Richard Freudenberg, SF, Germany - ST. JOHN'S

• 390 replies

Moose

Re: Richard Freudenberg, SF, Germany - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #260 on: February 15, 2016, 08:32:21 PM »
6-9 and great form, athletic.... he will learn rapidly.  By his junior year he will be excellent.  Why would anyone have 2nd thoughts?

Because there is no group of bipolar fans more than those of SJU
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #261 on: February 15, 2016, 08:53:17 PM »
Some SJU fans are so chronically disappointed that they have nutty expectations of new players. If this kid is a high quality player in year three be happy. If he progresses more quickly, that's gravy. "Dirk"is not who will set foot in CA in year one. Give him time.

« Reply #262 on: February 16, 2016, 11:13:42 AM »
So, Marcus LoVett won't be an All American next year? :D

TONYD3

« Reply #263 on: February 16, 2016, 11:22:26 AM »
6-9 and great form, athletic.... he will learn rapidly.  By his junior year he will be excellent.  Why would anyone have 2nd thoughts?

Yeah some were mad last year when we actually won games.

Moose

« Reply #264 on: February 16, 2016, 02:57:24 PM »

Some criticize a first year coach but forget what got us here
Carry on!

Poison

« Reply #265 on: February 16, 2016, 03:39:24 PM »

Carry on!

It's unfair to put all of the blame on Mullin for our winless BE record, but he and his staff should get some of it, no?

Moose

« Reply #266 on: February 16, 2016, 04:02:18 PM »

Carry on!

It's unfair to put all of the blame on Mullin for our winless BE record, but he and his staff should get some of it, no?

Sure if you want.  Not being cavalier.  If you want to place some blame sure.
I just find it funny some people would defend Lavin but kill Mullin.  That's all.

Me personally I DGAF about this year.  It's been over for awhile in my mind.  I have my standards for next year and funny most will probably think they are too lofty.  But I just know how the sooner you're good the better it will make things long term.  The longer it takes the more chance of things happening to derail things.

derk

« Reply #267 on: February 16, 2016, 04:11:53 PM »

Carry on!

I just find it funny some people would defend Lavin but kill Mullin.  That's all.

Me personally I DGAF about this year.  It's been over for awhile in my mind.  I have my standards for next year and funny most will probably think they are too lofty.  But I just know how the sooner you're good the better it will make things long term.  The longer it takes the more chance of things happening to derail things.

Except we've gone through so many 5 year plans that left us in worse shape then when we began, that it's understandably scary to get an 0' fer. The big difference is we've never had a recruiting combo quite like Slice and Matt.

« Reply #268 on: February 16, 2016, 04:15:07 PM »

Unlike college football, 1 or 2 good recruiting classes can quickly turn around a college BB team's fortunes
I agree with Moose and expect us to be much better sooner rather than later

Moose

« Reply #269 on: February 16, 2016, 04:25:16 PM »

Carry on!

Except we've gone through so many 5 year plans that left us in worse shape then when we began, that it's understandably scary to get an 0' fer. The big difference is we've never had a recruiting combo quite like Slice and Matt.

That's my point.  5 year plans are BS.  You get set back.  You need to win quick and get the ball rolling in the right direction.  Making the tournament in year 4 for the first time is not good.

Marillac

« Reply #270 on: February 16, 2016, 05:08:32 PM »
You really never know how a foreign kid's game  will translate in America. That said, I feel better about RF because he has + athletic ability and fantastic size and length. He's played against a very high level of competition and always seems to hold his own or better in spite of almost always being the youngest player.

Worst case, he is a stretch four and occassional three to spread the floor and provide offense in a platoon with Yakwe and his d and rebounding. I think  the floor is really high with him and he is clearly a better prospect than any of our other foreign players in recent memory.

TONYD3

« Reply #271 on: February 16, 2016, 06:08:51 PM »

Carry on!

And you expect us to be good next year? I don't! We will be better because we can't be this bad. Good is a winning record. I think we fall well short of that. And again many will blame the former coach.
Please share your standards.

Wods317

« Reply #272 on: February 16, 2016, 06:18:49 PM »

Carry on!

And you expect us to be good next year? I don't! We will be better because we can't be this bad. Good is a winning record. I think we fall well short of that. And again many will blame the former coach.

8 of the 10 Big East teams have a winning record, that's not much of an accomplishment. I think we will have a winning record next year with for sure. We are going to have a huge influx of talent for next year. Granted it's a lot of young talent but just look at Marquette and I think we will have a similar record to them next year.

Johnny23

« Reply #273 on: February 16, 2016, 07:49:33 PM »
I hope the staff adds a strong X's and O's coach this offseason. I know it's not likely with Richmond on the staff but they really need some good in-game coaching. We've seen numerous mid major type programs around the country who've become high major like Butler and Wichita St. because of great coaching.

« Reply #274 on: February 16, 2016, 07:52:36 PM »
In my opinion, anyone who states that we won't have a winning record next year has no appreciation for the transformational talent coming in next year.  Barring injury and ineligibility, I expect a .500 record in conference next year.  The upgrade in guard talent is immense.

« Reply #275 on: February 16, 2016, 08:39:24 PM »
I hope the staff adds a strong X's and O's coach this offseason. I know it's not likely with Richmond on the staff but they really need some good in-game coaching. We've seen numerous mid major type programs around the country who've become high major like Butler and Wichita St. because of great coaching.

I don't see that happening as long as St. Jean is there.  Mullin seems loyal to him and in time I think St. Jean will be solid.  Seems made for coaching based on pedigree and has strong academic background.

What is the official max allotment of coaches ? Does Richmond's more limited role as special asst. take the spot of another assistant coach like Slice, MA or St. Jean?

Moose

« Reply #276 on: February 16, 2016, 08:42:05 PM »

Carry on!

I don't expect to do anything but pay taxes and die. Oh and I guess be disappointed by SJU. Those are the only things I expect.

As others have pointed being Top 6 in the conference is not exactly a monumental task. We need to be top 6. If we aren't then I wonder about the makeup of the team and who leaves for whatever reason whether we agree it's the right move or not.

Now if we are top 6 and either bubble or NIT then the good times keep snowballing and we parlay that into even bigger year 3 and 4 and we don't have to build up for 1 bid.

Hope my standards sit well with you ;)

« Reply #277 on: February 16, 2016, 08:47:13 PM »

Carry on!

we get it Tony. you are a huge Lavin fan over and over and think the staff would have rolled this year with Opekpa , Jordan, Sampson, ect. The school made a decision to move foward. Truthfully I dont blame SL. Cancer can have a profound effect on your priorities and life outlook. The staff on the other hand , well they just stole money truthfully. We all know this year is toast. Next year we will be over .500 , maybe not in the conference but overall. You seem to forget we lack a point guard this whole season. SJU is like the knicks and Calderon. Slow non athletic point that can shoot it ( until lately) and gets burned on D over and over. That puts alot of pressure on everyone else on D to recover. Lets wait till we have all the pieces and then decide. If we can NIT in 17 and NCAA in 18 this train will be rolling and we will never have this conversation again.

Poison

« Reply #278 on: February 16, 2016, 08:51:53 PM »

Carry on!

Fair enough. I actually think Lavin has been defended and ridiculed pretty fairly on this board. He wasn't the answer for several reasons, but he also deserves credit for some of the best moments we've had as fans in a long time.

As far as Mullin goes, as awful as this season has been, As I look at the big picture (In terms of what could be) I don't think we can judge him, or really any coach, until we see what they are trying to show us. Next season, a big jump is important. I agree the longer it takes, the less likely it is. We saw it with Roberts. That said, next season can't be blamed on eligibility issues, injuries or a lack of time.

Johnny23

« Reply #279 on: February 16, 2016, 10:27:14 PM »

I don't see that happening as long as St. Jean is there.  Mullin seems loyal to him and in time I think St. Jean will be solid.  Seems made for coaching based on pedigree and has strong academic background.

What is the official max allotment of coaches ? Does Richmond's more limited role as special asst. take the spot of another assistant coach like Slice, MA or St. Jean?

I also think St. Jean can be good in time. However Richmond is the question mark. Not sure on max # of coaches and I'm also not sure if he can be replaced with a full time asst. coach or just special asst.