Ryan Martin PF South Plains JC

• 76 replies

paultzman

Re: Ryan Martin PF South Plains JC
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2014, 07:26:56 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: Told the visit with Ryan Martin went well. Not sure how he feels about Keith Thomas commitment for St. John's. #sjubb

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2014, 07:28:26 PM »
What sources?  It's called making shit up.

Holy shnikees!!!  You are just figuring that out now????

MCNPA

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2014, 07:29:45 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: Told the visit with Ryan Martin went well. Not sure how he feels about Keith Thomas commitment for St. John's. #sjubb

It's not like we are loaded.  We have more than enough room.  Remember we have no small forwards either so may have to play with two pf's at times.

« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2014, 08:19:34 PM »

It's not like we are loaded.  We have more than enough room.  Remember we have no small forwards either so may have to play with two pf's at times.
Plus he can get plenty of minutes backing up CO at center. We could really use this kid because not only does he look athletic but he looks big too which can make up some if he isn't particularly skilled.

DFF6

« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2014, 08:24:01 PM »

Plus he can get plenty of minutes backing up CO at center. We could really use this kid because not only does he look athletic but he looks big too which can make up some if he isn't particularly skilled.

As I commented on the K Thomas thread, it's not about what we need (ie, more front court depth) it's what Martin needs (ie, a lot of guaranteed PT, especially if he has only one year of eligibility left). Thomas' commitment means more competition for pt. Not too complicated to understand his views.

desco80

« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2014, 09:07:58 PM »

As I commented on the K Thomas thread, it's not about what we need (ie, more front court depth) it's what Martin needs (ie, a lot of guaranteed PT, especially if he has only one year of eligibility left). Thomas' commitment means more competition for pt. Not too complicated to understand his views.

I agree, you need to look at things from the recruit's perspective.
But at this stage in the game, how mAny schools have a lot of playing time to offer?

cjfish

« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2014, 09:07:59 PM »
Kid can dribble, create his own shot and hit it, made some nice passes FWIW, and seems to have a flair for blocking shots. Didn't see much rebounding and no other defensive skills.  Do like his energy level, but hard to judge against slower competition.  Solid prospect it seems, but are we too late to the table?

Averaged almost nine rebounds per game so has skills in that department.  If he averaged 10 and 9 i think we would all be happy.

Agreed, but the highlight video didn't show him fighting for those tough rebounds (maybe they weren't flashy enough to make the cut).     

Rebounds nearly never make the cut, they are hard work and everyone, unfortunately, would rather see jams, fancy moves etc.  Don't remember K. Malone having many fancy moves
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 09:11:48 PM by cjfish »

DFF6

« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2014, 09:39:07 PM »

I agree, you need to look at things from the recruit's perspective.
But at this stage in the game, how mAny schools have a lot of playing time to offer?

Good question Desco. I don't know the answer. But a school in the running for Martin who didn't just sign someone that would directly compete for PT might be perceived by Martin as the better place for pt, regardless of whether it's really true.

« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2014, 09:46:01 PM »
80 minutes available at the 4-5 positions. Thomas, Co and Martin divide up the PT that's 27 minutes apiece and with rest time and foul trouble plenty of time to go around. I know highlight tapes are not much to go on but to me Martin looks like the best of the 3. You the man Ryan, come join the party!  :up:

desco80

« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2014, 10:26:10 PM »
80 minutes available at the 4-5 positions. Thomas, Co and Martin divide up the PT that's 27 minutes apiece and with rest time and foul trouble plenty of time to go around. I know highlight tapes are not much to go on but to me Martin looks like the best of the 3. You the man Ryan, come join the party!  :up:

Jones?  Delarosa ?  They're going to get some pt.   some even think Christian jones starts.  It wouldn't surprise me if he did.

Which is why dff6 makes a good point.   

« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2014, 11:15:34 PM »

Jones?  Delarosa ?  They're going to get some pt.   some even think Christian jones starts.  It wouldn't surprise me if he did.

Which is why dff6 makes a good point.   
Good chance Delarosa not ready to help next year and their is another forward position Jones can play. It's not like we have a wing that can shoot so Dom and Jones can fight for PT opposite the PF position along with a 3 g line up when advisable. I like my teams big and powerful like a Kentucky or Kansas. Besides Sheed and Dlo our guards are just average so 3 g line up shouldn't be used much. It's not like we have Isaiah, Dumars and Vinnie Johnson.

boo3

« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2014, 11:29:06 AM »
Zach Braziller ‏@NYPost_Brazille  2m
Source says Ryan Martin of South Plains JUCO will look elsewhere after St John's landed Keith Thomas. #sjubb

DFF6

« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2014, 11:36:22 AM »
Source says Ryan Martin of South Plains JUCO will look elsewhere after St John's landed Keith Thomas. #sjubb

Sucks but not surprising.

boo3

« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2014, 11:38:45 AM »
 Seems like these days the only kids that want to compete for playing are the ones that go to Kentucky...

Let's be honest, it's not like Martin had 3 MCD AA he would be fighting for PT..

Kids today......V

DFF6

« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2014, 11:57:56 AM »
Seems like these days the only kids that want to compete for playing are the ones that go to Kentucky...

Let's be honest, it's not like Martin had 3 MCD AA he would be fighting for PT..

Kids today......V

It's a function of perceived benefits.  Kentucky produces pros, period.  Getting any material pt there is a safe bet to making the pros, whereas here, not so much.  So a recruit will roll the dice if Coach Cal comes knocking that he will crack the lineup, as opposed to Lavin, who has to sell reasonably assured pt to entice good talent.  Compounding matters, we just land Thomas, who will directly compete with him for pt  during his last season.  Martin would have been nice, but not sure he would have been the difference between making the NCAA tourney vs. NIT or worse. 

desco80

« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2014, 01:52:43 PM »

Kids today......V

It's a function of perceived benefits.  Kentucky produces pros, period.  Getting any material pt there is a safe bet to making the pros, whereas here, not so much.  So a recruit will roll the dice if Coach Cal comes knocking that he will crack the lineup, as opposed to Lavin, who has to sell reasonably assured pt to entice good talent.  Compounding matters, we just land Thomas, who will directly compete with him for pt  during his last season.  Martin would have been nice, but not sure he would have been the difference between making the NCAA tourney vs. NIT or worse. 

+1.   You can be a sixth man on UK and still find yourself drafted (see Daniel Orton).   And above all else kids care about getting to the league.
Everything else is decoration.

« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2014, 04:11:48 PM »

Kids today......V

+1.   You can be a sixth man on UK and still find yourself drafted (see Daniel Orton).   And above all else kids care about getting to the league.
Everything else is decoration.
The question that I revisit now and then is not simply how many players make it to the NBA from a certain school, but which schools have the most impact players.

When UK fans were getting all cocky about Cal's first good year with Wall, I used to retort that they hadn't had any good pros since Mashburn & Walker (along with citing Ricky's failed UK Celtics teams). 

Since then, there a few very promising pros including Wall, but the statistical and visual truth is there haven't been any game changing players out of UK in a long while.  If I'm a coach, I'd point to how many very good, all-star caliber pros went to other schools (or none at all).  It's one way to strlke down the UK 2 NBA hype machine.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 04:13:04 PM by bball purist »

sju89tr

« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2014, 04:12:24 PM »

He may have only one year left, it is understandable and we move on.

« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2014, 05:05:34 PM »
Not sure of that logic.  We have one returning big that has gotten playing time.   Is he going to select a school with no other bigs?
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

MCNPA

« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2014, 05:23:48 PM »
Not sure of that logic.  We have one returning big that has gotten playing time.   Is he going to select a school with no other bigs?

We have one big man in Obekpa who lead the nation in shot blocking.  He will be our center by default as he started to improve his offensive game last year.  In addition, we just brought in a 300lb'er in Delarosa who will command some time.  I guess he figured he wouldn't be a center here, and we have Jones and now Thomas at the PF spot to compete with.  I don't blame the kid with one year left that he might want to show out a bit more somewhere else.  I'd love to have him and the depth, but we have plenty of needs. 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 05:25:30 PM by MCNPA »