Rawle Alkins - SG - Word of God - ARIZONA

• 1011 replies

goredmen

Re: Rawle Alkins
« Reply #860 on: March 07, 2016, 09:31:31 PM »
St. John's got the best player in New York. The 2nd best player never wanted to come here.

You're saying Ponds is better than Rawle?

Yes better scorer and more impactful player. Better suited for this team too.

Rawle is a very good player but I think this team is better off without him.

Insane statements, imo

« Reply #861 on: March 07, 2016, 09:42:21 PM »
Now we're just getting stupid. We finished 1 and 17 in conference, but we're better off without a 5 star NYC guard built like a bull? Sheer lunacy.

I love Ponds and LoVett too, but we're better with them AND Rawle, AND Maker, AND with any other5 star kid the staff can land.

« Reply #862 on: March 07, 2016, 09:47:33 PM »
Now we're just getting stupid. We finished 1 and 17 in conference, but we're better off without a 5 star NYC guard built like a bull? Sheer lunacy.

I love Ponds and LoVett too, but we're better with them AND Rawle, AND Maker, AND with any other5 star kid the staff can land.
Yeah thank God we never got the likes of Lew Alcindor, Julius Erving, Gary Payton and the like.

Poison

« Reply #863 on: March 07, 2016, 09:51:55 PM »
Never seen him play. But he is 6'8 and scores and rebounds. Sounds good to me. Not saying I don't want Rawle but 1 year of this guy may be better for the team.

7.1 points per game in a low level conference? He sounds like Ron M'vouika. This seems like a terrible idea, and a really good example of not learning your lesson. Alkins is the kind of player Mullin was brought in to keep. There is no way to paint a pretty picture here. He either comes, or the staff struck out.

I think you are looking at the wrong player

What's the guy's name? Maybe I am.

« Reply #864 on: March 07, 2016, 09:53:41 PM »
Hate to disagree with you PR on a night like this, but the time to recruit is now.  When you have a new staff, their is a recruiting  window with all of the excitement and promise.  But it closes in a couple of years if you don't show significant progress early.  Unless you cheat like Willard.

There hasn't been much excitement and promise this season so there's none of that to parlay. 
Exactly!  That's my concern.  We finished 1-17 and now we've missed on our no. 1 recruit.  You only win one game in conference and your program loses some of it's luster.  People are expressing positivity tonight which is good.  Too much negativity around here lately.  Lets pick it up in the spring and over the summer.

The thing that I disagree with you about is that one has to be patient in recruiting.  No!!!  You have to come out of the gate with both guns blazing.  Right from the start, otherwise you lose you're momentum and the window closes. We're adding missing pieces but we lose our wings this year.  They need to be replaced by better wings. We get Ahmed who I think will be better, but we need one more.  We also need a big who can hold his ground in the post. One who can also rebound and defend and have a little offense.  It'll have to be two fifth year transfers.  Unfortunately, this has Mussini going back to Italy.

We got this class because of the "new coach window" PR.  It's important to keep that going.  RIGHT NOW.

goredmen

« Reply #865 on: March 07, 2016, 09:54:00 PM »
Never seen him play. But he is 6'8 and scores and rebounds. Sounds good to me. Not saying I don't want Rawle but 1 year of this guy may be better for the team.

7.1 points per game in a low level conference? He sounds like Ron M'vouika. This seems like a terrible idea, and a really good example of not learning your lesson. Alkins is the kind of player Mullin was brought in to keep. There is no way to paint a pretty picture here. He either comes, or the staff struck out.

I believe (and hope) the rumors are about Anthony Livingston

« Reply #866 on: March 07, 2016, 09:54:24 PM »

I was fine moving on from Alkins earlier in the season, but after getting our arse routinely kicked (handily on several occasions), then I changed my tune.  "Get all the talent you can" has been my motto!     

Poison

« Reply #867 on: March 07, 2016, 10:01:39 PM »

I believe (and hope) the rumors are about Anthony Livingston

Who is that?

Poison

« Reply #868 on: March 07, 2016, 10:03:31 PM »
Staff may have recruited Alkins, but from what I'm listening to now on the U, I don't think he saw anything at St.John's that he wanted to be a part of. Can't blame him for not wanting to join a pile a shit. And that's what the staff presented to him, whether we like it or not.

« Reply #869 on: March 07, 2016, 10:14:53 PM »
Staff may have recruited Alkins, but from what I'm listening to now on the U, I don't think he saw anything at St.John's that he wanted to be a part of. Can't blame him for not wanting to join a pile a shit. And that's what the staff presented to him, whether we like it or not.

So true, doubt we get Thon now.  Any other 4 stars lurking to add, or are we stuck with 3s to fill out roster?

« Reply #870 on: March 07, 2016, 10:24:27 PM »

So true, doubt we get Thon now.  Any other 4 stars lurking to add, or are we stuck with 3s to fill out roster?
Would prefer a grad transfer or transfer there is no need to waste valuable schollies as we will have a limited number available over the next few years.

« Reply #871 on: March 07, 2016, 11:10:40 PM »
How did our current transfers work out?

« Reply #872 on: March 07, 2016, 11:16:26 PM »
They didn't.  But that doesn't mean we should forego this route in its entirety, especially with the success Matt A had with transfers at Iowa State.  Had a guy like Durand Johnson been surrounded with better players, and been asked to do less, I think he would have been far more successful.

goredmen

« Reply #873 on: March 07, 2016, 11:18:50 PM »
How did our current transfers work out?

The great thing about 5th year transfers is that they are extremely low risk. If they don't work out they ride the bench and the scholarship is available after one year again. Some of Matt's most important players in making Iowa St. good and consistent were transfers.

QuanMan

« Reply #874 on: March 07, 2016, 11:43:31 PM »
Watching Slice and Matt do what they do best over the next 6 months is going to be fun.
Section 3
Section 116

Wods317

« Reply #875 on: March 07, 2016, 11:43:45 PM »

We have one scholarship left so we don't have to reach to add anyone.

« Reply #876 on: March 08, 2016, 12:03:13 AM »

Will be fun to see how many college games played Rawle and Maker combine to have
They didn't.  But that doesn't mean we should forego this route in its entirety, especially with the success Matt A had with transfers at Iowa State.  Had a guy like Durand Johnson been surrounded with better players, and been asked to do less, I think he would have been far more successful.

Johnson was a Slice recruit. Pitt connection.

It's been a rough year but decent stop gaps.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #877 on: March 08, 2016, 12:07:56 AM »
St. John's got the best player in New York. The 2nd best player never wanted to come here.

Insane statements, imo

Would be bad for chemistry. Don't need that.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

goredmen

« Reply #878 on: March 08, 2016, 12:20:15 AM »

Insane statements, imo

Would be bad for chemistry. Don't need that.

How so? What has he done at Christ The King or Word Of God that would make you say that?

wpc77

« Reply #879 on: March 08, 2016, 12:34:22 AM »

Will be fun to see how many college games played Rawle and Maker combine to have

Johnson was a Slice recruit. Pitt connection.

It's been a rough year but decent stop gaps.

If Maker goes to ND, probably about 96 games.  If not...