Dominic Artis - PG - Oregon (transfer)

• 163 replies
Re: Dominic Artis - PG - Oregon (transfer)
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2014, 01:22:28 PM »
I hope a lot of these posters children walk on water, god forbid they get accused of something, lol this has become a joke. damed if you do damed if you don't

« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2014, 02:00:25 PM »
If, upon his commitment, DA comes out and says something like this, I don't see how the admin says no

"In my time at Oregon, I made some poor decisions which has put college basketball into perspective. Coach Lavin is giving me a second chance, and with his help, I will mature as a man, as a student, and as a basketball player.  I am deeply sorry for past transgressions and vow to be a positive contributor to the St. John's community as I pursue my degree in New York."

This one is tricky but he would be a great fit in my opinion. I hope it works out

Tiznow

« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2014, 02:11:21 PM »
I hope a lot of these posters children walk on water, god forbid they get accused of something, lol this has become a joke. damed if you do damed if you don't

Erick, it has nothing to do with our children. 

It's has everything to do with the bad press - well deserved or not - that comes along with it.  St John's sits in a city that has sports writers who don't look the other way.  In fact, they look to write about this side of college sports.

pmg911

« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2014, 07:43:22 AM »
That's a tough player description to use for Artis. Jayson Williams has given back to this school. should his name always end with convicted manslaughter? Marcus Hatten or Willie Shaw, marijuana smokers?

What did Marcus Hatten ever do to anyone? He smoked pot? Who the F cares? If anyone thinks that's a crime he should punished for you should beaten with a baseball bat. That, actually, is a crime.

And yes, Williams will not ever lose the manslaughter thing. People are really hung up on it I guess.

**A little off topic...

Last I checked Jayson Williams was not convicted of manslaughter or even attempted manslaughter.

He was convicted of trying to cover up an accidently shooting, of which he was guilty.

Listen - Jayson has had his problems and dealt with more in life then most should have to in some respects but anyone who has known him or had true interaction with him knows he is good, generous man who is paying dearly for the mistake he made in life.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 07:45:01 AM by pmg911 »

Foad

« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2014, 08:15:47 AM »
**A little off topic...

Last I checked Jayson Williams was not convicted of manslaughter or even attempted manslaughter.

He was convicted of trying to cover up an accidently shooting, of which he was guilty.

He pled guilty to aggravated assault.

Listen - Jayson has had his problems and dealt with more in life then most should have to in some respects but anyone who has known him or had true interaction with him knows he is good, generous man who is paying dearly for the mistake he made in life.

No one more than me appreciates your obsequiousness in the face of anyone famous who's ever shaken your hand or nodded to you in a hallway, but it's mistakes plural Williams has made: assaults, gun charges, DWI. The guy shot his own dog. At best he's mentally ill and at worst he's a menace to society.

Poison

« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2014, 08:21:45 AM »
That's a tough player description to use for Artis. Jayson Williams has given back to this school. should his name always end with convicted manslaughter? Marcus Hatten or Willie Shaw, marijuana smokers?

What did Marcus Hatten ever do to anyone? He smoked pot? Who the F cares? If anyone thinks that's a crime he should punished for you should beaten with a baseball bat. That, actually, is a crime.

And yes, Williams will not ever lose the manslaughter thing. People are really hung up on it I guess.

**A little off topic...

I like Jayson too. And I'm well aware of everything he's been through. But as tragic as all of that is, don't you think it's still out of line and unbelievably hypocritical for any STJ to condemn Artis for being associated w a sexual assault?

He wasn't even guilty. As far I am concerned, he's welcome here. I'm sure there are plenty of STJ students who have done much worse. Heck, we've had faculty that have done much worse.

« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2014, 11:41:06 AM »
Jayson Williams killed someone and then tried to cover it up.  It is an absolute abomination that he isn't in jail for decades, especially when he has a record and St. John's should distance themselves as much as possible from him.  I don't care how personable he is when he has drinks with alumni and boosters. 
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

boo3

« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2014, 11:52:38 AM »
 So, fill me in here, This Artis kid was never charged with anything, correct? 

pmg911

« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2014, 12:27:22 PM »
Back to the topic...

St. John's should stay far far away from this kid.

TONYD3

« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2014, 12:51:27 PM »
I think they will check him out very thoroughly . If we take him . I don't expect a problem. We don't want any issues . The school absolutely doesn't want any issues

paultzman

« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2014, 05:45:18 PM »
"The University of Oregon has found Dominic Artis, Brandon Austin and Damyean Dotson responsible for sexual misconduct and all three players will be removed from campus for up to 10 years, according to a report from The Huffington Post."

http://wp.me/p1aWjM-265s

goredmen

« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2014, 08:07:41 PM »
"The University of Oregon has found Dominic Artis, Brandon Austin and Damyean Dotson responsible for sexual misconduct and all three players will be removed from campus for up to 10 years, according to a report from The Huffington Post."

Wonder what would happen if the school he goes to has an away game at Oregon in 15-16 or 16-17

« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2014, 08:35:28 PM »

Look if these kids are guilty then they should be hung up by their you know whats.  But this report from Oregon is a joke, it is purely self serving and allows them to "punish" kids who are never going to that school or will ever be on campus anyway.

It is a joke.  If Oregon wanted to do something real they could have done something months ago.  Oregon and the administration handled this in a disastrous way and now they are trying to save face.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 08:37:34 PM by fordham96 »

paultzman

« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2014, 08:40:30 PM »

Look if these kids are guilty then they should be hung up by their you know whats.  But this report from Oregon is a joke, it is purely self serving and allows them to "punish" kids who are never going to that school or will ever be on campus anyway.

It is a joke.  If Oregon wanted to do something real they could have done something months ago.  Oregon and the administration handled this in a disastrous way and now they are trying to save face.

No doubt Oregon handled this disgracefully.

« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2014, 08:54:16 PM »
Altman should be fired for the way he handled this mess.

Jury is still out on how I feel about us involved with Artis. I read the police report back when it first was dropped, due to being a pac-12 dude by locale, and also due to the Oregon recruiting i witnessed Brandon Austin dropping on Sheed.

Artis was the least involved as the other two, in that it seemed form the report the girl always wanted Artis, the other two just kind of "got in where they fit in" for lack of a better word.

Case remains the same, of all the transfers, i find it interesting Lavin got his name in on this one.

« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2014, 09:30:32 PM »
Altman should be fired for the way he handled this mess.

Jury is still out on how I feel about us involved with Artis. I read the police report back when it first was dropped, due to being a pac-12 dude by locale, and also due to the Oregon recruiting i witnessed Brandon Austin dropping on Sheed.

Artis was the least involved as the other two, in that it seemed form the report the girl always wanted Artis, the other two just kind of "got in where they fit in" for lack of a better word.

Case remains the same, of all the transfers, i find it interesting Lavin got his name in on this one.
you know you just can't wait to change your handle to Dominik Artisticles

boo3

« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2014, 09:39:41 PM »
 Whatever St. John's decides, I'll support.. They are obviously doing their due diligence and are investigating the case , and know far more than anyone here... Let's take it easy with the moral high-ground here... He wasn't charged with anything.. This banning from Oregon campus thing is a way of that school trying to act like they care.....way after the fact..

Duke lacrosse anyone?

desco80

« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2014, 09:50:19 AM »
Whatever St. John's decides, I'll support.. They are obviously doing their due diligence and are investigating the case , and know far more than anyone here... Let's take it easy with the moral high-ground here... He wasn't charged with anything.. This banning from Oregon campus thing is a way of that school trying to act like they care.....way after the fact..

Duke lacrosse anyone?

Boo, he doesn't have to be guilty for it to be misconduct and the kind of bad judgment you don't want on your team.   Getting a scholarship to play basketball here is a privilege, it should go to guys who deserve it. 

And, as someone on RM pointed out, there is a 20pg investigation available online, plus an analysis by the prosecutor explaining why charges weren't filed.  There is plenty of information available to us.   

boo3

« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2014, 10:41:15 AM »
 I read the majority of the investigation online..While it is quite disturbing , there are a ton of holes in the story and the "Survivor"...If there wasn't, these kids would be in a lot more trouble than being banned from Eugene for 4 years.. I'm not defending the actions, I'm just saying, If the school  ( STJ) decides to let him in, I won't throw my hands in the air and feign outrage...

I knew a couple of the families involved in the Duke Lacrosse scandal and know how a rush to judgement is bad..  Did you read that police report? Pretty scathing also..