Dominic Artis - PG - Oregon (transfer)

• 163 replies
Re: Dominic Artis - PG - Oregon (transfer)
« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2014, 10:46:31 AM »
Harrison gets suspended for eye rolling, Obepka get a pass for refusing to enter a game and now we are recruiting Darren Sharper. Bit of a mixed message going on with this program. Personally I say bring him on just to see the names he gets called on here the first time he shoots 0-5.

« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2014, 11:55:53 AM »
Most schools that have a conscious, rarely make the tournament. If this kid makes this a better team, go get him. Let's not pretend College basketball is righteous

« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2014, 02:01:06 PM »
Most schools that have a conscious, rarely make the tournament. If this kid makes this a better team, go get him. Let's not pretend College basketball is righteous

Let him play for the Gaels.

« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2014, 02:56:59 PM »
Oh it is you don't worry he'll probably windup at Iona
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 02:57:38 PM by 96 Schermerhorn Street »

« Reply #84 on: June 24, 2014, 04:22:12 PM »

And you can watch him play in March

Foad

« Reply #85 on: June 24, 2014, 05:22:04 PM »

And you can watch him play in March

ouch

DFF6

« Reply #86 on: June 24, 2014, 05:58:04 PM »
Not sure what the big deal here is with this kid.  So, he's accused of sexual misconduct.  So what?  The Catholic Church has long since overlooked such transgressions.  Heck, the pastor of my former church was accused of sexual misconduct (and he probably did everything he was accused of), and all he got was a transfer to another parish.  So, in keeping with the tradition of the Catholic Church, let's give this young man another chance to serve the community (at least the SJU community).   :angel:

paultzman

« Reply #87 on: June 24, 2014, 06:03:53 PM »
I was just contacted by Monasch who indicated SJU is no longer recruiting Artis.

paultzman

« Reply #88 on: June 24, 2014, 09:02:55 PM »
@AdamZagoria: St. John’s Pulls Out of Dominic Artis Recruitment http://t.co/pFp5pDBTeG

« Reply #89 on: June 24, 2014, 09:46:41 PM »
@AdamZagoria: St. John’s Pulls Out of Dominic Artis Recruitment http://t.co/pFp5pDBTeG
Couldn't AZ have been a little more sensitive and used a different descriptive phrase than "pulls out"?  :-\
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 09:48:46 PM by Celtics11 »

« Reply #90 on: June 24, 2014, 10:40:06 PM »
I don't understand why Lavin invited DA to an official before getting getting the okay by admin to offer this kid.  This ultimately cost the school money and resulted in some unnecessary bad press.  Poor planning.     

desco80

« Reply #91 on: June 24, 2014, 10:49:26 PM »

That is too broad of a statement to apply here.  Many schools have "scandals", but there is a big difference between a team where a player doesn't make the grades, a player who gets caught smoking weed in his dorm, and a program actively recruiting a player the whole country knows gangbanged a drunk chick with his teammates.   
Not every school recruits guys like this.   

This was an ill advised adventure on many levels.   Optics, team chemistry, fan support, religious values etc.

desco80

« Reply #92 on: June 24, 2014, 10:50:55 PM »
I don't understand why Lavin invited DA to an official before getting getting the okay by admin to offer this kid.  This ultimately cost the school money and resulted in some unnecessary bad press.  Poor planning.   

I know, it's almost as if he's throwing shit against the wall this summer trying to land any transfer he can....

Poison

« Reply #93 on: June 24, 2014, 11:03:40 PM »

That is too broad of a statement to apply here.  Many schools have "scandals", but there is a big difference between a team where a player doesn't make the grades, a player who gets caught smoking weed in his dorm, and a program actively recruiting a player the whole country knows gangbanged a drunk chick with his teammates.   

This was an ill advised adventure on many levels.   Optics, team chemistry, fan support, religious values etc.

Why you suppose religious values didn't get Grady Reynolds expelled for assualt? STJ backed off this kid, but let's not kid ourselves, our program is far more known for producing thugs than stand up people.

boo3

« Reply #94 on: June 25, 2014, 12:35:14 PM »

Huh? I assume they wanted to meet the kid first  and talk to him.. No one was going to say it's ok to offer before bringing him in, that's crazy... Bad press?  What bad press?  The school ultimately decided against it..  Not following this line of thinking..  Sounds like more of the " everything Lavin does sucks" mentality.

desco80

« Reply #95 on: June 25, 2014, 03:26:49 PM »

Why you suppose religious values didn't get Grady Reynolds expelled for assualt? STJ backed off this kid, but let's not kid ourselves, our program is far more known for producing thugs than stand up people.

It's true, but it doesn't mean it has to be that way forever.    Moments like this are where you either stand by your values or toss them aside.
I'm glad SJU is looking elsewhere for a pg.

Poison

« Reply #96 on: June 25, 2014, 03:35:35 PM »

It's true, but it doesn't mean it has to be that way forever.    Moments like this are where you either stand by your values or toss them aside.
I'm glad SJU is looking elsewhere for a pg.

What values? Every coach we've had has recruited thugs. Truth is, look around the BE, we're not alone. Judging a player on what may or may not have happened elsewhere is a pretty gray area IMO. Lavin had had a rep here for bringing in talented players that have attitudes problems.

Norm's rep was the he was squeaky clean, but he still took Aaron Spears, and he was still willing to let Derwin Kitchen into school. 3 years later, he needed players to save his job, and not only was Lance Stephenson recruited hard, his past was ignored entirely.

The game is too competitive for STJ to be so high and mighty. I'm just puzzled as to why they're starting with this kid? If he was such a risk, why even bring him onto your campus?

Just an irresponsible and obscenely wild guess, but it sounds to me like Coach asked mom and dad, and they said no.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 03:36:36 PM by Poison »

« Reply #97 on: June 25, 2014, 03:51:41 PM »

Huh? I assume they wanted to meet the kid first  and talk to him.. No one was going to say it's ok to offer before bringing him in, that's crazy... Bad press?  What bad press?  The school ultimately decided against it..  Not following this line of thinking..  Sounds like more of the " everything Lavin does sucks" mentality.

Not at all, I'm actually a big Lavin fan.  I love the caliber of recruits he's brought in so far and I think the program is generally heading in the right direction.  This was just one move that had me shaking my head in curiosity.  You think the school admin was going to legitimately consider offering this kid a scholarship  but then met him and changed their mind?  I have a hard time believing that.  I think the two nypost stories highlighting his past history of sexual assault along with the detailed report of the incident itself, Oregon banning him from campus, and the St John's fan base's predominantly pessimistic attitude abt bringing him here (as evidenced on this site) was enough for the admin to say no thank you.   I think they should have had the foresight to see that coming. 

boo3

« Reply #98 on: June 25, 2014, 03:58:59 PM »

Not at all, I'm actually a big Lavin fan.  I love the caliber of recruits he's brought in so far and I think the program is generally heading in the right direction.  This was just one move that had me shaking my head in curiosity.  You think the school admin was going to legitimately consider offering this kid a scholarship  but then met him and changed their mind?  I have a hard time believing that.  I think the two nypost stories highlighting his past history of sexual assault along with the detailed report of the incident itself, Oregon banning him from campus, and the St John's fan base's predominantly pessimistic attitude abt bringing him here (as evidenced on this site) was enough for the admin to say no thank you.   I think they should have had the foresight to see that coming. 

I agree with everything you said.. I just don't think any harm was done by bringing him in, talking to him..etc... I support the decision that was ultimately made.. They did their due diligence and decided it wouldn't be a good move.. Part of that is meeting the kid again.. That was all.

« Reply #99 on: June 25, 2014, 07:39:29 PM »
No inside info but Lavin could've been doing a favor for whoever Artis's recruiting handler is out west.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!