Dominic Artis - PG - Oregon (transfer)

• 163 replies

desco80

Re: Dominic Artis - PG - Oregon (transfer)
« Reply #100 on: June 25, 2014, 09:48:02 PM »
I think there was some harm done here.
Because I think the staff brought a kid in for a visit and then found out from the AD and/or prez that they couldn't continue to recruit him. 
When the school has to put out an announcement that they're not recruiting someone any longer, it's already too big of a story.   Not to mention it shows a staff disconnected from the rest of the university.   

4 of our players transferred, left, or considered transferring after the season.
With five open scholarships we brought in one out-of-shape (and possibly ineligible) local big man, and a juco with an assault record.  Plus walkons.
The staff threw an offer to practically every transfer available this year, from skinny combo forwards to point guards to reserve centers, from fifth year seniors to sophomores, and from every corner of the country to queens products coming home.   We landed none. 
Now the staff entertains a kid wrapped up in rape allegations and who admittedly sold equipment online - and seemingly has the rug pulled out from under them by the school's higherups, who want no part of this recruit.
Then the staff apparently engages in a pissing fight w a fan close to the program, because they're worried for their jobs and he brought attention to the questionable recruit they were pursuing. 
   Does any of this sound like an off season going according to plan?

This isn't a regurgitation of the "I hate lavin" platform, these are new developments that have nothing to do with how we opened conference play, Hooper taking inbounds passes, or the RMU disaster.   
We are all trying to put last season behind us, but let's be honest - this isn't the off season we were looking for.   When is it fair to question this program's leadership?   If we open with losses in the nit?  If Briscoe and diallo pop for Arizona and kentucky? 
The Lavin supporters said he's entitled to more time, and that things would move in the right direction, well as time passes I just see more questionable decisions. 
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 09:48:41 PM by desco80 »

« Reply #101 on: June 25, 2014, 10:08:59 PM »
Maybe I missed it, but what are you talking about re: the staff getting in a pissing match with a fan close to the program?

boo3

« Reply #102 on: June 25, 2014, 10:15:28 PM »
 Desco-  you are re-hashing the same stuff. I understand.. You want a change...

No matter how you spin it, I can't see how any harm was done by looking into the Artis situation..  Sorry.. I just don't.

Tiznow

« Reply #103 on: June 25, 2014, 10:20:54 PM »
When does the season start?  This off season stuff needs to end soon.

desco80

« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2014, 11:08:09 PM »
Desco-  you are re-hashing the same stuff. I understand.. You want a change...

No matter how you spin it, I can't see how any harm was done by looking into the Artis situation..  Sorry.. I just don't.

You're right, I do want a change, and you don't think it's necessary.  We all know that.
But objectively, these are new items.
You can agree or disagree that they are indicative of a problem, but did I mention in - game strategy?  Player development?  Starting lineups?   No.  And that's what has been argued ad naseum. 

The Artis thing is new.  The staff yelling at maven is new.  How they were rejected by every possible transfer is new. And, the 2014 class we've signed is a new issue because most of us said let's wait and see what it ends up looking like.

So Boo, you might not like what I'm saying, but I'm not repeating the same old posts. 

desco80

« Reply #105 on: June 25, 2014, 11:10:30 PM »
Maybe I missed it, but what are you talking about re: the staff getting in a pissing match with a fan close to the program?

Maven was pretty aggressive on twitter saying it was a bad idea for sju to pursue Artis.   Based on what he's been tweeting, it looks like the staff reached out to him and complained that he was making tthem look bad and endangering their jobs. 

« Reply #106 on: June 25, 2014, 11:33:19 PM »

Maven was pretty aggressive on twitter saying it was a bad idea for sju to pursue Artis.   Based on what he's been tweeting, it looks like the staff reached out to him and complained that he was making tthem look bad and endangering their jobs.

Desco, I'm with you on almost everything you said in your first post, but Maven is a complete clown and coward who wouldn't even include #sjubb or @SJUCoachLavin in any of his twitter rant. That is the very definition of being too much of a bitch/coward to say anything to someones face, OVER THE INTERNET. It's not even like saying it to someones face, it's like writing it in a letter and he was still too much of a bitch to do that, so he signed it anonymously. I don't really know if you could find a better definition of a bitch.

I could give a shit less what that little bitch says. He is hiding behind his keyboard, slinging mud at people's backs, absolutely pathetic.

Other than you giving him any credit, great post, and I agree with just about everything you said. You spun the transfer thing a little hard, when we had one player declare and another transfer (are you really disappointed we lost Hooper??????) and they happened to be best friends and roommates., but other than that, spot on.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 11:34:30 PM by Ron Artesticles »

« Reply #107 on: June 26, 2014, 09:19:20 AM »
I think there was some harm done here.

The only harm done was creating 6 wasted pages of posts for the 25 fans on this board.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 09:19:58 AM by stjohnnie75 »

boo3

« Reply #108 on: June 26, 2014, 10:17:42 AM »
I was just referring to the Artis situation.  Looking into it did no harm.  I stick by that. 

I know nothing about this Maven guy, nor do I care.  I've had my own run ins with stjbb and Lavin, big deal. 

pmg911

« Reply #109 on: June 26, 2014, 12:28:23 PM »

I agree with everything you said.. I just don't think any harm was done by bringing him in, talking to him..etc... I support the decision that was ultimately made.. They did their due diligence and decided it wouldn't be a good move.. Part of that is meeting the kid again.. That was all.

They didn't decide anything, Lavin would have taken the kid if he could have.

The school made it very clear that this kid was not coming to SJU

LJSA

« Reply #110 on: June 26, 2014, 04:07:39 PM »
I don't think there was harm done to Lavin's rep in basketball circles -- he never got too far along in the process with Artis to have done that. And he can tell the Soldiers that he tried; if anything, any relationship with them has been enhanced.

I think the harm comes internally -- the administration thinking lavin is an idiot who doesn't care about women's safety. But that's really only a problem if you are a Lavin lover. If you hate him, be happy. Because if there was any noose at all around his neck, it just got tighter.

paultzman

« Reply #111 on: September 25, 2014, 12:04:12 PM »
Guess he can be moved to 15;

@JucoRecruiting: St. John's (Lavin) was in last week to watch Dominic Artis (sitting out at Diablo Valley CC). St. Mary's and San Fran have also been in

paultzman

« Reply #112 on: September 25, 2014, 01:42:15 PM »
“@NYPost_Brazille: @TheoRabinowitz @RedStormHoopsFa @SammyAlbano let's see how it plays out haven't heard they are recruiting kid may have dropped in to say hi”

Chilleb

« Reply #114 on: December 02, 2014, 07:56:40 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/JucoRecruiting/status/539887058819751937
Been hearing this for a while , posted it in another thread for a couple weeks back. He's ours if administration will pardon him. 

« Reply #115 on: December 02, 2014, 10:08:54 PM »
Been hearing this for a while , posted it in another thread for a couple weeks back. He's ours if administration will pardon him.
would he live in lavin's apt?

Marillac

« Reply #116 on: December 02, 2014, 11:20:41 PM »
would he live in lavin's apt?
Where would Marillac live then?

« Reply #117 on: December 03, 2014, 10:07:45 AM »
I think we should sign him. Everyone deserves a 2nd chance.

paultzman

« Reply #118 on: December 03, 2014, 10:23:14 AM »
I think we should sign him. Everyone deserves a 2nd chance.
Not arguing either way on this, but I wonder what SJU President's position is on that.

boo3

« Reply #119 on: December 03, 2014, 10:49:08 AM »
This one is tough.  I'm in favor of second chances.  From what I've read about the case , DA , while not completely without fault, was not the real perpetrator / violent criminal here.   
I understands both sides and wouldn't kill the school for either decision.