over him.
I thought the same thing since he'll only be 17 in June.

His dad's a professor, fluent in English already.  He could transition here easily (Alex Len took quite  awhile to get used to English and the US).  Playing for a Ukraine team means he's still in Ukraine. Maybe the Crimea takeover will sway him to the states  ;) 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 08:23:33 PM by bball purist »

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 01:27:26 AM »
I'm sure he is on his way to the teepee as we speak!  ::)

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 10:51:58 AM »
I'm sure he is on his way to the teepee as we speak!  ::)
Big, international cities have sway - NYC and DC - Johnnies and Terps!

Tiger

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 02:39:40 PM »
I can't understand why SJU doesn't have more foreign kids.  NYC is a melting pot of nationalities.  We don't even get Canadian kids and we're a hop, skip and jump for them....almost every airport offers direct flights to NYC.  Due to the long flights, I could see us struggling with South American kids and Asian kids.  Oh well, I'm not a recruiter.  We had Marco/France and we do alright with Dominican kids (Felipe and Sanchez).  Count my blessings.

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 03:00:26 PM »
I can't understand why SJU doesn't have more foreign kids.

Last season we had players from Nigeria (Obepka and Achiuwa), France (Bourgault), Guinea (Balamou) and DR (Sánchez).

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 04:42:02 PM »

Last season we had players from Nigeria (Obepka and Achiuwa), France (Bourgault), Guinea (Balamou) and DR (Sánchez).
I think he meant straight off the plane/boat foreign kids.

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 09:32:30 PM »

All played HS or JUCO ball within a 50 mile radius-hardly qualifies as international recruiting.

MCNPA

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 08:20:25 AM »
I can't understand why SJU doesn't have more foreign kids.  NYC is a melting pot of nationalities.  We don't even get Canadian kids and we're a hop, skip and jump for them....almost every airport offers direct flights to NYC.  Due to the long flights, I could see us struggling with South American kids and Asian kids.  Oh well, I'm not a recruiter.  We had Marco/France and we do alright with Dominican kids (Felipe and Sanchez).  Count my blessings.

In addition Rowan Barrett runs that Canadian program.  I thought we'd have some more link to them.

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 05:02:36 PM »

All played HS or JUCO ball within a 50 mile radius-hardly qualifies as international recruiting.
I questioned the Int'l recruiting angle, or lack thereof, last week.  It received a luke warm response on the board to say the least.

With my Terps/Johnnies attachments, I see ZERO reason why SJ's cannot attract players from Ukraine or Slovenia or wherever.

As much as we joked about Willard plucking mediocre Canaris players a few years ago, the Terps may have snagged a good one with 7' Cekovsky.  Why isn't the staff getting some twin tower action going?  I know, I know, CR would be all over this and state how Lavs only had the 4 players taller than 6' whatever in his 7 years.

But the height is needed imho.  But I won't go into my US declining heights statistical data again  :buck2: [size=78%] [/size]

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 05:14:01 PM »
Why not go hard after him?  If his paperwork doesn't pan out, so be it.  So he'll miss 10 games or less judging from history.  No worse than anything here...

NBA Draft.net:

"Notes: The best prospect in Europe in a long time, probably since Ricky Rubio ... In the US he would be considered a 5 star recruit, and according to sources he will be recruited from colleges as a 5 star recruit ... What Mykhaliuk showed at the recent U16 European championships was a mix of athleticism, skills and feel for the game that is extremely rare to see in a European player, or any player of his age, for that matter ..."
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 05:14:23 PM by bball purist »

Poison

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 05:17:36 PM »

Due to the long flights, I could see a foreign recruit not feel like changing over to a puddle jumper at O'Hare so he can get to Lexington, Kentucky, yet for some reason, kids do it.

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 05:19:52 PM »

Due to the long flights, I could see a foreign recruit not feel like changing over to a puddle jumper at O'Hare so he can get to Lexington, Kentucky, yet for some reason, kids do it.
Funny...

SJ's would be a better destination for him.  Lexington's already got enough whiteys to go around and more... ;D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 05:22:15 PM by bball purist »

Re: Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk - 2014??? Signs with Kansas
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 01:16:20 PM »
Mykhailiuk commits to Kansas.

For some reason (and I don't know how much it bothers the rest of the board (maybe because the staff did put out feelers and there was no chance - Dave, guys on the board, ever hear anything?), but this one bothers me from the distance I'm at.

Here's a Ukraine kid, totally laying low as it was expected he'd enter right into the pros.  Then the opening pops up that he might play in the states.  I hope to heck the staff was on him.  After MD asst coach Rob Ehsan set the wheels in motion for Alex Len to commit to MD, it dawned on me that Ukraine players would be well suited for major metropolitan cities like NYC and DC.

In Mykhailiuk's case, he speaks fluent English, so it might not be as big a deal.  But moving forward, I hope the staff lives up to the "SJ's is recruiting the world," because taking Ukraine as an example, there's an approx. 165k Ukraine born population in NYC/LI/Northern NJ.  That's 1st in the US, with DC being 4th with 28k.  I hope this growing population in the NYC region is leveraged.

Basically, a top10-20 player just got worked into Self's lineup, a guy that can shoot the lights out, dribble and pass.  Sounds like any school should have sent out a feeler just to make sure. I hope we did.  Enough of my complaining, it's done now. But I will feel mad if it seems to happen again and SJ's does not try....

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24569048/kansas-adds-ukrainian-star-sviatoslav-mykhailiuk
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 01:20:09 PM by bball purist »