Rawle Alkins - SG - Word of God - ARIZONA

• 1011 replies

paultzman

Re: Rawle Alkins
« Reply #540 on: January 19, 2016, 10:40:40 PM »
I've seen others say this before but I think we are serious contenders for Rawle. I started following him on snapchat and although I don't get as many basketball highlights of him as I had hoped, I am seeing a lot of stuff that works in our favor. As I mentioned in my first post, he was sporting a St. John's hat. He was also showing he was pissed off going back to north carolina and he had a photographer going around taking pictures of him in manhattan. Kid loves the limelight and might be taking pictures for an announcement post of his homecoming. This is pure speculation but just sharing what I have been seeing.

Also think we are in great shape for Freudenberg.
As I said before, he's definitely considering us.  But at the same time, he certainly does not know what he wants to do.  He hasn't taken any officials yet and he loves attention.   He definitely will NOT verbal before the late signing period in the spring.  I have no idea what is going on with Freudenberg.

Getting Freudenberg

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #541 on: January 20, 2016, 12:52:54 AM »
I've seen others say this before but I think we are serious contenders for Rawle. I started following him on snapchat and although I don't get as many basketball highlights of him as I had hoped, I am seeing a lot of stuff that works in our favor. As I mentioned in my first post, he was sporting a St. John's hat. He was also showing he was pissed off going back to north carolina and he had a photographer going around taking pictures of him in manhattan. Kid loves the limelight and might be taking pictures for an announcement post of his homecoming. This is pure speculation but just sharing what I have been seeing.

As I said before, he's definitely considering us.  But at the same time, he certainly does not know what he wants to do.  He hasn't taken any officials yet and he loves attention.   He definitely will NOT verbal before the late signing period in the spring.  I have no idea what is going on with Freudenberg.

Getting Freudenberg

I don't doubt you for a second, but if its such a sure thing why doesn't he just verbal already?

« Reply #542 on: January 20, 2016, 12:55:49 AM »

As I said before, he's definitely considering us.  But at the same time, he certainly does not know what he wants to do.  He hasn't taken any officials yet and he loves attention.  He definitely will NOT verbal before the late signing period in the spring.  I have no idea what is going on with Freudenberg.

You putting on that reverse jinx?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #543 on: January 20, 2016, 01:14:00 AM »
Have no fear Baldi will post tomorrow that he is transferring

« Reply #544 on: January 20, 2016, 06:11:07 AM »

Never said anyone was transferring.

paultzman

« Reply #545 on: January 20, 2016, 08:14:34 AM »

Getting Freudenberg

I don't doubt you for a second, but if its such a sure thing why doesn't he just verbal already?

Shortly perhaps. Would you rather he wait until the Spring? :)

Moose

« Reply #546 on: January 20, 2016, 09:29:22 AM »

Getting Freudenberg

Shortly perhaps. Would you rather he wait until the Spring? :)

But why why why
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #547 on: January 20, 2016, 01:24:32 PM »

Never said anyone was transferring.

No, you just insinuated.

« Reply #548 on: January 20, 2016, 05:10:13 PM »

As I said before, he's definitely considering us.  But at the same time, he certainly does not know what he wants to do.  He hasn't taken any officials yet and he loves attention.  He definitely will NOT verbal before the late signing period in the spring.  I have no idea what is going on with Freudenberg.

You putting on that reverse jinx?
If it was possible for me to do that, Dave, I would do it.

paultzman

« Reply #550 on: January 21, 2016, 11:39:56 AM »

Tha Kid

« Reply #551 on: January 21, 2016, 12:36:06 PM »
http://www.timesledger.com/stories/2016/4/alkinsrecruit_2016_01_22_q.html

Dismisses biggest (only) reason he would have for coming here.

I dont think he's coming, but if thats all you took from the article, you are reading selectively (and negatively).

"While Alkins has adjusted to life in North Carolina, where there’s more isolation than he is used to, he is still a city kid at heart. His family has made the trip down a few times to watch him play and check in. He joked that there are times when there is nothing to do down there and he is bored."

Someone could read that and think he wants to play in a city.  Also what kid wants to admit they are homesick, if they are?
"I drink and I know things"

Wods317

« Reply #552 on: January 21, 2016, 12:56:43 PM »

I dont think he's coming, but if thats all you took from the article, you are reading selectively (and negatively).

"While Alkins has adjusted to life in North Carolina, where there’s more isolation than he is used to, he is still a city kid at heart. His family has made the trip down a few times to watch him play and check in. He joked that there are times when there is nothing to do down there and he is bored."

Someone could read that and think he wants to play in a city.  Also what kid wants to admit they are homesick, if they are?

Don't think he is coming here either but nothing in that article is new or a negative to St. John's. He talks about not being at home because even if he goes to St. John's he will be living on campus and not at home much while also traveling a lot during the season. This doesn't change my view of the situation at all.

« Reply #553 on: January 21, 2016, 01:35:32 PM »

He listed us with a bunch of programs much better than us. While it was always a long shot in order to have any hope you need him to say 'I love NY and want to stay close to home, my family and friends". He said the exact opposite which takes away SJU only advantage.

Tha Kid

« Reply #554 on: January 21, 2016, 01:41:01 PM »

He listed us with a bunch of programs much better than us. While it was always a long shot in order to have any hope you need him to say 'I love NY and want to stay close to home, my family and friends". He said the exact opposite which takes away SJU only advantage.

This guy wants the attention.  Even if he KNOWS its St Johns now, he would make generic statements to keep suspense high.  He probably knows he's X other school now and is doing same thing, but this article suggested nothing new that reduces our chances in my mind.  I give us about a 13.5% chance.  Slightly better than the 1/11 we have if you just count the schools he lists.

« Reply #555 on: January 21, 2016, 01:45:53 PM »

This guy wants the attention.  Even if he KNOWS its St Johns now, he would make generic statements to keep suspense high.  He probably knows he's X other school now and is doing same thing, but this article suggested nothing new that reduces our chances in my mind.  I give us about a 13.5% chance.  Slightly better than the 1/11 we have if you just count the schools he lists.

Only get kids like that if they want to stay home over all else or they will be eligibility risk and we take a shot on them.
For the record I am looking forward to Ponds / Lovett backcourt anyway so makes no never mind to me.

Tha Kid

« Reply #556 on: January 21, 2016, 01:48:23 PM »

Only get kids like that if they want to stay home over all else or they will be eligibility risk and we take a shot on them.
For the record I am looking forward to Ponds / Lovett backcourt anyway so makes no never mind to me.

Louie was a master of getting players who left either for juco or elsewhere to come back home.  Rawle has already left, so the novelty MAY (or may not) have worn off.  I think we have a better chance at Rawle because he left already.  Hopefully the wanderlust is gone now.

« Reply #557 on: January 21, 2016, 02:40:09 PM »
I think the one thing that sticks out is that he is going to miss games in order to take his officials.  If I was a team mate/coach it would bother me.

Marillac

« Reply #558 on: January 21, 2016, 02:44:42 PM »
We will land Rawle as long as Louisville doesn't come hard at him. 

He looks like a one-and-done now, but his age (no clue what it is) will play a big role.  Sometimes older and more developed kids can dominate high school, but the competition catches up to them (Felipe Lopez). 

Wods317

« Reply #559 on: January 21, 2016, 02:59:03 PM »
We will land Rawle as long as Louisville doesn't come hard at him. 

He looks like a one-and-done now, but his age (no clue what it is) will play a big role.  Sometimes older and more developed kids can dominate high school, but the competition catches up to them (Felipe Lopez). 

Is this a gut feeling or inside info that you think we are in such a strong position to land him? Even if he is something slightly less then advertised he will still be an impact player and a huge recruit for how the program is viewed.