Ryan Martin PF South Plains JC

• 76 replies

paultzman

Re: Ryan Martin PF South Plains JC
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2014, 10:41:40 AM »
Ryan Martin, a 6’9 forward from South Plains College, will take an official visit to St. John’s this weekend. Martin had a very good showing at the All American Availables Showcase last weekend in Dallas with St. John’s in attendance. He is skilled for his size and has the ability to score the ball in the low post with his back to the basket. Martin has good athletic ability and moves well for his size. He averaged 12 points and 7 rebounds per game at South Plains.

www.jucorecruiting.com/recruiting-roundu...ruiting-news-visits/

QuanMan

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2014, 11:43:04 AM »
Looks like this kid really plays with a chip on his shoulder. Him and Keith have similar attributes, play with aggression, grit, and are very athletic. If we can add the both of them, we'll suddenly have a frontcourt with an attitude and toughness, something sorely lacking last year.

Don't get me wrong though, Obek plays with a tenacity and is very imposing. He tends to float around the paint and get stuck at the top of they key at times, but with these bodies balancing everything out, hopefully we can play Lav's matchup zone and let our bigs go to work defensively:

PF: CJ/Keith/Ryan

C:Obek/ADR/Joey

That's really a formiddable frontcourt for the Big East or any conference. Add in our loaded backcourt and I think we're in pretty good shape.
Section 3
Section 116

Poison

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2014, 11:47:00 AM »
This seems like the kind of recruit that Norm would lose out to in June. And Depaul is the kind of school that beats him. We landed zero transfers, so the 15-16 season could feature Jones, Balamou, DeLaRosa and Jordan. And that's it. Jordan, probably thinks he's NBA ready after two years of college, so that leaves 3 returning players.

I have never heard of Ryan Martin, but it really looks like he's option 6 or 7 at PF so it's hard to get the slightest bit excited about the prospects of him coming here. Why hasn't he been recruited by other high major programs? Probably because he isn't a high major player.

Poison

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2014, 11:49:03 AM »
Looks like this kid really plays with a chip on his shoulder. Him and Keith have similar attributes, play with aggression, grit, and are very athletic. If we can add the both of them, we'll suddenly have a frontcourt with an attitude and toughness, something sorely lacking last year.

Don't get me wrong though, Obek plays with a tenacity and is very imposing. He tends to float around the paint and get stuck at the top of they key at times, but with these bodies balancing everything out, hopefully we can play Lav's matchup zone and let our bigs go to work defensively:

That's really a formiddable frontcourt for the Big East or any conference. Add in our loaded backcourt and I think we're in pretty good shape.

Obekpa floats to the top of the key, because he's coached to do that. It would be great if our coach would stop coaching him to do that.

desco80

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2014, 12:23:05 PM »

It is?     Obekpa is the only one of the 6 who's ever done anything at this level before.   ADR is a project and  Joey should be a walk-on.
Thomas seems like a solid role player, but I don't see how an upside kid like Jones, a good role player, and Obekpa makes this a formiddable frontcourt.

Also, it's pretty telling that it's May and our staff is going to JUCO showcases to look for players.   

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2014, 02:07:29 PM »

maybe, do we really have any idea though?  None of these guys are projected by any recruiting services to be impact players.  Obekpa is fine, but very one dimensional and only showed flashes of an offensive game.  The others seem like a crap shoot.  Plus, we can only play two at a time, obekpa with any one of the others doesn't get me too excited, though perhaps thomas could turn out to be pretty good (if we get him)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 02:08:07 PM by apesNapes »

paultzman

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2014, 04:03:46 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: South Plans JUCO coach Hank Plona on Ryan Martin: "He's a four-man that can certainly help at that level." Visits #subb

Always something!  :tickedoff:

@NYPost_Brazille: Issue with Ryan Martin is he may only have one year of eligibility. 22 years old. Would need waiver for second year. #sjubb
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 04:07:16 PM by paultzman »

NYCoffey

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2014, 04:06:28 PM »
The eligibility issue scared teams off, Ryan Martin's coach said. Pittsburgh, Az. St. involved during year. #sjubb watched him last weekend

From Braziller.

paultzman

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2014, 04:11:13 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: Towson and Houston have called on Ryan Martin this week, his coach said. #sjubb

MCNPA

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2014, 04:26:15 PM »
We don't need him for more than one year anyway, so it's no problem.  We need bodies this season.

« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2014, 06:35:18 PM »
Looks like Martin is in, Thomas to Rose Hill

ras

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2014, 06:37:14 PM »
If we don't get Thomson, even if he has 1 year of eligibility Lavin will have to put the full court press on him, It's late and our options are dwindling.

paultzman

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2014, 06:40:17 PM »
Martin seems likely. Not too many folks are aggressively pursuing him. Hopefully Thomas is still in play.

hnk

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2014, 07:08:32 PM »
Yes, baldi

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2014, 07:13:45 PM »
If he averaged 10 and 9 i think we would all be happy.

Right, this guy no one's heard of before yesterday will come in and average a double double and we'll all be pretty happy. 

Belly laugh...thanks

Pete88

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2014, 02:42:19 PM »
Looks like Martin is in, Thomas to Rose Hill

I know this is stating the obvious to everyone who reads these boards…. but, your sources SUCK!!! That is all. 

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2014, 06:46:45 PM »
What sources?  It's called making shit up.

boo3

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2014, 06:57:38 PM »
 credibility is tough to re-establish once you've been shown a fraud....

:Ancient Chinese Proverb:
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 06:57:51 PM by boo3 »

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2014, 07:04:25 PM »
Where did I claim sources?  Miserable old farts

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2014, 07:05:26 PM »
What sources?  It's called making shit up.

You haven't been credible since....ever