Game 28: @ Marquette

• 121 replies
Re: Game 28: @ Marquette
« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2017, 10:24:40 AM »
freud looking lost yet again

His development over the summer is going to be key to whether SJU can take a big step next year or not.  The game is obviously a little above him right now but that is not unexpected. 

That would not be a good thing for any hope we might have had.
Lovett staying and Clark and Simon contributing right off the bat are tied for the number one key for next year.
Number 2 would be Yakwe waking up from his coma.

RF if he stays 4 years, hopefully will be a contributor at some point by his Junior or Senior year.

Disagree, those guys like Clark and others I am already counting on since they would be playing big minutes THIS year if they were eligible.  And Yakwe plays major minutes already.  You can pinpoint theoretically anyone's development as a key including Yakwe.

Freudenberg was eligible but did not play a lot.  He did not play a lot because the game is above him right now.  But that does not have to be the case next year.  And his skills which I saw in Europe are very good if they can be refined with some size and strength.  And he is the type of player if you develop him can be a matchup nightmare for BE teams imho.

If Clark and Simon are good, we will be much better even if RF never gets off the bench. That was my only point.

« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2017, 10:44:35 AM »
As I stated before, the team's success also depends on better coaching. This team continues doing much the same thing. Basic things can be taught.
On offense: Ellison has zero basketball IQ and should not start or play significant minutes until that changes. There is no offensive scheme or rhythm. Have some set plays and set some picks. Ahmed is out of control on almost every drive and should stop doing it and concentrate on other aspects of his game. If AA never plays again, it would be too soon.
On defense: Box out or sit on the bench. Fight through picks. Don't have everyone collapse in when someone drives. It seldom helps and leaves wide open 3's. This occurs every game and is relatively easy to correct.
This is coaching. All these things need to be practiced repetitively. Young players can learn if taught properly.

I want CM to succeed, but he does not appear to be coaching. If he is not good at it yet, then he should bring in someone who is.

« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2017, 10:54:25 AM »
For the last half of this season, Freudenberg has played as though he is scared shitless.  Forget about looking to shoot, he gives up the ball as soon as he touches it.  I know that people want to see him develop into some kind of deadeyed 6'9 bomber, but he's been in way over his head since Big East play began.

We have three games left, with one more in the BE Tourney, and he honestly should not see the floor in that span.  Let him do whatever he has to do before next season to come back with his head screwed on right and ready to contribute, but he has not earned any more playing time this season.

His performance has been disappointing.  Based on his early games, he appeared to be a decent passer who knows the game and sees the floor well, but there has been no evidence of that since Big East play began.  He won't even take a shot now when he's inserted for garbage time.

TONYD3

« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2017, 11:20:21 AM »
As I stated before, the team's success also depends on better coaching. This team continues doing much the same thing. Basic things can be taught.
On offense: Ellison has zero basketball IQ and should not start or play significant minutes until that changes. There is no offensive scheme or rhythm. Have some set plays and set some picks. Ahmed is out of control on almost every drive and should stop doing it and concentrate on other aspects of his game. If AA never plays again, it would be too soon.
On defense: Box out or sit on the bench. Fight through picks. Don't have everyone collapse in when someone drives. It seldom helps and leaves wide open 3's. This occurs every game and is relatively easy to correct.
This is coaching. All these things need to be practiced repetitively. Young players can learn if taught properly.

I want CM to succeed, but he does not appear to be coaching. If he is not good at it yet, then he should bring in someone who is.
Still have a few more beat downs left to cement these points home. We can recruit 5 star players. You won't win unless you play defense and rebound .

Aces

« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2017, 11:29:19 AM »
These are not Chris's guys. You need the right players to fit your system and execute.

Our whole team was dismantled when Chris took over, he needed any players.  The offensive sets and movement looks nice for the most part, however the team doesn't trust one another because they know yawke cant catch, or ellision is slow and shoots bricks.  The only threats are ponds and lovett.

Next year should be significantly better, as the staff has THEIR guys in Clark and Simon. The ellison, and amar, and mussini would be relegated to the bench instead of playing 20 minutes. Its a substantial difference when you have the players, that fit your system. The team is also young, watch what calipari said a few days ago with his young team, its not easy, consistency is tough.

Ellison does not belong in BE, Mussini is a liability but is an outstanding shooter, at least hes useful.

As the staff brings in SImon and Clark, and hopefully some beast transfers, well start to see a real team with Mullins guys. We wont be in the situation anymore where we just need a bunch of players like last year.

And also, the 2018 recruiting class..... If we nab Luther Muhammed and Naz Reid, and etc. to compliment ponds and clark and simon... thats an elite combination of players and talent. You can't say that with this roster right now because we dont have the guys.

Mullin and St. Jean and the staff have a really good system when the players execute, it's just that we dont have the proper players right now. We should be excited about the future and significantly better

« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2017, 12:16:28 PM »
Confidence is key with this kid. Once he starts looking for his own more 

He did look for his own on one possession yesterday and it did offer some sorely needed comic relief in another all-around rough outing for the Johnnies.

He was called for an offensive foul while fighting to establish position on the low block.  Which leaves one to immediately wonder what for?  What would he do if he got the ball there?

We have too many players, LP included if not leading the charge, that would rather swipe at the high risk steal from behind than keep their bodies between their man and the basket.

Johnny23

« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2017, 12:34:43 PM »
Confidence is key with this kid. Once he starts looking for his own more 

He did look for his own on one possession yesterday and it did offer some sorely needed comic relief in another all-around rough outing for the Johnnies.

He was called for an offensive foul while fighting to establish position on the low block.  Which leaves one to immediately wonder what for?  What would he do if he got the ball there?

We have too many players, LP included if not leading the charge, that would rather swipe at the high risk steal from behind than keep their bodies between their man and the basket.

If Freud had Ahmed's balls minus the kamikaze routine, then he'd be a valuable addition to this team. He's too passive.

cjfish

« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2017, 12:36:52 PM »
Agree completely on LP, have seen the same thing repeatedly.  Going for the occasional steal is OK, particularly when pressing, but they must learn to be in a proper defensive stance and stay between their man and the hoop.....would lead to some charges and few opponents have the quickness to beat these 2 off the dribble.

Poison

« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2017, 01:08:33 PM »

When we share the ball, and we have at times, we play really well, but we often play greedy, and that's on the coach. Ahmed is the worst of it. At this point in the season, he should know that he's no longer in Juco, and you dribble through 3 guys for an uncontested dunk at will.

The bigger problem is the lack of understanding or interest in guarding your man, fighting through screens and boxing out. The lack of effort in all areas is obvious. I'm sick of this crap about needing size. We have plenty of size, but they're lazy.

« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2017, 02:16:11 PM »
Ahmed is the worst of it. 

The worst of what?  He's doing everything but getting assists and driving the bus.

QuanMan

« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2017, 02:19:47 PM »
Marcus and Shamorie's chemistry and friendship is obvious, but when they play individually and not as a two headed monster the team suffers. They need to be in cohesion, driving the lanes, feeding off each other, that's when we're most dangerous.

Last night was typical of most of this year's defeats. Lack of perimeter D, inept interior rebounding, no one boxing out combined with selfish play and a terrible FG%. The shot selection was ridiculous at times.

Tariq needs Darien's physicality back for GTown point blank.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 02:20:49 PM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

Johnny23

« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2017, 02:29:42 PM »
Marcus and Shamorie's chemistry and friendship is obvious, but when they play individually and not as a two headed monster the team suffers. They need to be in cohesion, driving the lanes, feeding off each other, that's when we're most dangerous.

Last night was typical of most of this year's defeats. Lack of perimeter D, inept interior rebounding, no one boxing out combined with selfish play and a terrible FG%. The shot selection was ridiculous at times.

Tariq needs Darien's physicality back for GTown point blank.

Agree with all of this plus the lack of ball movement. Also moving without the ball to try to get cuts to the hoop, give and go's, all those little nuances on O that seem be missing in a lot of the games.

« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2017, 03:49:37 PM »
For the last half of this season, Freudenberg has played as though he is scared shitless.  Forget about looking to shoot, he gives up the ball as soon as he touches it.  I know that people want to see him develop into some kind of deadeyed 6'9 bomber, but he's been in way over his head since Big East play began.

We have three games left, with one more in the BE Tourney, and he honestly should not see the floor in that span.  Let him do whatever he has to do before next season to come back with his head screwed on right and ready to contribute, but he has not earned any more playing time this season.

His performance has been disappointing.  Based on his early games, he appeared to be a decent passer who knows the game and sees the floor well, but there has been no evidence of that since Big East play began.  He won't even take a shot now when he's inserted for garbage time.

Creighton will get 100+ in a blowout, so I'd start Fruedenberg. Tell him that "hey, you better snap out of your scared shitless crap, and play like you know how to play, because we aren't sitting you until you foul out.
You came here, because you wanted to play in America, well now that you're here, you're gonna be scared to play?

If you're scared then you're already a beaten young man.
You're know how to play, or SJU wouldn't have recruited you.
Just go out and have fun, stop thinking to much.

« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2017, 04:05:26 PM »
Agree that Freud has the tools.  He is young and thin and having a hard time adjusting to the quickness of the US game.  I think he will put on the weight and strength and adjust and be a major contributor by his Junior year.  Glad the Mullin is giving him some garbage time  Needs to look for his shot more to get into a rhythm, not just defer to others. 
In some of our games Freud should be playing 30 plus minutes as garbage time starts 5 minutes into the game.

« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2017, 04:18:49 PM »

When we share the ball, and we have at times, we play really well, but we often play greedy, and that's on the coach. Ahmed is the worst of it. At this point in the season, he should know that he's no longer in Juco, and you dribble through 3 guys for an uncontested dunk at will.

The bigger problem is the lack of understanding or interest in guarding your man, fighting through screens and boxing out. The lack of effort in all areas is obvious. I'm sick of this crap about needing size. We have plenty of size, but they're lazy.
You need to look no further than the best team in our league that plays with Kris Jenkins and 5 guards to know size is overrated.  It's all about letting kids know that you play defense or you sit.

« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2017, 04:50:42 PM »

The quote above says it all, IMO.  People who simply believe if we add size then all of our rebounding and defensive issues will subside are fooling themselves. 

Once again, you don't have to be an extremely talented player to be a sound defensive player.   Anyone who believes that misnomer are also fooling themselves.

Foad

« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2017, 04:58:55 PM »
you don't have to be an extremely talented player to be a sound defensive player.   Anyone who believes that misnomer are also fooling themselves.

Name half a dozen SJU freshmen who were great defensive players. Name a team comprised of freshmen that was a great defensive team. I don't think you can.

Johnny23

« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2017, 05:01:18 PM »
Mullin and team need to spend some time watching UVA play defense. Their D under Bennett is as good as anyone's.

« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2017, 05:12:53 PM »
you don't have to be an extremely talented player to be a sound defensive player.   Anyone who believes that misnomer are also fooling themselves.

Name half a dozen SJU freshmen who were great defensive players.

Irrelevant.  Besides, I was speaking of the team as a whole.  I like how you attempt to misconstrue what I said.

Name a team comprised of freshmen that was a great defensive team. I don't think you can.

What team is comprised of freshmen?  Not our team.  A freshman backcourt?  Yes.  Freshman team?  Nope. 

Besides, who said anything about a "great defensive player?"  I said, sound defensively.  I don't recall a St. John's team compiled of freshman (the backcourt was frosh-led) during the 2000-2001 team looking this bad as a group.  I don't recall many of the Kentucky teams looking this bad on defense.  I don't recall the 2002-2003 Syracuse team looking this bad on defense.  I don't recall the "Fab 5" looking this bad on defense. 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 05:18:57 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2017, 05:14:40 PM »
Mullin and team need to spend some time watching UVA play defense. Their D under Bennett is as good as anyone's.

It's somewhat of a gimmick defense, IMO, but Bennett and his kids has damn-near perfected it at Virginia.  It's called the Pack-Line defense.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 05:16:42 PM by mjdinkins »