Rawle Alkins - SG - Word of God - ARIZONA

• 1011 replies
Re: Rawle Alkins - SG - Word of God - ARIZONA
« Reply #980 on: March 10, 2016, 10:47:07 AM »
Kris Dunn freshman year played 27mpg shot 31% and averaged 3.8ppg
Isaiah Whitehead shot 36% last year
Ryan Arcidiacano freshman year played shot 34% averaged 11ppg

I think some of you guys have unrealistic expectations sometimes of players early in their career. Patience.

So the unrealistic expectations aren't from the people who say Mussini is the best shooter since Chris Mullin, it's the people who say he isn't. Good point.

I think Mussini is a really good shooter who has taken some tough shots this year. He has good touch around the basket but struggles with contact. Physically limited defensively but has good active hands. All signs point to improvement with physical maturity and I'm good with that.

I agree with all that except there's no evidence that he's a really good shooter. The evidence is that he's a really bad shooter who looks like he should be a really good shooter. Saint John's has had many of those over the years. It may be that he's exhausted or that his confidence is shot or just that he's a freshman or whatever. But between two camps, one which says he's going to explode next year because he's the best shooter since Mullin and another that says the fact that he's shooting 20 percent from three in 85 percent of his games suggests he's not the best shooter since Mullin, it's odd that the fact based ones need to temper their expectations. Personally I'd like to watch a basketball program where almost no freshman play ever, not just because most of them are awful but because it suggests that the program is operating from a position of strength that can be sustained over the long term. My expectation is that if Mussini is a key player next year then SJ will not be in that position, because he has physical limitations that will be difficult for him to overcome. Kris Dunn and Whitehead are is 6'4 and 220 pounds. Mussini is an Oompa Loompa. He'd have to do a lot of things really really well to deserve to be mentioned in the same breath with those two.

I'm going by the tape not the numbers. He has a good stroke, footwork, and ability to shoot off the bounce. A lot of his misses are due to forced shots and fatigue. 2 things that are very correctable.

Mila Kunis is smoking hot but she's not a very good actress. If she were better at emoting she could win an Academy Award. That's very correctable. She doesn't get an award for having flaws though. Neither does Mussini.

Nobody Is handing out an award to Mussini. For all of this talk about the parity of people saying his numbers show he sucks and others saying the tape show he's the best since Mullin, I've yet to see anybody saying he's the best since Mullin or even half of what D'Angelo was. All I've seen is people suggesting that he'll essentially develop into a player that floats around what he did last night

Wasju said the Mullin thing, dont let him hedge his way out of it
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #981 on: March 10, 2016, 10:50:57 AM »

I think some of you guys have unrealistic expectations sometimes of players early in their career. Patience.

So the unrealistic expectations aren't from the people who say Mussini is the best shooter since Chris Mullin, it's the people who say he isn't. Good point.

I think Mussini is a really good shooter who has taken some tough shots this year. He has good touch around the basket but struggles with contact. Physically limited defensively but has good active hands. All signs point to improvement with physical maturity and I'm good with that.

I agree with all that except there's no evidence that he's a really good shooter. The evidence is that he's a really bad shooter who looks like he should be a really good shooter. Saint John's has had many of those over the years. It may be that he's exhausted or that his confidence is shot or just that he's a freshman or whatever. But between two camps, one which says he's going to explode next year because he's the best shooter since Mullin and another that says the fact that he's shooting 20 percent from three in 85 percent of his games suggests he's not the best shooter since Mullin, it's odd that the fact based ones need to temper their expectations. Personally I'd like to watch a basketball program where almost no freshman play ever, not just because most of them are awful but because it suggests that the program is operating from a position of strength that can be sustained over the long term. My expectation is that if Mussini is a key player next year then SJ will not be in that position, because he has physical limitations that will be difficult for him to overcome. Kris Dunn and Whitehead are is 6'4 and 220 pounds. Mussini is an Oompa Loompa. He'd have to do a lot of things really really well to deserve to be mentioned in the same breath with those two.

I'm going by the tape not the numbers. He has a good stroke, footwork, and ability to shoot off the bounce. A lot of his misses are due to forced shots and fatigue. 2 things that are very correctable.

Mila Kunis is smoking hot but she's not a very good actress. If she were better at emoting she could win an Academy Award. That's very correctable. She doesn't get an award for having flaws though. Neither does Mussini.

Nobody Is handing out an award to Mussini. For all of this talk about the parity of people saying his numbers show he sucks and others saying the tape show he's the best since Mullin, I've yet to see anybody saying he's the best since Mullin or even half of what D'Angelo was. All I've seen is people suggesting that he'll essentially develop into a player that floats around what he did last night

I said since Larry Wright. That is a big difference.

« Reply #982 on: March 10, 2016, 10:58:34 AM »

"With that being said has the nicest looking jumper since Larry Wright was sitting on Norm's bench. Might be best jump shooter since his coach. Crafty and most fun to watch on team."
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #983 on: March 10, 2016, 11:08:09 AM »

"With that being said has the nicest looking jumper since Larry Wright was sitting on Norm's bench. Might be best jump shooter since his coach. Crafty and most fun to watch on team."

Don't remember that part but clearly got carried away in the moment of one of his four good games. The subsequent 27 some odd games rendered that innocuous quote nice personic. You should never come to a conclusion about anything based off one game obviously.

The quote Fun keeps referencing was more definitive from one or two guys on other board I believe.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 11:36:13 AM by we are sju »

Foad

« Reply #984 on: March 10, 2016, 11:26:57 AM »
The quote Fun keeps referencing was more definitive from one or two guys on other board I believe.

Yes, one I remember in particular, but there were more.

« Reply #985 on: March 22, 2016, 03:24:05 PM »
If Miller bolts Arizona for the Pitt job. -- and he is reportedly  on that campus right now discussing the position -- what happens to Rawle? Does he stay at Arizona, follow him to Pitt, or reopen his recruitment?

Poison

« Reply #986 on: March 22, 2016, 03:39:57 PM »
If Miller bolts Arizona for the Pitt job. -- and he is reportedly  on that campus right now discussing the position -- what happens to Rawle? Does he stay at Arizona, follow him to Pitt, or reopen his recruitment?

I don't think Pitt is such an easy sell. At least Arizona is warm. We may get lucky, and we could use some luck after last year's rotten luck.

« Reply #988 on: April 04, 2016, 05:49:12 PM »
Tier staying Ferguson Commits - Adkins on Bench good for him

paultzman

« Reply #989 on: April 04, 2016, 06:06:38 PM »
Tier staying Ferguson Commits - Adkins on Bench good for him

Trier, Alkins. Congrats on spelling Ferguson right. :)

« Reply #990 on: April 04, 2016, 06:14:22 PM »
Thanks for the spelling correction - I can sleep good tonight

« Reply #991 on: April 14, 2016, 08:55:41 PM »
What if Alkins doesn't qualify?  With Maker being allowed in the NBA draft with a post-grad year you don't think Rawle might try to enter under the same circumstances?

Just asking.

pmg911

« Reply #992 on: April 15, 2016, 07:36:24 AM »
What if Alkins doesn't qualify?  With Maker being allowed in the NBA draft with a post-grad year you don't think Rawle might try to enter under the same circumstances?

Just asking.

Has he completed his high school course work..? I didn't think he was doing a post graduate year this year.

« Reply #993 on: April 15, 2016, 10:23:58 AM »

Just asking.

Has he completed his high school course work..? I didn't think he was doing a post graduate year this year.

No he hasn't and that is why his challenge may fail.

But I was told last night by someone that it is 50/50 with him qualifying.   The biggest thing is his clearance may drag making it moot for him to even challenge.

« Reply #994 on: April 15, 2016, 10:27:59 AM »
he hasn't signed his NLI yet. Unlikely it amounts to anything but noteworthy

Poison

« Reply #995 on: April 15, 2016, 10:35:08 AM »
If he doesn't qualify, that's the day he commits to St.John's.

« Reply #996 on: April 15, 2016, 11:17:07 AM »
If he doesn't qualify, that's the day he commits to St.John's.

At least try to make some sense when you are trolling.

« Reply #997 on: April 15, 2016, 12:09:45 PM »
Rawle had his chance to commit here while we were recruiting him.  He passed and chose 'Zona. Fine.  Whatever's going on with him, it's 'Zona's problem, not ours.  We've moved on; he should too.

We've  committed to the kids we have, and they've committed to us.  Good chance we sign Simon this weekend for added back court strength moving forward. With continued questions regarding his eligibility, we don't need the drama now should Rawle decide that the back court's become too crowded at Arizona. 

I know that Rawle's talented and would have loved an early commitment from him, ala Ponds, but the timing is very bad right now for going in a new direction.  Sounds a bit ridiculous to say it, I know, but I'd pass on him now.

Wods317

« Reply #998 on: April 15, 2016, 12:31:32 PM »
Rawle had his chance to commit here while we were recruiting him.  He passed and chose 'Zona. Fine.  Whatever's going on with him, it's 'Zona's problem, not ours.  We've moved on; he should too.

We've  committed to the kids we have, and they've committed to us.  Good chance we sign Simon this weekend for added back court strength moving forward. With continued questions regarding his eligibility, we don't need the drama now should Rawle decide that the back court's become too crowded at Arizona. 

I know that Rawle's talented and would have loved an early commitment from him, ala Ponds, but the timing is very bad right now for going in a new direction.  Sounds a bit ridiculous to say it, I know, but I'd pass on him now.

Don't disagree with you at all. He had his chance to sign with us, time to move on.

paultzman

« Reply #999 on: April 15, 2016, 12:40:32 PM »

+1