Robert Carter - Georgia Tech Transfer

• 106 replies
Re: Robert Carter - Georgia Tech Transfer
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2014, 02:24:03 PM »
Here's the word from a GT fan, LilBroey700, that posted on (UMD) Testudo Times board:

"A few are speculating about his size and ability to be a post player and all that. I’ll tell you they shouldn’t be concerns. He has the capabilities to be a versatile #4 type of player. Solid all-around game, both inside and out on both ACC in rebounding for a while this season. May need some work on his offense down near the basket, but again, solid all-around. He would’ve been the best player on our team next year, and at times this year he played like a guy deserving of an All-ACC nod. You’ll be very lucky to have him if Maryland is where he picks.

Also, word around the water cooler is that Maryland is the favorite. Apparently a lot of this is being driven by his AAU coach, and apparently there’s some draw to Under Armour there that puts Maryland out front. Will be interesting to see what happens."

My Conclusion - UA is the only reason Frank Martin was considered - lol.  Two team race - if SJ's has Carter, he will be a force down low on O and D, the all around player desperately needed for years. Then again, MD hasn't had a top notch PF in years either.

http://www.testudotimes.com/2014/5/16/5724456/richaud-pack-robert-carter-transfer-rumors-maryland#234766011   
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 02:26:51 PM by bball purist »

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2014, 11:08:02 PM »

Marillac

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2014, 12:58:53 PM »
Marillac will not like  this part of article;

"St. John's hopes the Red Storm program will have an appeal for a player like Carter. Stave Lavin's scheme allows big men to take deep shots (think of Orlando Sanchez' role or Jakarr Sampson's shot selection), and Lavin can sell a track record of getting players to the professional ranks."

Who knows, lol. His rebounding stats are good.

http://www.rumbleinthegarden.com/2014/5/16/5724542/st-johns-recruiting-georgia-tech-transfer-robert-carter

If he can get 8 boards a game, I could live with a handful of jumpers in the right situation.  I didn't have a problem with Brownlee.  What  can't stand is when they live out there and don't move (I'm looking at you Pointer).

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2014, 03:39:26 PM »
"If all goes well, it’s possible he won’t take any more visits and could commit to the Johnnies tomorrow when he leaves the Queens school or later this week."

http://zagsblog.com/articles/robert-carter-could-decide-after-st-johns-visit/

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2014, 04:02:27 PM »
"If all goes well, it’s possible he won’t take any more visits and could commit to the Johnnies tomorrow when he leaves the Queens school or later this week."

I know he is not eligible immediately but this would be a GIGANTIC get.  He is an established high major big man who has been a stud since high school.

They can then go after Diallo with some room for error.

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2014, 04:09:32 PM »
Agreed fordham.  This could be huge.  He's a consensus top-50 big out of high school who, more importantly, proved he could get it done in the acc (I haven't watched him much, but his numbers look great for a soph).  Great to balance the classes a bit too.  How can we not be excited about this possibility, unless you want to perpetuate the "lavin is a bad recruiter" narrative?

MCNPA

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2014, 04:27:03 PM »

I know he is not eligible immediately but this would be a GIGANTIC get.  He is an established high major big man who has been a stud since high school.

They can then go after Diallo with some room for error.

Agree.  A proven athletic 4 man.  Would be a fantastic pickup. 

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2014, 05:25:36 PM »
would balance the classes a bit more also than taking all those 2015 recruits as true freshman

Marillac

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2014, 06:51:23 PM »
Carter > Lawrence any day of the week.  This would be a huge addition.  Thomas and Carter together on the court would be something.  2015 would start looking a lot better.

SJU79

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2014, 09:03:27 PM »
Carter and Lawrence don't belong in the same breath, No disrespect to anybody but Carter has lottery potential.

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2014, 09:10:17 PM »
Carter and Lawrence don't belong in the same breath, No disrespect to anybody but Carter has lottery potential.
Wow. Didn't realize he was that good.

Hopefully we can lock him up

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2014, 09:50:59 PM »

He's a stud and an established big time talent.  Also a great attitude.

The reason people got excited about Lawrence was his "potential" but even more than that was the idea he could play next year because of a waiver.  But yeah take away the waiver and it is not even close in terms of proven production right now.  Carter by a mile.

mkras99

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2014, 10:05:20 PM »
Well, to state the obvious, let's hope we get a different result with Carter than with Lawrence.

MCNPA

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2014, 10:45:46 PM »
Carter is a proven player and still has a ton to show out.  He's big, strong, athletic and can be a force.  He and Thomas can be beastly on the boards and getting the ball down low.  I wish. We had him this year, but I'll take him going forward.  He's a premier PF.

Marillac

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2014, 12:08:44 AM »
Carter is a proven player and still has a ton to show out.  He's big, strong, athletic and can be a force.  He and Thomas can be beastly on the boards and getting the ball down low.  I wish. We had him this year, but I'll take him going forward.  He's a premier PF.

Carter can bring MCNPA back from the dark side!

Poison

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2014, 12:24:54 AM »
If you're comparing Lawrence to Carter Jr, is that even an appropriate comparison? Isn't one a 3 and the other a 4? One guy is a freshman who is coming off a season where he missed significant time with an injury, and the other, a soph, put up very good numbers. Not amazing numbers, but very good. Time will tell.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 12:26:33 AM by Poison »

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2014, 07:45:11 AM »
This guy sounds better than Lawrence did a week ago

LoganK

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2014, 08:11:17 AM »
This guy sounds better than Lawrence did a week ago

Based off his stats and the accolades he has received, it would seem he is.  Never watched him play, so I wouldn't know.  If he doesn't commit to SJU, I hope he's prepared to hear how horrible a basketball player and person he is :p

derk

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2014, 09:07:58 AM »
If you're comparing Lawrence to Carter Jr, is that even an appropriate comparison? Isn't one a 3 and the other a 4? One guy is a freshman who is coming off a season where he missed significant time with an injury, and the other, a soph, put up very good numbers. Not amazing numbers, but very good. Time will tell.

Agreed. Sight unseen Carter seems like a steal. Lawrence is just a bunch of headaches.

SJU79

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2014, 02:09:42 PM »
As great as Carter is he has the propensity to get out of shape and he can be a bit lazy at times. In this instance I think the year away from the game will help.