Myles Stewart SG-Westchester HS Los Angeles, CAA (Walk-on) - ST. JOHN'S

• 70 replies
Re: Myles Stewart SG-Westchester HS Los Angeles, CAA (Walk-on)
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2014, 07:38:52 PM »
The last Westchester kid we had ended up as a starter...on a top 25 team.
DeeWayne Poleeee'!

sju89tr

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2014, 09:48:50 AM »
6'6 ?

Posted by Ed Gonzalez on May 2nd, 2014
Westchester guard Myles Stewart announced that he will be a preferred walk-on at St John’s University in New York City next year.

The 6-foot-6 senior was apart of a Comet team that advance to the Open Division Regional Finals this season.

http://sportsjournalla.com/boys-basketball-westchesters-myles-stewart-to-walk-on-at-st-johns/

wtf is a "preferred walkon"?

It just means they are recruited to be on the team. A normal walkon would have to try out.

Gerard Rivers who transferred was a preferred walkon. Don't see that term too much in D1 basketball but it's a common thing in D1 baseball.   

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2014, 11:32:14 AM »
6'6 ?

Posted by Ed Gonzalez on May 2nd, 2014
Westchester guard Myles Stewart announced that he will be a preferred walk-on at St John’s University in New York City next year.

The 6-foot-6 senior was apart of a Comet team that advance to the Open Division Regional Finals this season.

http://sportsjournalla.com/boys-basketball-westchesters-myles-stewart-to-walk-on-at-st-johns/

wtf is a "preferred walkon"?

It just means they are recruited to be on the team. A normal walkon would have to try out.

Gerard Rivers who transferred was a preferred walkon. Don't see that term too much in D1 basketball but it's a common thing in D1 baseball.   

Very common in football too.

LJSA

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2014, 08:30:05 PM »
Jack Trotter at Stanford was a preferred walkon. I thought that was really unusual because he was 6'9" and from Moraga, so he definitely could have gone to St. Mary's for free. Hard to turn down Stanford, though. Had a good soph year, not much else though.

It sounds like Stewart could be pretty good for us assuming his knee is 100 percent. We need a game-ready backcourt in a bad way after next season, so I'd give Stewart as many minutes as possible at SF and shift him back to his natural position in 2015-16.

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2014, 09:21:05 PM »
Jack Trotter at Stanford was a preferred walkon. I thought that was really unusual because he was 6'9" and from Moraga, so he definitely could have gone to St. Mary's for free. Hard to turn down Stanford, though. Had a good soph year, not much else though.

It sounds like Stewart could be pretty good for us assuming his knee is 100 percent. We need a game-ready backcourt in a bad way after next season, so I'd give Stewart as many minutes as possible at SF and shift him back to his natural position in 2015-16.

Pitino did it a few years ago with Kyle Kuric.  Kid had a full scholarship offer from Evansville and he decided to walk on at UL with the hope/promise of getting a scholarship down the road.  But Kuric was not an ordinary walk on.  He played a major role on those UL teams.

I don't know how much impact he will make next year but he could be a player.  My guess is Lavin wants to see how the roster shakes up NEXT year before he gives him a scholarship next year.  If he has 1 or 2 left next year he probably gives one to Stewart.  But he expects a big class next year with a number of studs and he doesn't want to give him one this year when he may have to take it away next year if he needs it.

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2014, 09:24:03 PM »
He'll be starting as a sophomore

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2014, 09:43:34 PM »

He's going to be starting next to you, the HC will be Tim Cluess (SJU was going to hire Masiello but word is he was still 3 credits short) and then Dave turns the board into a therapy group for SJU groupies with guest appearances by Ron Artest.

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2014, 09:49:23 PM »
can you go from scholarship lets say this coming year and then back to walk on the following year ?

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2014, 09:53:06 PM »
can you go from scholarship lets say this coming year and then back to walk on the following year ?

Yes. People forget Doug McDermott gave up his schollie this past year so Grant Gibbs who was granted a 6th year could stay on scholarship.
But my guess is they don't necessarily want to yo-yo the kid.

« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2014, 10:46:08 PM »

I the CRGreen said something about  a third Gasol brother being a preferred walk-on at UCLA.

I'm exited to see Stewert. Anyone who can shoot is welcome. And I know it's just a highlight film but it looks like he actually enjoys playing defense, something our previous shooters failed to do.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 10:47:11 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2014, 10:48:32 PM »

Yes. People forget Doug McDermott gave up his schollie this past year so Grant Gibbs who was granted a 6th year could stay on scholarship.
But my guess is they don't necessarily want to yo-yo the kid.
Exactly, so if Lavin doesn't use all 13 schollies this season he would save the kid a ton of money even if he has to rip it next year because he needs it for higher rated players because if that happens the kid won't have one for both years. Unless you want to pay his tuition, room and board, meals, books, etc.  :)

Poison

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2014, 11:19:43 PM »

Hey, can't fault Lavin for the good moves. I would have loved a kid at this level to walk on in the 05-06 season. And many others. He's got a quick release. Can't be worse than Hooper on d, and it's a free roll of the dice. If he's starting as a soph, he'll be a great story.

I hope he is.

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2014, 02:04:40 AM »

Jamal White.

http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/white_jamal00.html

sju89tr

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2014, 03:28:15 PM »

Jamal White.

http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/white_jamal00.html

The NCAA frowns on the recruited walkon as a way to get around scholarship limits and the shady loan thing to pay for college but I believe Andre Drummodn ended up being a walkon at UCONN

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2014, 11:06:55 PM »
Lots of SJU/Lavin ties for Myles.  He played for Earl Watson Elite aau team too.

Will be good practice player for St. John's and could be useful in a situational role.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

paultzman

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2014, 11:13:17 PM »
Lots of SJU/Lavin ties for Myles.  He played for Earl Watson Elite aau team too.

Will be good practice player for St. John's and could be useful in a situational role.

Reasonable & sensible comments.  Let's not disappoint ourselves once again with crazy walk on world beater comparisons  please.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 11:15:10 PM by paultzman »

LoganK

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2014, 08:25:43 AM »

That's exactly what we should hope for from a walk on.  Someone who can make the rest of our team better via practices.  If he can get spot minutes and hit a shot every once in a while, that's just a bonus IMO.

Foad

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2014, 08:51:26 AM »

If nothing else this gives Lavin the sort of shooter he loves: the kind he can put in for 30 seconds, until he misses a shot, and then yank out. Marco Bourgault 3: This Time It's Personnel. With the addition of Thomas and now this kid the team is shaping up to have the sort of depth that Lavin has proved he is completely ill-equipped to handle. Hopefully he settles on a starting rotation by the first round of the NIT.

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2014, 11:03:45 PM »
Show this kid some love. Please make this topic a sticky. Thanks in advance.