Dominic Artis - PG - Oregon (transfer)

• 163 replies
Re: Dominic Artis, complicit in alleged rape - Oregon (transfer)
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2014, 09:49:02 PM »
Jayson Williams. Ron Artest. Sharif Fordham. Grady Reynolds. Abe Keita. Elijah Ingram, Nurideen Lindsey. We're a program that should shut the F up.

Why was Nuri included in this list?  I'm just unaware of anything he's done that would cause you to compare him to an alleged rapist.
Why would Williams or Artest be on the list...they did nothing wrong while at SJ

« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2014, 09:56:03 PM »
No question assuming they take him this is risky.  If it were me I would probably pass.

I can say this though SJU and Lavin have done and are doing everything in terms of investigating the charges and doing due diligence.  Everything.  You can bet if he does get admitted to SJU (not definite by any means) SJU would have done everything possible to make sure they were comfortable.  Now does that mean everyone is on board or is going to be satisfied? Of course not.  That makes it a risk.

« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2014, 09:56:51 PM »
Good point, because committing sexual assault and suffering psychological  trauma are pretty much the same thing.
Allegedly. Which could also mean he didn't commit the assault.I don't think it would be a good idea to bring in a kid with this type of baggaged, but the evidence wasn't even sufficient enough to press charges. Lets not label the kid a rapist.
Innocent until proven guilty, so they say.

If you think he was the rapist, you didn't read the article.  Artis is NOT the accused rapist.  His supposed role was that he assisted in strong-arming the woman and keeping her locked in the room as his teammate was assaulting her.

And while the charges were dropped, the evidence and smoke around the case was sufficient enough for Oregon to boot him out of school (and it ain't easy to be kicked out of Oregon) and for him to not be seriously recruited by any other high-major programs despite his talent (Cal has shown interest in him but has not offered to this point).  And as mentioned earlier, he has additional history as he was dumb enough to sell his team sneakers on eBay which is an NCAA violation.  While I think it should be completely legal by NCAA rules to profit off of your own gear, the fact that he did this publicly is just another hint as to what his decision making skills, or lack thereof, are like.

I guess PAC-12 doesn't preclude transfer intra-conference...

I think if we're being honest, if our recent results were better and recruiting outlook was more positive, this recruit would be questioned by most, if not, all

paultzman

« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2014, 07:07:51 AM »
"Artis is among a number of guards St. John’s is focusing on for its 2015 class. Others include Brandon Sampson of Baton Rouge, La., and point guard Isaiah Briscoe of Roselle (N.J.) Catholic. A source said landing Artis would preclude St. John’s from landing Briscoe, one of the highest-ranked guards in the country, who is also being recruited by a number of elite programs, such as Syracuse, Louisville and Arizona, in addition to locals Seton Hall and Rutgers."

entire article;

http://nypost.com/2014/06/20/red-storm-giving-a-look-to-oregon-transfer-ousted-in-sex-case/
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 07:09:19 AM by paultzman »

mkras99

« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2014, 07:44:11 AM »
Wonder if Zach meant would NOT preclude and forgot to add that word.

paultzman

« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2014, 08:05:34 AM »
Wonder if Zach meant would NOT preclude and forgot to add that word.

Funny, I just  reached out to him on that.  Awaiting a response.

Poison

« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2014, 09:13:02 AM »
Jayson Williams. Ron Artest. Sharif Fordham. Grady Reynolds. Abe Keita. Elijah Ingram, Nurideen Lindsey. We're a program that should shut the F up.

Why was Nuri included in this list?  I'm just unaware of anything he's done that would cause you to compare him to an alleged rapist.
Why would Williams or Artest be on the list...they did nothing wrong while at SJ

Because whether we want to admit it or not, they are two of the highest profile players we've ever had, and they represent the school. What are they most known for?

Seriously, between St.John's and Seton Hall we could fill a prison.

« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2014, 09:17:09 AM »
Zach doesn't make many mistakes so I'm going to assume it's true. Briscoe is going to be very tough to land, and now with Arizona back involved? That's an uphill battle. I have always loved the idea of a transfer stepping in for 2015 but I'm very torn on this.

paultzman

« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2014, 09:41:12 AM »
Zach doesn't make many mistakes so I'm going to assume it's true. Briscoe is going to be very tough to land, and now with Arizona back involved? That's an uphill battle. I have always loved the idea of a transfer stepping in for 2015 but I'm very torn on this.

I just spoke with Zach & he noted typo in article. He meant to say recruiting Artis "DID NOT" preclude getting Briscoe.

« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2014, 09:53:23 AM »

It was a typo, an editing error.  Those happen all the time.  A mistake would be saying SJU being involved with a recruit and it turned out to be false.  This was a grammatical error period.

SJU is very much involved with Briscoe...hate to disappoint you...LOL

« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2014, 12:02:32 PM »

Unless you count Williams throwing a chair into the stands during a game at Providence for which he was charged with a felony.

« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2014, 02:27:14 PM »
That's a tough player description to use for Artis. Jayson Williams has given back to this school. should his name always end with convicted manslaughter? Marcus Hatten or Willie Shaw, marijuana smokers?

Poison

« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2014, 02:49:43 PM »
That's a tough player description to use for Artis. Jayson Williams has given back to this school. should his name always end with convicted manslaughter? Marcus Hatten or Willie Shaw, marijuana smokers?

What did Marcus Hatten ever do to anyone? He smoked pot? Who the F cares? If anyone thinks that's a crime he should punished for you should beaten with a baseball bat. That, actually, is a crime.

And yes, Williams will not ever lose the manslaughter thing. People are really hung up on it I guess.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 02:52:22 PM by Poison »

paultzman

« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2014, 02:52:18 PM »

What did Marcus Hatten ever do to anyone? He smoked pot? Who the F cares? If anyone thinks that's a crime he should punished for you should beaten with a baseball bat. That, actually, is a crime.

Even if bat is for medicinal purposes?

Poison

« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2014, 02:56:20 PM »

I guess it depends on who you're hitting with it, and if they were asking for it or not.

paultzman

« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2014, 02:57:30 PM »

I guess it depends on who you're hitting with it, and if they were asking for it or not.

HaHa

« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2014, 08:38:37 PM »
Any chance he becomes eligible for next season?  Transferring to be close to his ill rape victim?

Re: Dominic Artis - PG - Oregon (transfer)
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2014, 12:25:26 AM »
Some guys that have been booted from schools have gotten waivers to play right away.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 12:29:18 AM by jumpinjohnny »
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2014, 01:40:55 AM »
well enough of this kid's sex life, the real question will become those athletics shoes issued by the u that he sold. Shoes may grow on trees at Oregon but at SJU they cost
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 10:00:57 AM by 96 Schermerhorn Street »

Tiznow

« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2014, 12:26:15 PM »
The posts in this thread are pretty good indicators why this recruitment is a sad mistake. 

Has Mike Jarvis invaded Lavin's brain?

This is starting to feel like 2003.